Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

"Either the Z goes or I go!"...that's what she said...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 05:48 AM
wxtornado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's better you found out now how she feels than if you were already married with children. You made the right choice.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:40 AM
350z4steve

Originally posted by missy1101
Reef tank is slang for my 125 gallon aquarium
funniest part of the thread!
Old 06-07-2003, 07:52 AM
MikeW

Originally posted by Cintel7
be a little more cunning and have both. Some flowers and knee pads will get you the best of both world.

Those knee pads are good to use when waxing your Z!
Old 06-07-2003, 08:03 AM
stork_69

You made the right choice man. You can pick up one of the hundred chicks that stare at you in your Z.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:08 AM
geezer902

what needs to be done in any relationship is to set boundaries. Your kids will always test the boundary to see what they can get away with. I'm sure you do it to her. Now she's doing it to you. You have to decide whether this is a significant boundary or not for you.

Now, I've been married many years and it's worked out pretty good for both of us (I believe), and if this came up I would be very understanding of her position.

If she doesn't want to ride with me, in the Z, I can understand that. And I have no problem with it.

She has a car. She can drive herself. I'll meet her there.

Of course, the old saying about marriage, "You can be right or you can be happy" also applies. And this particular debate probably has nothing to do with the car -- as several other folk have opined, it probably has to do with control and who is more important. Giving up the car won't answer that to satisfaction for either of you. Nor will fighting over it.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:42 AM
girlracer

Why not let her drive the Z and see how much attention she gets from guys when she's driving it? As a girl who drives hot cars (TVR, Lotus Elise, Z on order), I can guarantee you that she will get more admiring glances than you get in the Z. But when I'm driving my car, I don't care about that. So maybe if you let her drive the Z and see how the stares aren't relevent, she will understand why you like to drive it and understand that it's not for the stares.

If it *is* for the stares, then I guess you need to admit to her that you're looking for someone new and both move on.

I'm sure none of us bought Z's because they'd get us action - there are less subtle cars to drive if you want to pose. Maybe if the car is that important to you you need a girl who is into cars, or at least one who understands the appeal. I'm very into cars and my husband isn't so bothered about them (although this is changing since he got his Cooper S ), but he always has fun when I take him for a drive, and anytime I go cruising just for fun with other people who have the same car (95% of them are men of course), he gets invited. He usually says no thanks, but he doesn't get all jealous. He knows I'm driving because I love to drive, not to meet guys. If I wanted to meet guys there are much easier ways!
Old 06-07-2003, 10:27 AM
missy1101

Originally posted by 350z4steve
funniest part of the thread!

Thanks, glad I could entertain!!!

Is it wrong to want to park the z in my living room and sleep on the couch?
Old 06-07-2003, 11:28 AM
Boomer

Thanks, glad I could entertain!!!

Is it wrong to want to park the z in my living room and sleep on the couch?
YES! Its like the idiot who bought a new Ferrari F40 for $395,000 in the 80's, had it trucked to his house and then driven into his living room as the centerpiece. If its still there, he would need to tear out a wall to get it out. Rolling art, the ultimate garage queen and how could you own a car like that, see it everyday and not DRIVE it?!
Old 06-07-2003, 11:33 AM
missy1101

Originally posted by Boomer
YES! Its like the idiot who bought a new Ferrari F40 for $395,000 in the 80's, had it trucked to his house and then driven into his living room as the centerpiece. If its still there, he would need to tear out a wall to get it out. Rolling art, the ultimate garage queen and how could you own a car like that, see it everyday and not DRIVE it?!
OK Evidently Ive been misunderstood.

That was only for the few hours that I can not possibly drive anymore for lack of sleep. It would go right back out the next day.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Javkal z06

sounds pretty stupid to me.

if you left her for your Z then there were obviously a lot more reasons you left her, not just the car.

Look, I love my car to death, and thankfully my girlfriend (2 years) would never make me choose, but if she did, Id choose her because I love her and a car is replacable. Yea, some women are, but not the ones you love a certain way.

so be honest with yourself.

-brian
Old 06-07-2003, 12:59 PM
missy1101

There has to be a compromise somewhere. If he just keeps giving up everything cuz shes not happy whats left of him to enjoy?
Old 06-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Boomer

OK Evidently Ive been misunderstood.

That was only for the few hours that I can not possibly drive anymore for lack of sleep. It would go right back out the next day.
JOKE! Of course you wouldn't, just hyperbole. This thread is beginning to sound like Dear Abbey.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Enron Exec

Sounds like you need a bed in your garage.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:10 PM
missy1101

Thats why its gotta be living room. I live in apt, there is no garage

but then again saltwater from tank wont be good for it either
Old 06-07-2003, 08:06 PM
leadfoot

She must have killed him in a jealous rage as he has yet to respond to all this free advice.

My wife loves me and my OCD with motor vehicles.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:17 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are compromises in every relationship.

The question you need to ask yourself is whether this compromise is worth it. Also, you should be considering why she is asking you to compromise on something you so obviously like. Will she always ask you to compromise on things you like? If you give up everything you like in order to please her, you will end up resenting her for forcing you to make those decisions. On the other hand, if you keep the Z, you may end up wondering why you gave up the love of your life for a car.

You just need to be honest with her and find out what exactly she is upset about. Maybe you can solve it in another way, or maybe this is an indication that she is not ready for a serious relationship that involves putting someone elses feelings on a similar level as her own (maybe this goes for you as well).

Personally, if I had a girlfriend give me a choice like that, it would make me question her ability to let me enjoy myself, and I would wonder if she would be this way everytime I had a passion other than her. At the same time, I would want to know exactly what was bothering her, because it could be something stupid that I did (it does happen) that could be solved without significant sacrifice.

Either way, I hope you both end up happy.

Good luck!

-D'oh!
Old 06-09-2003, 10:09 AM
ckny

Originally posted by Javkal z06
sounds pretty stupid to me.

if you left her for your Z then there were obviously a lot more reasons you left her, not just the car.

Look, I love my car to death, and thankfully my girlfriend (2 years) would never make me choose, but if she did, Id choose her because I love her and a car is replacable. Yea, some women are, but not the ones you love a certain way.

so be honest with yourself.

-brian
i think of it a little differently... if any woman (or anybody) for that matter gave me an ultimatum like that i would tell them to get lost. i don't think it's about the z OVER the girl i think it's telling a girl to get lost cuz she's crazy
Old 06-09-2003, 12:00 PM
adrie_79

lol... 5 years relationship over coz of the Z???
based on your story, she sounds really selfish man...

yeah, forget about her, and get a new girl...
Old 06-09-2003, 12:04 PM
zpeedDemon

Originally posted by Old Skooler
Enjoy your Z!
LOLOL
Old 06-09-2003, 03:16 PM
rickski

Sounds like my ex-wife. Hey you don't live in Jupiter, FL do ya? Anyways, personal experience tells me this isn't the first time your "future ex" had put you in a situation where you had to choose her or something you were passionate about...right? My ex-wife would over-react whenever I was out with friends...during the day or night. She demanded as much of my time as was available. Compromise was not in her vocabulary and didn't want to visit my side of the family either (5 miles away and not visiting caused problems with my side of the family).

If you are the only one that compromises...say goodbye. If she can't appreciate that both of you need to be happy....say goodbye. (If you can't afford the Z...say goodbye to the Z.)

My second wife is totally different about this and I love her for it. We both try to be fair to each another. She is very unselfish and understanding. 10 years and counting!

Quick Reply: "Either the Z goes or I go!"...that's what she said...