Old 02-14-2008, 11:01 AM
WhiteNoiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Options:
talk to the dealer asap and see if they will work some sort of trade
tranny swap
sell it
live with it

Bright side if you keep it, the AT in the Z's are really good from what I hear.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:04 AM
zeekle

you are going to lose 3-5 grand even if you private sell it. You have to look at it from the side of the guy thats going to buy the car from you.

Remember the second owner is going to lose all ability to "lemon law" the car.

You lose a lot of money the first year of ownership of a car and most of that is the moment it drives off the lot.

Some dealers around here give a 14-30 day trade in rule so you can get the car you are happy with. That is not a law and for sure not a standard.

I would think you would be better trading it back in and getting the car you want because (if you are going to change it out) because of the expense of taxes of buying another car will most likely offset any premium you might get out of a private buyer VS a trade-in. If you do this I would go back to the person you bought the first one from for the trade-in he might pity you more than a new saleperson would.

Overall though I think your best bet is to just suck it up and enjoy the car you bought.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:06 AM
enrodrehern

honestly, it rides really nice to be an automatic and it seems really fast. it is one of the silkiest automatics i have ever driven. i just don't know why I couldn't get used to the freaking clutch on MT. stalling it over and over again but twice until i decided to stop because i was afraid to freaking break the car.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:08 AM
enrodrehern

thanks zeekle
Old 02-14-2008, 11:10 AM
xDIEGOx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enrodrehern
honestly, it rides really nice to be an automatic and it seems really fast. it is one of the silkiest automatics i have ever driven. i just don't know why I couldn't get used to the freaking clutch on MT. stalling it over and over again but twice until i decided to stop because i was afraid to freaking break the car.
You wont "break the car" by learning how to drive the MT.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:12 AM
enrodrehern

i know diego but i kept stalling it man over and over again, and when i didn't it would start jerking. i was able to get it out smoothly twice in first gear by veeeeeeeeeery slowly letting the clutch out. then i tried taking it out in 2nd gear and it was a bit easier and smoother.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:15 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

so you think someone would buy it as a private owner, how much do you think I can sale it for? 08' touring w/ 1000 miles, leather power heated setas, cc, homelink, etc...
It’s a tough sell. Figure that the buyer can get the car from the dealer for $5,000 down. From you its $26,000 cash.

Used 2008 for $26,000.
New 2008 for $5,000.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:18 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i know diego but i kept stalling it man over and over again, and when i didn't it would start jerking. i was able to get it out smoothly twice in first gear by veeeeeeeeeery slowly letting the clutch out. then i tried taking it out in 2nd gear and it was a bit easier and smoother.
LOL. At some time all of us were new manual drivers. I learned to drive a manual 40 years ago.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:22 AM
enrodrehern

Originally Posted by davidv
LOL. At some time all of us were new manual drivers. I learned to drive a manual 40 years ago.
Is funny because I learned when I was twelve years old back in Mexico with my dad with an old VW and the clutch was so soft and nice instead of the one in the Z (so freaking stiffed and long) but my dad stalled the car once and after that he had no problems with the Z. He got so freaking irritated trying to teach me, "He was like I tought this nine years ago and you can't drive it," blah blah blah.... got an automatic
Old 02-14-2008, 11:24 AM
enrodrehern

and no guys im not spoiled even though im 21 (i see it coming lol)...i work 40+ hours a week and i study hard as hell ,one more year and ill graduate.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:24 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go talk to your dealer. He would love to sell you another car. My guess is it will cost you $3,000 to $5,000 to trade into new MT Z.

You might see if he has a low milage 07 or 08 MT on the lot & swap even. Or have him call you if one comes in.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:34 AM
z-u-later

You do know there is a manual mode in A/T Zs, correct? Learn to use it on manual mode and it's without the clutch pedal so it'll be smoother for you.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:43 AM
jcleary47

I have a '07 Touring Automatic, and let me tell you bro, it's sweet. When I'm in traffic, there is nothing more satisfying to me than not having to deal with a manual.

You already mentioned how slick the automatic transmissions are in these Z's, and you are right.

If you really really wanted a manual, you would have gotten one. Something told you to get the auto, so just trust that instinct. You really won't gain much of anything by switching to a manual. Don't you enjoy the fact you can drive a car that will make perfect shifts every single time?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:51 AM
PM-Performance

after how long do you guys think I could trade it in and be at least neutral and not in negative equity??
No matter when you trade it you will lose money.
I thought there was like a 30 day return thing on new cars?
Maybe you can work with them to trade it for a manual and have them sell it as a demo?
If you spend enuff money they can do things like this.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:56 AM
SRTtoZ

When you drive it off the lot you instantly aquire negative equity.

Usually a return rule comes into play when you buy a USED car, new cars I believe by law they have 3-7 days to return a car if you are not satisfied.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 PM
enrodrehern

Originally Posted by jcleary47
I have a '07 Touring Automatic, and let me tell you bro, it's sweet. When I'm in traffic, there is nothing more satisfying to me than not having to deal with a manual.

You already mentioned how slick the automatic transmissions are in these Z's, and you are right.

If you really really wanted a manual, you would have gotten one. Something told you to get the auto, so just trust that instinct. You really won't gain much of anything by switching to a manual. Don't you enjoy the fact you can drive a car that will make perfect shifts every single time?
you are totally right, but the thing is i have never truly experienced a manual transmission for years like some of you guys have, my dad told me that manual was not for me because i do so much texting/talking while driving and i never concentrate. but then i read all the time how people say that a sports car is not a sports car w/o a MT (which makes me feel like ****) and that is something that i want to experince you know, driving years with a manual, be able to handle and im just really disappointed i couldn't dominate the Z clutch. but your right who knows if i get a MT and i end up not liking it plus the AT on the Z i can truly say is one of the best and smoothest automatics i have ever driven.

thank you guys (everyone) for all your help im going to suck it up and next time i will think twice about what i really want. thanks.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:09 PM
kdyngus

Looks like you just DON'T KNOW how to drive stick! Sorry man but you need to learn how to do it. Obviously is not easy to drive a manual sports-car with over 300HP when you don't know how to use clutch-power.

Keep your automatic Z - this will give you pleasure of driving this fabulous car and LEARN how to drive a manual on a 'regular' car. Take few practical lessons if need to. And than think of trading your car. You will appreciate MT even more.

I have been driving manuals forever - to get your driving license in most countries of EU you need to pass practical exam on 'manual gearbox car'. And I think it is good practice to do so. EVERYBODY - even 6 years old kid can drive automatic. Real drivers drive stick!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Kegsbane

It's people like you that ensure I'll never have to buy a new car again
Old 02-14-2008, 12:22 PM
jcleary47

Ignore the people who tell you a sports car isn't a sports car unless it is a manual transmission. The only people that spew forth that bs are the ones that have confidence issues and problems with their own self esteem.

You are the one that will be laughing when you leave them at the line because they miss a gear or grind their gears because they are nervous and can't actually handle a manual as well as they think they can.

There are some people who can shift perfect, nearly everytime, but most people can't.

Ignore those elitist tools, and enjoy your ride.

Real car enthusiasts will appreciate the car for the car that it is, not what type of transmission is in it. What a joke.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:56 PM
SRTtoZ

^^

Agreed, while I drive a 6speed MT and wouldnt trade it for the world, some of the sportiest cars, most expensive, fastest cars in the world are automatic.

Enough said.