Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:23 PM
t-350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i drove it home without knowing how to drive a standard. it takes seat time
Old 02-17-2008, 03:20 PM
n2oZ

I have an 07 automatic. I have had many a/t cars and this a/t feels strong yet smooth. The 07 i know will scratch the tires when using the fake manual shifter ......... its a very aggresive tranny for an automatic.

Stillen has a valve body upgrade if your wanting a little more out of it.
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...SAN&model=350Z

I've had my car a good while now and no complaints what so ever.

Look at it this way ............... MT guys always crack jokes at us AT guys, but AT guys drive without making excuses ............ unlike MT guys with the classic "Oh i missed a gear, thats why i lost to that AT" ..... lol
Old 02-17-2008, 10:12 PM
enrodrehern

thats funny man...and is sometimes true..although the AT Z is pretty quick to be honest
Originally Posted by n2oZ
I have an 07 automatic. I have had many a/t cars and this a/t feels strong yet smooth. The 07 i know will scratch the tires when using the fake manual shifter ......... its a very aggresive tranny for an automatic.

Stillen has a valve body upgrade if your wanting a little more out of it.
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...SAN&model=350Z

I've had my car a good while now and no complaints what so ever.

Look at it this way ............... MT guys always crack jokes at us AT guys, but AT guys drive without making excuses ............ unlike MT guys with the classic "Oh i missed a gear, thats why i lost to that AT" ..... lol
Old 02-17-2008, 10:16 PM
enrodrehern

Originally Posted by Kinraze
Though I would never buy an automatic sports car, there are more autos out there then manual anymore. I checked craigs list the other day, and out of 9 cars in my area every car that was above base model was an automatic except 1. If you do a lot of city driving, you could justify that to yourself for getting the auto. I'm guessing that you won't really be tracking the car either. If you bought the car more for the looks vs the performance, then just stick with the auto and use the manual selection on it to give you some sense of control over your transmission.
you know after thinking about it i came to the conclusion that perhaps i didn't make the wrong choice because like you said i bought it for the looks over the performance, i haven't race this car once yet and i do not plan on doing it. and plus i only pay $413 for it monthly for a brand new TOURING 08 AT Z with 10 miles when i bought it lol...so i guess is not bad after all.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A good friend of mine who is on this forum bought his "04 new within a week of when I bought my '03 with 15,000. He was 19 at the time and I didnt know til a yr later that it was his first Manual Trans---we saw each other almost daily. NEVER a word. He simply took control and conquered. I rode with him a 100 times and never noticed a slip up.

Autos are fine, but the fear of standards for first timers peplexes me

But your Auto will be fine---Next time ---take the plunge and conquer
Old 02-17-2008, 10:38 PM
enrodrehern

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
A good friend of mine who is on this forum bought his "04 new within a week of when I bought my '03 with 15,000. He was 19 at the time and I didnt know til a yr later that it was his first Manual Trans---we saw each other almost daily. NEVER a word. He simply took control and conquered. I rode with him a 100 times and never noticed a slip up.

Autos are fine, but the fear of standards for first timers peplexes me

But your Auto will be fine---Next time ---take the plunge and conquer
thanks eazzzzzzzzy trust me i will, i actually drove my friends' honda civic today and i did not stall that thing once, and out of seven times i got the car out in first gear 6 of them were very smooth. the clutch is just not stiff at all unlike the z. very soft clutch. but then again those civics are so ugly compare to the z's.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good ---when you are ready for mods PM me ---we will make that auto perform to standard standards
Old 02-18-2008, 07:03 AM
test123

When I look in a 350Z ans see a big automatic handle sitting there, it doesn't even look right.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:08 AM
RedLine 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

enrodrehern, enjoy your Z. There's nothing wrong with a 5AT. Sometimes, I do wish that I have a 5AT vs 6MT. My decision to purchase the 6MT was because I have been driving my automatic Explorer and wanted a change of pace.

Plus, this is one of the many debates of 5AT vs 6MT. The only person that matter is you, the driver.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:03 PM
s3fddiZ

Somebody on the G35 forums was making a paddle shifter for the autos. You may want to check that out....
Old 02-18-2008, 03:58 PM
marhot

Originally Posted by RedLine 350z
enrodrehern, enjoy your Z. There's nothing wrong with a 5AT. Sometimes, I do wish that I have a 5AT vs 6MT. My decision to purchase the 6MT was because I have been driving my automatic Explorer and wanted a change of pace.

Plus, this is one of the many debates of 5AT vs 6MT. The only person that matter is you, the driver.

+1

Just enjoy your Z. It really, really isn't that big of a deal.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:48 PM
samej82

Originally Posted by enrodrehern
I bought a brand new 08 350z touring edition auto, and after fifteen days I have realized that I really want a manual transmission. I test drove a base one and I kept stalling it. After like two times I got it right I didn't have a problem from then on, but after that I kept stalling it, my biggestfear was never to be able to get out out of first gear by either stalling it or jerking like a freaking while horse so I went for the auto. Any hope for me? or Advice? No stupid comments please, I just wish for you guys to help me.
You could just bring in back to the dealer and tell them you wanna swap it out. They might put up a fuss because you might have redo the paper work and negotiate another price, a dealer is a business same as any other retail store. They'll say they can't and all that what not, but they really can, I know people who've done that before...

Automatics not that bad really though.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Key Of Z

Originally Posted by enrodrehern
you know after thinking about it i came to the conclusion that perhaps i didn't make the wrong choice because like you said i bought it for the looks over the performance, i haven't race this car once yet and i do not plan on doing it. and plus i only pay $413 for it monthly for a brand new TOURING 08 AT Z with 10 miles when i bought it lol...so i guess is not bad after all.
Monthly payments have little to do with the price of the car.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:25 AM
DraGonAlchemist

hows about learn to drive a STICk 1st. .then think about getting one. .because i'd hate to see what happens to you when you've got to stop and go on an incline. .and in traffic depending how that is over in texas is going to suck!!!! stop and go. .blows!!

My Gf 4 yrs ago had a surprise for me that never showed up due to the fact she bought an 05 STI 6sp not knowing how to drive it. .haha. .women!!!. .neway i had to go teach her in a nights course and she got it down amazingly well. .that sometimes i think the student has surpassed the teacher. .

my thing would be for you to learn a good week how to drive it to perfection or close to. .and then trade yours in for a stick model because for some reasons sticks are cheaper in price anyway. .
Old 03-08-2008, 12:48 PM
luvmyumpc

Well I enjoyed reading this and the other billion threads about AT... I bought an 08 Touring AT Roadster. I did this for lots of good reasons and would have left the lot had they not had the car I wanted in AT. I gained a lot of respect for AT's when I had the BMW 335i with the paddles, but found I never used the paddles and always used the shifter. I have a bad left knee (getting old sucks) and I drive in traffic. If I break down all the driving I do, its 90 percent casual or traffic driving, 9.9 percent spirited driving when I get the chance, and .1 percent autox or hitting a track (2 kids and a short tire budget), so that combined with my S2000 experience in traffic, I assured myself I would never buy a sporty car without AT. So, the moral of my rambling is that even though I know the MT gives more fun value and allows some more control of the car, when I look at the numbers I just couldn't justify a MT.... well, I still have an Intermeccanica Porsche 356 with a 4 speed, but thats a whole different kind of driving.

On another semi off topic question, how much HP can a stock AT tranny take on the 08? I am old, not dead.....
Old 03-08-2008, 01:04 PM
3fittyBiH

i dont think it should be a problem trading it in for maybe an 07 touring 6spd or maybe even an 08 enthusisast maybe. check with the dealer
Old 03-09-2008, 11:07 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

See your dealer and take it in the tailpipe.