Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Who's checking out your Z?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 03:49 AM
KY350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's checking out your Z?

I notice that 95% of all the "looks" I get, oops, my Z gets is from males. I'm talking guys of all ages, from teenagers to retirees! Very rarely does the car get looks from females
For example, I was driving the Z through uni grounds passed 2 girls and 1 guy who appeared to be in deep conversation. They all saw the car, but only the guy's eyes stayed glued to the car, even after I passed him. The ladies however kept talking to this guy, despite the fact that his attention was diverted.
When I bought the car, I though it would be a chick magnet, but not so.
This world needs more female Z loving ladies like 350zSpeedRacer, TereP, Iris.....etc, with good taste in cars.
Although, I suspect that the Z ladies drivers aren't complaining with all the male attention the car generates.
So who's checking out your Z, the ladies or the fellows?
Old 06-05-2003, 04:03 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to put things in perspective...

A long time ago I was chilling with a group of friends (female and male) in front of an eatery. The 350z rolls by and I say "Oh **** I want that car!!" and sure nuff all the guy's eyes stayed glued. We have no shame.

My female friends on the other hand gave it a glance...and totally ignored it. The car drove off and they finally said "whoah that was a nice car!!!" *exhale*

I guess they have this thing about getting caught checking out a car...a guy..or some girl's outfit.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:46 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I posted a thread awhile back, but I seem to get all the teenage girls asking me about the car. Including girl scouts.

Shame it hasn't worked as well once they get a bit older...
Old 06-05-2003, 05:32 AM
buzzdsm

I was in a convienece store yesterday and the girl behind the counter (about 21) started talking and here is how it went:

is that your car?
Yep
I love that car. I've never seen another one like it.
Ya it's a lot of fun
How much does it cost per month?
Since I had a trade in only about $350 a month
$350 a month oh my god I want to live with you.

As you can tell this girl was young and ditzy. I had a real strong urge to tell the girl that just because you have a big car payment (it really isn't that big) doesn't mean you have any money. Although I probably seemed rich to her. Maybe I'll go back and tack advantage of her young ***! Just kidding.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:06 AM
bobS

Hmm this is interesting, i would have thought girls would be all over the z. Thats how they are with my modded bimmer...people don't even care if i catch them looking..they have to look. I just don't get why i'm having such a hard time selling it to get the z
Old 06-05-2003, 08:17 AM
grayfox

I think it's corporate and brand recognition.

A BMW, Mercedes, etc., especially one that's detailed and perhaps modded - people know that that means you have money. Or they recognize the brand as expensive (even if it's one of the low end models).

The Z is different...it doesn't have that brand recognition. It is certainly will draw attention, but perhaps women (i.e. those who don't know cars) are holding back their perceived attention but they don't want to be gawking at something that potentially is "nothing".

Guys who know will gawk. Guys who don't know will gawk too.

Speaking as a girl, there's nothing particularly sexy in the older Z's (/flees from flames). However, the 350 is pure sex.

Anyway, my opinion is that people who aren't familiar with the Z line or familiar with cars that aren't household "richy-rich" car manufacturers (do you see people wearing blingbling Nissan logos around their necks?), it's not going to get the same public attention.

Last edited by grayfox; 06-05-2003 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:29 AM
scan

i get looks from everyone and there mom, girls included.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:33 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Speaking as another female, I agree with grayfox--most girls understand brand recognition before the car itself. It sadens me, but it's true.

The people that do check out my car are usually guys, but the first thing they ask is if it's my car. WTF? No I just boosted it to see if I could. I know they wonder if it's my boyfriend/husband's car, but I can easily prove their first assumption wrong, just answering a few questions.

Car guys check out anything that's cool. There's an understanding there that you boys have. But male drivers tend to think a girl checking out a car is REALLY checking out the guy driving, so I try to be more subtle about it. I sure don't enjoy it when some goofy guy in a nice car stops thinking he's gonna get a date (yes, it's happened).
Old 06-05-2003, 08:37 AM
jnebill

I think grayfox has a point with the "recognition" factor. I think that from the response I get from the Z, most people are like, wow look at that sweet "whatever it is". They have no clue Nissan would make this kind of car, so they don't dwell on it as much as they would when they see the kidney grills of a Bimmer. I'm always asked, "what kind of car is that?".

I want the new Z emblems for the front and back. Once this is done, it will say Nissan nowhere on my exterior and I'll be even more of a mystery. When people ask, I'll simply say, "It's a Zed, baby." (Semi-jumbled Pulp Fiction refererence)
Old 06-05-2003, 09:41 AM
Ryde

I notice a lot of the dudes around Syracuse (Central NY) jaws all drop when I roll by. Theres not many...I've seen maybe 2 others...and those were rare cause I haven't seen either of them again, one being a PPW and the other a RL. I barely ever see any chicks lookin when I drive by. I have seen a few tho that almost caused accidents...one was pullin up to a light as I was goin thru an intersection turnin her direction...she made some "holy ****" face at me and forgot to stop...I saw her slam on the breaks as I went by. girls...

Had some people roll up on me askin me stuff at lights. Mainly guys. The few girls that as me about it tho...and price comes up a lot. **** their pants when they see I paid 37g for it and even after putting 10 down I still pay 525 a month.

Buzzdsm...I'd kill to have your payments. Add almost 300 in insurance also. just to keep my dailydriver on the road along with the Z for weekends
Old 06-05-2003, 11:55 AM
Keven

Default Must agree ...

Afternoon, all!

I fear I must agree that my Z attracts most attention from the male of our species. I've had far more men inquire about the car - knowing what it is and not knowing what it is than females.

The first day I had the Z, I made a run to the local CD store to stock up. I parked in "cool car parking" (about two miles from the store door where no one else bothers to venture). As I walked out and over to my Z, about 30 guys on Harleys were all parked around my car and walking around it. I was almost scared to walk up to it ... LOL! But loving my car as much as I did, I just kept walking towards it.

I was greeted by a couple of them: "wow, I read all about this car in a newspaper article just yesterday - it really is all they claim it to be." Got a great reception and some pretty decent questions. I was honest in my answers - I'd only had the car about two hours so I wasn't really that hands on familiar with it but what I did know - I wouldn't trade it for a HOG!
Old 06-05-2003, 11:55 AM
Splurt

Yesterday was the first time I ever had anybody gawk at my car. I was over in Redlands at my buddy's apartment, went to pick him up to grab a couple beers and as I got outta my car in his complex like 5 guys and 2 girls in there 20's come out and were asking me questions bout the car. I've had the thing for a month and that was first time that type of stuff has ever happenned. I was a lil apprehensive tho cuz it was like 7 ppl surrounding me haha. I thought I'd hafta bust some crazy jacky chan stuff if anything went down, but my buddy came out and said let's roll.. Kinda nice to actually own a car other people are interested in.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:01 PM
buzzdsm

Originally posted by Ryde
I notice a lot of the dudes around Syracuse (Central NY) jaws all drop when I roll by. Theres not many...I've seen maybe 2 others...and those were rare cause I haven't seen either of them again, one being a PPW and the other a RL. I barely ever see any chicks lookin when I drive by. I have seen a few tho that almost caused accidents...one was pullin up to a light as I was goin thru an intersection turnin her direction...she made some "holy ****" face at me and forgot to stop...I saw her slam on the breaks as I went by. girls...

Had some people roll up on me askin me stuff at lights. Mainly guys. The few girls that as me about it tho...and price comes up a lot. **** their pants when they see I paid 37g for it and even after putting 10 down I still pay 525 a month.

Buzzdsm...I'd kill to have your payments. Add almost 300 in insurance also. just to keep my dailydriver on the road along with the Z for weekends

Get old like me (30) and move to Iowa and you'll only pay $90 a month for 2 cars.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:07 PM
Zulu

Originally posted by buzzdsm
I was in a convienece store yesterday and the girl behind the counter (about 21) started talking and here is how it went:

is that your car?
Yep
I love that car. I've never seen another one like it.
Ya it's a lot of fun
How much does it cost per month?
Since I had a trade in only about $350 a month
$350 a month oh my god I want to live with you.

As you can tell this girl was young and ditzy. I had a real strong urge to tell the girl that just because you have a big car payment (it really isn't that big) doesn't mean you have any money. Although I probably seemed rich to her. Maybe I'll go back and tack advantage of her young ***! Just kidding.
Wow, dude, you got off easy on payments! I had to put down 5k and I'm paying 585$ a month. I won't say how much I pay for insurance. Let's just say that Miami is a dangerous place to drive, I'm 26 and single, so, in terms of insurance companies, I'm a rolling corpse on four wheels.

Back on track, yeah, I get stared at mostly by guys, questions and everything. This past weekend I pulled over on a side street on South Beach, talking to a girl, and this guy that was walking wihs his gf stops and starts asking questions and, well, heavily admiring the car. I could tell from her polite smile that she was embarassed. But I get looks now and then from girls, too. Anyway, your car should be an addition to your natural charm and player skills. I know I would fare just as good with the sweeties, either on a Lambo or a bycicle.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:10 PM
buzzdsm

Yes, the good thing that insurance is low and you don't see a lot of Z's in Iowa but there are some major draw backs. It's also a great place to raise kids but I don't have any.

You will make about 1/2 as much money.
The weather sucks in the Winter if you don't like snow.
There are no Professional sports teams.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:24 PM
DrCold

Damn, what i would give to have lower payments. I pay $600 a month for the car and $250 for insurance. Wee, its great to be 23 and drive a sports car.

Up here in Idaho there's only 3 Z's in the entire town. So i get looks everywhere i go, women, men, boys, girls, hell i bet the dogs are staring too! I have so many people come up to me and want to see the car. I always try to make it a point that even if im in a hurry, i will stop show them the car and answer what ever questions they have. Don't really want to be giving Z owners a bad name.

Jay came over for a visit and I took him downtown to see the 'hang out.' There is this one parking lot where everyone goes to show off their cars and hang out. Its right on the lake and next to the downtown park. You can almost never find a parking place there, but when Jay and I came rolling into the lot, everyone just stopped and stared. We got the "woohoo" and "i want your car" yells. We cruzed around the lot one lap (its really small) and i stopped and asked some random guy "hey i need two spots side by side, you think you can do that?" He was all "hell ya man, make one more lap and i'll get you two spots." So we drove around for a couple mins and sure enough, two people got in their cars and left. When we parked it was a mini car show, people just flocked to the cars. I think the coolest thing about it all is no one will mess with your stuff. Hell, i dont even lock my doors when i go down there. I know that no one is going to mess with it. Its all about respect. I'm looking forward to the weekends where i can just go down, meet up with people and have a good time. Damn this summer is going to rock!

-edit-

I was just thinking. It'd be really cool to get a bunch of Z's from the Seattle area to come over for Car d'Alene (as Coeur d'Alene is the name of the city). Its an anual car show they hold downtown on the main drag. Lots of people show up, there's live bands, lots of food everywhere, and just an all around great time. I bet i could talk to the organizers and get the Z's a block or so just for Z's. I dunno, just a thought.

Last edited by DrCold; 06-05-2003 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:04 PM
majones

Hey, DrCold - your avatar makes your Z look like it's a light-green color. I know it's not of course, but it might make a good color addition for Nissan.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:09 PM
grayfox

Originally posted by Splurt
Yesterday was the first time I ever had anybody gawk at my car. I was over in Redlands at my buddy's apartment, went to pick him up to grab a couple beers...
!!! That's where I live! What color Z do you have? And if you don't mind me asking, what part of Redlands were you in?

I saw a PPW tooling around downtown Redlands yesterday - was that you?
Old 06-05-2003, 03:34 PM
Montez

It gets a few looks but here in the DFW area people tend to know what it is.I got more looks in my 91 300ZX TT than this car years back although and from my experience peopletend to know Nissans by models not make name ex. Z, Maxima and tend to know BMW's,Mercedes by make and model. I get that alot in both the Z and Max they know the car but who makes that.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:14 PM
RedComet

I get tons of glances from girls my age. But then again they are a bit too young for most of you.

Quick Reply: Who's checking out your Z?