Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

snow incident

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:25 AM
incomming

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow incident

well, first time for everything, i suppose.

tried to get our of my girlfriends driveway with 6+ inches, wound up with the right two tires in their yard, and since the yard was set below the driveway i was stuck.

of course, AAA was just short of worthless, after we attempted to get it out for round 45 minutes i was put on hold by them for another 30, talking to a machine the whole time, then they set a 1 1/2 hour wait time.

during this time, i attempted to waive down the city-workers that drive around with plows. two of them slowed down and saw my car dug in then sped off, not wanting anything to do with it. one guy stopped, but had nothing to pull it out with.

one of her neighbors with a truck was pulling out, so i flagged him down and he pulled me out.. used the axle as a tiedown spot for the towrope (bad idea?) he pulled me out and came out no prob.. oh except for the fact he stopped way too effing fast instead of just rollstopping. i now have a small gash right above the liscence plate.
was so pissed.

oh, then i get stuck INSIDE a gas station on the way home, and then lost control doing 25-30 going straight. ended up in the oncomming traffic lanes, thank god no cars were comming. reversed it and got back in the right lanes.

ok enough about me raving.. i have wiring to do. need to wire my Tom Tom GPS power cord from the outlet passenger side up to the compartment right above the radio.. think i need to pull apart the covering for the radio/that compartment. ill search around.
peace. im pissed. (oh and any fix's you might know of for a small crack +1 put em up here)
Old 01-02-2008, 08:31 AM
rockinbboy

Have you not read the other snow threads and stories by other members? I see you are registered in Feb 2007...

Stock tires? Summer? I mean, the Z isn't for the snow unless you got some good winter tires and even then you still have to be careful. Glad to hear all you got is a nick above the license plate. Could have been worse.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:44 AM
ZKansasZ

Im sorry about your incidents.
Idk about you and your area but I live in Kansas and we just had 2 snow stomps the last 2 weeks. I did 25-30 mph on ice/snow without a problem(since the Z is my DD)
But I guess it was because we didnt have 6 inches of snow on the road...
Old 01-02-2008, 08:46 AM
incomming

even if you buy the Z in winter, i thought the tires that were on it stock were hybrids... in actuality they are summer only tires?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:49 AM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by incomming
even if you buy the Z in winter, i thought the tires that were on it stock were hybrids... in actuality they are summer only tires?
They are summer tires. Shitenzas RE40s right?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:38 AM
ZKansasZ

idk but I bought my 03 touring z used with Nitto555 summer tires on. Switched them out for a set of Falken912 and they are alright so far...
I thought Auto 350z has all season tires on???
Old 01-02-2008, 10:21 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by 350z-noob
idk but I bought my 03 touring z used with Nitto555 summer tires on. Switched them out for a set of Falken912 and they are alright so far...
I thought Auto 350z has all season tires on???
nope.

Next time you see snow, take a cab, or borrow someone elses car if you can, or just stay put. Its not worth the risk, the car just isnt built to handle snow.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Joepa

Sorry to hear about that mate.

Makes me glad I live in Central Texas :-P
Old 01-02-2008, 11:32 AM
RJ_KC

you live in an area that gets snow around the ..same .. time ...every ...year....

i live in kansas city, i knew going into the purchase of my Z i would need snow tires if i hoped to stay out of the ditch, i have blizzaks, i have no problems.

is 500 bux too large of a price to pay to keep your 25k+ car out of the ditch?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:48 AM
ZKansasZ

Originally Posted by RJ_KC
you live in an area that gets snow around the ..same .. time ...every ...year....

i live in kansas city, i knew going into the purchase of my Z i would need snow tires if i hoped to stay out of the ditch, i have blizzaks, i have no problems.

is 500 bux too large of a price to pay to keep your 25k+ car out of the ditch?

you live in KC area? Check out our website:www.ksautoforum.com
Hope to see u there, buddy!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:13 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Besides those couple of problems that you mentioned everything else was OK?

Last edited by davidv; 01-02-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:12 PM
at350zguyy

yea youre lucky to get out with just a knick. i was driving in i57 in illinois back to school last february and drove over black ice. this was right after the nasty snowstorms that cancelled school for 2 days in a row. anyway i spun one way and then the other before hitting the side of an underpass. luckily no damage to me but the car was in pretty bad shape. i made the mistake of choosing some hillbilly chevy dealer to fix it and it took them over 1 month to repair the car.
lesson of the day...never drive this car in heavy snow. i think i may need to move to california or something to make this a year round car.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:45 PM
SiNzz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch that sucks. I would generally avoid driving in the winter especially with those crap stock tires. I guess alot of people have no choice though. Thankgod I live close to public transit, and we don't get much in the way of serious winter weather over here...
Old 01-02-2008, 07:58 PM
imjdoggie

Be careful in the snow man just go a little slower and pump the brakes when you start sliding, make sure trying with the tcs off if you are stuck.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

I wouldn't recommend driving the Z in the winter. There have been maybe 1 or 2 accidents
Old 01-02-2008, 08:30 PM
incomming

Originally Posted by davidv
Besides those couple of problems that you mentioned everything else was OK?
yes, and ive asked around, the crack was photographed and everyone agrees it will be a relatively easy fiberglassing job to do come summer.. was just rreeeallly pissed.

happier now though, now that the wiring is done. had to drill a hole in the side of the center dash/console, but its not that bad.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Peak350

You'll definitely want to invest in snow tires man. I can feel how shitty the potenzas grip in cold in FL (aka 30-40 degree cold) so I can't imagine teens, snow, and ice where you stand no chance of heating them.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:52 AM
OlDad

Default Works for me

Okay, I have been driving my 2003 Z in the snow and ice for a month and a half in temperatures ranging from 30 above zero to 20 below without any problems. By the way, the Z is lowered a couple of inches too. I have a set of Dunlop M3s on the car. When we get a heavy snow, I leave the Z in the garage for the day and use one of my kids' cars until the next day when the streets have been plowed. I have driven rear-wheel two-wheel-drive cars most of my life in North Dakota without incident. Last winter I drove a Porsche 944 all winter. The 10 years before that I drove my '71 Chevy two-wheel-drive pickup. One thing I have learned in the last few years, however, is how important it is to have the right tires for winter driving. The winter tires available today are unbelievably better than the old knobby snow tires of the past.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:48 AM
StrauZZ

I live in Cleveland Ohio we got 12 inches of snow on new years. If you live in the snow belt drive another car for the winter. I look at all the salt they dump on the road and I wouldn't want that on my Z. You got another 3 months of snow good luck.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:11 AM
maxpowers

Anybody that drives there Z in the snow with summer tires is being negligent. In fact, it doesn't even have to be snowing out....the cold temps alone make the summer tires very hard and ineffective.

Quick Reply: snow incident