Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Pulled over for TINT! yikes...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Zmazing03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got either 20 or 30% on all windows. I think 20% is illegal, 30% is not. I don't know what level tint it is because it came with the Z when I bought it. Either way I think its close enough that they don't even bother. It is pretty dark though, probably 20%.

As for being pulled over, just put your window down and you won't get any problem. The two times I've been pulled over in the Z was at dusk/night anyway so its harder to tell tint then.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Concave
Banned

pimps use 0.5%
Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 PM
sambo

i got 5% never been pullled over yet...im taking a big risk.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:04 AM
kurt213
Banned

I also live in PA and recently got a ticket for tint. I was pulled over by a complete ******* cop...he gave me a warning and an order to take it off within 10 days. I ignored it but the cop apparently told everyone in the precinct, because a week later another cop pulled me over and told me that the previous officer told everyone to keep an eye out for my car. I was not speeding or doing anything wrong, but he pulled me over and gave me a ticket for the tint. I wrote a letter to our state rep explaining my situation. I didn't get a reply back in time...so I ended up pleading guilty and just paying the 100.00 fine. But like two days later I got a reply and apparently the whole 70% tint law they are enforcing isn't even legit. The law only states that it is illegal to have windows tinted to the point where you cannot see inside of the car. So that letter will be a handy little piece of paper for the future!
Old 03-19-2008, 05:29 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmazing03
I've got either 20 or 30% on all windows. I think 20% is illegal, 30% is not. I don't know what level tint it is because it came with the Z when I bought it. Either way I think its close enough that they don't even bother. It is pretty dark though, probably 20%.

As for being pulled over, just put your window down and you won't get any problem. The two times I've been pulled over in the Z was at dusk/night anyway so its harder to tell tint then.

Backwards, lower the #, darker the tint. 20% is darker than 30%, the % is the amount of light it allows through. In GA the law is 32% and most states are in that area.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:36 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HighwaySpeed
"I broke the law, the officer did his job, but he was a _____"

HS [Oh that's right... criminals never drive Zs with tinted glass]
The laws are more for officer safety and other passengers. It sucks but thats the way it is. If you knew it was illegal and couldn't get away with it shouldn't have done it in the first place. Around here you should be able to get away with possilby 20 percent, while 35 is legal.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:00 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick204k
So I have had tint on for 4 months and got pulled over, the officer was a real ***** bag. I got a warning, must get it removed in 10 days. But while he was holding my license he cracked it in half....

I am just going to get the tint redone and now whenever the Z is being driven, expect to see my windows down all the time
checking your local tint laws prior to making a purchase would have saved you a lot of heartache and grief IMO.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:05 AM
playa6tnine

next time you see a cop around you, roll down your windows. if he tells you to put them up, tell him you cant because the switch is broken. he cant MAKE you put them up. now he has no way of proving your tint is illegal.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:11 AM
PM-Performance

Why get it redone? Just ask for the $90 ticket and save the hassle of pulling it off and trying to get the glue all off, to just redo it again.

Whenever I get pulled over I tell them Im not taking it off and to just give me the fine if they plan to.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:19 AM
TenTilFour

there is a % limit here in Iowa....just need to stay below it; it's around the same tint percentage you see from the factory on most SUV's.

I don't know about other states though.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 AM
Nick204k

Originally Posted by PM-Performance
Why get it redone? Just ask for the $90 ticket and save the hassle of pulling it off and trying to get the glue all off, to just redo it again.

Whenever I get pulled over I tell them Im not taking it off and to just give me the fine if they plan to.

...Wait you can do that?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:21 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can leave the tint but then if you get caught again it will be another fine. They will be looking out for you because they know your car too. Is it really worth it?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Mardo

Ok so I'm not reading all this but look on the back of the ticket. You may be able to mail the ticket in with a small fee (10-20) and a picture of your car with the tint removed. All you do is put your plates on a car of the same color without tint for the pictures.

You can also do the same if you decide to change your plates and go to the station and have an officer sign it off... Heh I'm not sure I would have the ***** to go to the station and get a car thats not my own with my plates signed off but I've heard of it working plenty of times.

Oh and first post so howdy everyone!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Blu Hvn

I'm curious about when and where you had the tint applied. If you had the tint applied at a local shop they should have known what tints were legal. Maybe you can go back on them for knowingly installing an illegal tint.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Nick204k

Originally Posted by Blu Hvn
I'm curious about when and where you had the tint applied. If you had the tint applied at a local shop they should have known what tints were legal. Maybe you can go back on them for knowingly installing an illegal tint.
I know the tint shop personally so that will not work. Damn cops have nothing else better to do with there time around here.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:01 AM
zonic03

Originally Posted by Nick204k
So I have had tint on for 4 months and got pulled over, the officer was a real ***** bag. I got a warning, must get it removed in 10 days. But while he was holding my license he cracked it in half....

I am just going to get the tint redone and now whenever the Z is being driven, expect to see my windows down all the time
What, he cracked your licence in half? See the judge he was a ***** to you, be a ***** back. You should of cracked his badge.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:18 PM
WhiteNoiz

Originally Posted by zonic03
What, he cracked your licence in half? See the judge he was a ***** to you, be a ***** back. You should of cracked his face.
fixed
Old 03-19-2008, 01:19 PM
haeshik

whenever i see a cop its my natural instinct to roll down the window.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:52 PM
LI350

About 8 years ago I had a toyota pickup with super dark tint( too long ago to remember the %) I got a ticket up in VT. Next day I went to the eye doctor and said I was having trouble driving at night due to the lights reflecting off my mirrors and blurring my vision. The doc asked me if my windows were tinted? When I told him they were he said try getting them darker and wrote me a note stating that I had a night driving problem and I needed my windows to be tinted darker the the legal amout. Went to court and beat the ticket. After that when i was pulled over I would roll down my windows as soon as I saw the cop coming for me and showed him the note. There was still the few times the cop did not care and had to go to court but for the most part I never got tickets again. The reason behind not having tint too dark is so when a cop walks up to yor car he can see that you don't have a weapon pointed at him.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:18 PM
track1z

Default I got all you HOE'S smacked down with window tint.

Originally Posted by Concave
pimps use 0.5%
I have a Ford Expedition with 24 inch rims.MY **** IS BLACKED OUT!My truck is tinted with 35% all the way around.I even have the whole front windsheild covered. Then from the front passenger,driver side I have 5% on top of that.Tickets just went up in L-Town from 135 to 210 dollers. I know i've been pulled over 4 times. The last state trooper who saw me told me if I don't take it off the next time he is gonna impound the truck. I told him to go ahead I was 2 months behind on the payment and I didn't care LOL.

O and the COP said my tint is O%
Attached Thumbnails Pulled over for TINT!  yikes...-e19621943899.jpg   Pulled over for TINT!  yikes...-0ee9321eb826.jpg  

Last edited by track1z; 03-19-2008 at 02:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Pulled over for TINT! yikes...