Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

[I'm fine] but wiped out on the highway tonight

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:01 PM
blackfairlady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[Update] The 2 arms described in post #1 were the extent of the damage. No subframe damage!

2 arms + alignment + 4 new tires + alignment/balance = back in business.

I'm keeping downshifting and hard acceleration for the track! I'm too friggin nervous now...even if it's not icy.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:43 PM
token5gtd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch man, i feel your pain, had a similar mishap with my Z and the damage was IDENTICAL to that in the pictures, and I also replaced the same parts you mentioned. 2 alignments and a trip to the frame rack later and everything is back in line.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:52 PM
annahandres

Don't feel bad, something similar happened to me on a ramp going from one interstate to another. It was wet but not raining, I was going maybe 35 or 40 over ramp that was curving left and downhill, it was concrete and jointed and pretty bumpy. It just started fishtailing and couldn't pull it in so I 720'ed and swiped a jersey wall. This happened in an 07 Cobalt, a front wheel drive underpowered econo box. Not a decently powered rwd sports car. Glad you're okay. Also, there was somehow no traffic when this happened to me but as soon as I pulled off the commuter flow started and didn't stop. Kinda freaky. Now I am scared to drive my Z in the rain =(.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:18 PM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by annahandres
Don't feel bad, something similar happened to me on a ramp going from one interstate to another. It was wet but not raining, I was going maybe 35 or 40 over ramp that was curving left and downhill, it was concrete and jointed and pretty bumpy. It just started fishtailing and couldn't pull it in so I 720'ed and swiped a jersey wall. This happened in an 07 Cobalt, a front wheel drive underpowered econo box. Not a decently powered rwd sports car. Glad you're okay. Also, there was somehow no traffic when this happened to me but as soon as I pulled off the commuter flow started and didn't stop. Kinda freaky. Now I am scared to drive my Z in the rain =(.

...ugh. Yours was worse. I'm glad you're okay, as well. Traffic is pretty scary when your on the side of the road, that's for sure. That's why I give people as much space as I can and slow down when they're out there broken down and what not. People need to slow down for work zones too! haha

...but seriously, they do.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Willowns

Wow, I am sorry to hear that but i am glad you are ok. you should check out the new members forums and look at my post, you can see what happend to my car. BUT glad you are ok. you may want to have your brakes checked on the driver side if the wheel is bent...if no1 else has said somthing.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Zrealsoon

Dude.. ouch. Glad its not much worse for you.

I knew when I got my Z that the stock tires are very bad news. I have a winter beater for the days when there is any moisture out there...Still though... I was driving to southern Colorado for a track day..Clear morning, no snow. I got to Denver and suddenly in a matter of 1/4 mile there was an inch of snow/ice ~8 degrees. Very isolated snow wtf?

So.. having been driving safely in snow my whole life.. I immediately got off the throttle... to slow WAY down.. didn't matter.. as soon as I let up on the gas and applied it back... very lightly: my rear end slid left toward the center-divider. So this put me sideways at about 60mph. :-/
I turned in the direction of the slide to correct it.. but it became a game of not over steering as the rear swung back to the other side like all hell. Luckly it was so early there were few cars.. those that did got the hell out of the way.. It took me about 10 minutes to get to the right lane and off the highway.. It was insane.. I couldn't even accelerate in 5th with out the back breaking loose.

I didn't ever want to be in Snow in this car.. I now check the forecast for the whole route of any trips I take... not going to EVER get in this situation again. Its amazing how impossible this car is on any snow/ice with the stock tires. I understand its completly the wrong car with those tires for snow and I confirmed it.. thankfully no damage... Just much more cautious now.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:26 PM
blackfairlady

The thought passed through my mind about getting an STI, Evo, or used S4 in place of the Z after this incident, but I can't justify it. It's just a matter of being careful and, like you said, mapping out your routes if you plan on doing any winter driving. I've always driven rear wheel drive in the snow, even with summer tires, and I've had my share of scares. Now my RWD DD has snow tires on it and it's much better. But it also has LSD and my Z does not.

I just generally hate treacherous conditions. F winter.

Originally Posted by Zrealsoon
Dude.. ouch. Glad its not much worse for you.

I knew when I got my Z that the stock tires are very bad news. I have a winter beater for the days when there is any moisture out there...Still though... I was driving to southern Colorado for a track day..Clear morning, no snow. I got to Denver and suddenly in a matter of 1/4 mile there was an inch of snow/ice ~8 degrees. Very isolated snow wtf?

So.. having been driving safely in snow my whole life.. I immediately got off the throttle... to slow WAY down.. didn't matter.. as soon as I let up on the gas and applied it back... very lightly: my rear end slid left toward the center-divider. So this put me sideways at about 60mph. :-/
I turned in the direction of the slide to correct it.. but it became a game of not over steering as the rear swung back to the other side like all hell. Luckly it was so early there were few cars.. those that did got the hell out of the way.. It took me about 10 minutes to get to the right lane and off the highway.. It was insane.. I couldn't even accelerate in 5th with out the back breaking loose.

I didn't ever want to be in Snow in this car.. I now check the forecast for the whole route of any trips I take... not going to EVER get in this situation again. Its amazing how impossible this car is on any snow/ice with the stock tires. I understand its completly the wrong car with those tires for snow and I confirmed it.. thankfully no damage... Just much more cautious now.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by Alberto
Sounds like your rev match wasnt on, you let the clutch out with the revs not high enough and the power was applied abruptly. Glad your ok, your a better drivern ow learning from this...
+1

thank god u r ok