Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Hydroplaned my 350z, I was very lucky!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Denum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad68
Wow that sucks. I've hydroplaned in some of my vehciles a little including the Z.

As far as going the speed limit goes and getting a ticket, I know why he wrote you one. There is a thing called the basic speed law or something, that states you are not to drive faster than conditions permit, regardless of the posted limit. Even though you were going at the posted speed limit, you were not following the basic speed law, by slowing down for rain. This may mean driving 10 MPH or more below the posted speed. Would you drive 70MPH in fog where you can't see more than 30 feet in front of you? Hopefully not.

They went over this basic speed law a lot in drivers ED some 20 odd years ago, I guess they don't teach it anymore.

It's common sence true, but the trooper has no proof of what "speed" he was going. There is no way he can actually know the actual speed. And even if it was raining, people still go speed limit usually. It's not like it was hailing or major fog. Also, even if he is a trooper, he still can't give a bs ticket. The guys car just went flying, don't think it really necessary to give a ticket. I would be pissed.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:32 PM
sno

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing story, would read again.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:52 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Well, cars always hydroplane at 9x square root of your tire pressure. Anytime there is water on the road and you are over roughly 50MPH you are hydroplaning. The tread design only helps out under the magic speed.

Now saying that, be more carefull in the rain.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Well, cars always hydroplane at 9x square root of your tire pressure. Anytime there is water on the road and you are over roughly 50MPH you are hydroplaning. The tread design only helps out under the magic speed.

Now saying that, be more careful in the rain.
I'm gonna call BS on that one.

It is true you are not supposed to use CC in the rain.

Glad the OP is alive.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Adrians350Z

This is the first time I've heard that you shouldn't use cruise control in the rain. Is it because it might put down too much throttle without warning?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:34 PM
gregom

Good thing your okay and nothing bad happened... I'm curious, were you looking far ahead and scanning the road surface? When driving, especially in bad weather I am always scanning the road surface ahead with my eyes to look for trouble spots, and i've always managed to avoid situations like this and slow down when necessary.

Anyway... personally instead of calling a tow truck, because most of the time they will charge you even for that little pull because they had to come out, i'd just flag down a large 4x4 driving by. A few years back I took a old beater car out into the rough to go shooting at a nearby range, but the path there is dirt road, in bad condition... I made it in and out ok all up until the very end next to the main road where there were massive mud puddles. I ended up getting stuck in the shallowest part, which was about 30 cm. or so deep. I just got out, waited for a large 4x4 to pass by and asked if they could pull me out real quick. Took about 60 seconds and I was out... Very nice of them and I offered to buy them dinner but they said they were just glad to help.

There are still nice people out there, and tons of 4x4's... Use them...

Carry a tow rope with you, they dont weigh much so it cant hurt, especially through the winter season.

Oh and i'd take that ticket to court... they have to catch you in the act and they didnt... So take it to court, say you have wide tires and didnt see the puddle, did your best to correct and avoid hitting traffic, hopefully they will let it go.

Last edited by gregom; 03-16-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Ianmtx

Originally Posted by gregom
Good thing your okay and nothing bad happened... I'm curious, were you looking far ahead and scanning the road surface? When driving, especially in bad weather I am always scanning the road surface ahead with my eyes to look for trouble spots, and i've always managed to avoid situations like this and slow down when necessary.

Anyway... personally instead of calling a tow truck, because most of the time they will charge you even for that little pull because they had to come out, i'd just flag down a large 4x4 driving by. A few years back I took a old beater car out into the rough to go shooting at a nearby range, but the path there is dirt road, in bad condition... I made it in and out ok all up until the very end next to the main road where there were massive mud puddles. I ended up getting stuck in the shallowest part, which was about 30 cm. or so deep. I just got out, waited for a large 4x4 to pass by and asked if they could pull me out real quick. Took about 60 seconds and I was out... Very nice of them and I offered to buy them dinner but they said they were just glad to help.

There are still nice people out there, and tons of 4x4's... Use them...

Carry a tow rope with you, they dont weigh much so it cant hurt, especially through the winter season.

Oh and i'd take that ticket to court... they have to catch you in the act and they didnt... So take it to court, say you have wide tires and didnt see the puddle, did your best to correct and avoid hitting traffic, hopefully they will let it go.
While that sounds like a good idea, I don't have a tow hook in the front of my car with almost no room under the car since it was sunk down a bit so it would be really difficult for a 4x4 to pull it out properly without damaging my bumper.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:19 PM
sporkdevil

Originally Posted by Ianmtx
Z rated Nitto's

Under 2,000 miles on them.
Man, after driving Nitto's, just say no to them. I've heard very little good about them, and they aren't cheap at all. I was also not impressed at all.

But you have to watch for puddles. I do 70 in the rain, but I keep a very steady watch for pooled water on the road. The Z is MUCH more forgiving than a truck or SUV, and maybe that is why I am better at it. I guess I'm used to plenty of torque, rear wheel drive, and hydroplaning at 45 MPH. Just watch out for it, and keep the gears one higher than normal, normal being a gas saving pace.

But glad you are OK.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

wow, another nitto hydro plane incident.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:29 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Ianmtx
While that sounds like a good idea, I don't have a tow hook in the front of my car with almost no room under the car since it was sunk down a bit so it would be really difficult for a 4x4 to pull it out properly without damaging my bumper.
You do know the tow hook is in the truck, and screws into the front behind the grill.
BTW the INVO made by Nitto is great in the rain.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:42 PM
DracoLancet04Z

take the ticket to court dude.... he saw nothing he couldn't have written you a lawful ticket, take it to court and the judge will get rid of it
Old 03-16-2008, 10:44 PM
gregom

No find the cops name and look him up in the phone book, call him and when he answers just yell "YOUR A PHUQUE TARD DUDE!!!" then hang up...
Old 03-16-2008, 10:44 PM
DracoLancet04Z

<---- Criminal Justice Major BTW
Old 03-17-2008, 04:19 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrians350Z
This is the first time I've heard that you shouldn't use cruise control in the rain. Is it because it might put down too much throttle without warning?
Correct. Like many automated features, cruise control reacts only to current conditions. Like going uphill. Unlike the driver it does not anticipate problems. Cruise control will accelerate in rain. After all it has no idea that it is raining.

Last edited by davidv; 03-17-2008 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:45 AM
kaizenro1

AAA, Gold member. Like $65 a year and first 100 miles of tow is free.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:19 AM
SSZVirginia

Never use cruise control in the rain and get new tires.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:21 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should not use cruise control in the rain. Glad you are OK.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:28 AM
06MagneticZ

Im no genius but I know not to drive on the far left lane when its pouring, especially at 70 mph.....on cruise control. Oh and I also know not to go 70 mph in those conditions.

Glad you're ok.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:33 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by 06MagneticZ
Im no genius but I know not to drive on the far left lane when its pouring, especially at 70 mph.....on cruise control. Oh and I also know not to go 70 mph in those conditions.

Glad you're ok.
+1, I drive down I-37 all the time, those 2 lanes are not very smooth either!

You got a ticket for driving too fast for conditions, correct?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:57 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Denum
It's common sence true, but the trooper has no proof of what "speed" he was going. There is no way he can actually know the actual speed. And even if it was raining, people still go speed limit usually. It's not like it was hailing or major fog. Also, even if he is a trooper, he still can't give a bs ticket. The guys car just went flying, don't think it really necessary to give a ticket. I would be pissed.

Dude. The bottom line is Op was going to fast for conditions. It doesn't matter what his speed was. He went fast enough and apparently said he had his cruise on as well, to loose control of his car all by his own doing.

He was going fast enough to spin out of control with no interraction from anybody or anything else. It was just him, the car, a wet road and a lead foot.

This case doesn't stand a chance in Hell in court. The OP would have a better chance sueing the State for puddles forming on the highway, like he said LOL.

I feel bad for the OP and I'm trying really hard not to be a d!ck and rain on his pararde (no pun intended) but it's just human error. You gotta suck it up man and take the lumps.

If he lost control and took out a school bus, should he not deserve a ticket? Fact is if he would have taken out somebody else out with him, he might have been charged with reckless driving.

The OP already admitted to us that he admitted to the cop he was doing 70MPH.

case closed.

Quick Reply: Hydroplaned my 350z, I was very lucky!