Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

The Thread every Z Driver doesnt want to Make.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007 | 08:16 PM
Hoods

I thought you were going to say you were smoked by a Honda.

Sucks to here about your Z man... gotta be careful out there. GL getting it repaired.
Old 12-18-2007 | 09:02 PM
350ZediMastiff

P.S. a Flame retardent suit is required when posting such a thread
Old 12-18-2007 | 09:03 PM
redlude97

Its not about driver skill or lack thereof, its about not having the common sense to purchase winter tires and installing them before any possibility of snow/ice arrives. is it really any surprise that summer tires+snow/ice=crash? There's like a dozen of these every winter.
Old 12-18-2007 | 09:35 PM
sporkdevil

Totaled, no question.

On a different note, what do you want for the rims?
Old 12-18-2007 | 09:45 PM
ttuberz
Banned

Jeez I love seing all the idealistic replies and "common sense" answers. I mean ya he probably should have known better but it happend in the moment. He saw ice and snow and wasn't going to just park and wait it out since he wanted to rush home and be safe. Stuff happens. And the car is definately not totaled. I hope the post above me was sarcasm. Good luck with the fix.
Old 12-18-2007 | 09:57 PM
roast

If I knew an ice storm was on it's way in, I wouldn't be speeding to beat it... I would be more focused than I normally am. Hindsight is always better than foresight though. Those saying it would have happened to any driver, well, they are wrong. Another driver might not have been traveling so fast and never lost control to begin with. Live and learn.
Old 12-18-2007 | 11:25 PM
Sea Bass

I've had the misfortune of driving my Z through an absolute white-out just last month up north in the BC interior. Living in Vancouver, I got lulled into a false sense of mild weather... totally forgetting how it was in the rest of the province (Especially north, in the bloody mountains!). It was the most terrifying 90 km I have ever driven in my life, and that's saying something, considering I have 13 years' winter experience in eastern Ontario in cars PROPERLY equipped for it.

It was that experience, though... that saved me and my Z in this storm. Best thing to do is to not worry about any other car... just go slow and straight.... make no sudden turning motions if you don't have to. I know this doesn't help you now... but for anyone else who gets caught in a freak storm, maybe....
Old 12-19-2007 | 12:04 AM
iceagetlc

Hate to be all grammatically correct and what not, but shouldn't it be, "The thread no 350z driver wants to make?"
Old 12-19-2007 | 03:40 AM
KManZ
Banned

Ouch, sorry to hear about your accident, and glad you are ok. The Z in snow is no joke, learned my lesson and will be driving my beater car in any temperature below 33.
Old 12-19-2007 | 06:50 AM
rockinbboy

aah..another one bites the dust. glad to hear you are okay and you can live another day to tell another story. Lesson learned. Drive carefully in the winter or don't drive at all.

My personal experience:
I got through 45 miles of scary highway driving of snow/slush with stock $hitenzas with some unexpected snow. Worst part is knowing that the Z is not meant for snow, so having to drive in that kind of weather just made if feel worse. I felt my back end slightly give out 4-5 times but I kept the front pointed in the direction of intended travel and eased the gas/brake appropriately so I wouldn't wreck myself. Once I got couple miles from home, I was in the neighborhood street, driving 15 mph in a 30 zone where the roads were covered with a light snow dust and I did a 180 right in the middle of the street. w00t w00t! Talk about having the worst feeling of not having control of your car! I shook my head and turned my car around to safely return home and park it.

So I feel your pain...GOT TO BE CAREFUL OUT THERE YA KNOW! haha. There are snow threads for a reason
Old 12-19-2007 | 07:04 AM
Murfdizzle21

im glad it doesnt snow in florida
Old 12-19-2007 | 09:31 AM
WhiteNoiz

Originally Posted by ryano85
thats sh*tty dude, im sorry to hear about that.. i have not been in the same situation but just imagining it is no bueno

i dont understand why people need to bring up errors and faults, theres no reason,especially when you just wrecked your fukin car! bad timing biaatches.. i hope you all get the same sh*t if you wreck
Thats what I was thinking.

Karma...

To the thread poster, sorry to hear man, at least the damage isnt that bad. 3100 for a crash repair on a Z is like the cheapest Ive seen hah.
Old 12-19-2007 | 09:35 AM
phreaktor
Design Engineer

Originally Posted by davidv
Sorry about the crash. Those of us who have had a frightening 350Z snow experience know what happened.

Others will admonish you for your “poor skills.”
+100000
Old 12-19-2007 | 09:45 AM
WhiteNoiz

Originally Posted by iceagetlc
Hate to be all grammatically correct and what not, but shouldn't it be, "The thread no 350z driver wants to make?"
Thats just a different way of saying it.
Old 12-19-2007 | 11:57 AM
fishlo

Thanks to all replies especially those with positive feedback.

f.y.i. this is not my first winter in the Z(also not my 1st rear wheel drive car) and I definitely wasn't speeding.
I was actually probably going 5-10 mph.... if that.
When you hit ice and it wants to take your car in a different direction, most of the time there's nothing that you can do. I passed SUV's spun out on the NJ Turnpike.

Grant it I probably should have been more cautious but winter tires and all that other stuff is bull. I almost lost my Z's *** over the summer, driving on an on-ramp that was wet from Sprinklers.(It was a hot dry day)

Anyway to all...have a safe and happy Holidays

FISH-Lo
Old 12-19-2007 | 01:00 PM
InZomniac

Originally Posted by JonsilvZ
I blame partly the dealer selling the car. There should be a warning about winter driving in the Z.

You blame the dealer? Me too. He should have forced you to take an IQ test before giving you the keys. LOL
Old 12-19-2007 | 02:24 PM
elms350Z

Sorry to hear about your car man, I just got into an accident myself so I know the feeling.
Old 12-19-2007 | 03:08 PM
Bigsapz

Accidents happen. Sorry to hear about it. Least your not hurt. Damage doesnt look to bad. You'll be up and runnin before you know it.
Old 12-19-2007 | 03:33 PM
steppinrazor

Originally Posted by iceagetlc
congrats on pointin that out! good job buddy! thanks so much! i was totally confused by the first title but you came in and saved the day!
Old 12-19-2007 | 05:51 PM
Sea Bass

Originally Posted by fishlo
Thanks to all replies especially those with positive feedback.

f.y.i. this is not my first winter in the Z(also not my 1st rear wheel drive car) and I definitely wasn't speeding.
I was actually probably going 5-10 mph.... if that.
When you hit ice and it wants to take your car in a different direction, most of the time there's nothing that you can do. I passed SUV's spun out on the NJ Turnpike.

Grant it I probably should have been more cautious but winter tires and all that other stuff is bull. I almost lost my Z's *** over the summer, driving on an on-ramp that was wet from Sprinklers.(It was a hot dry day)

Anyway to all...have a safe and happy Holidays

FISH-Lo
Before I respond to this post, keep in mind that in my above post I was rather supportive of your situation. Here, however, you are wrong on a few counts.

1) Going over ice at a constant speed in a straight line will not change the direction of your car... especially at speeds of just 5-10 mph as you said. Period. A slight tilt to the wheel, a little gas, or a little brake, however... will cause a weight transfer and thus then result in the possibility of loss of control.

2) Winter tires on ANY car is "not" bull. It is the single most important thing you can do to your car for serious winter driving. A RWD car with snow tires in experienced hands is safer than the almighty AWD car in the hands of an asshat.

Quick Reply: The Thread every Z Driver doesnt want to Make.