2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Saturn Sky red line vs. 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:20 AM
SargentZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmaiZ
lol..yup, she makes him happy..hehe

They always "do things right" if your buyin em stuff.

Better get a pre-nup or she'll be buyin her new boyfriend a Z.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:56 AM
ZKansasZ

Originally Posted by SargentZ
They always "do things right" if your buyin em stuff.

Better get a pre-nup or she'll be buyin her new boyfriend a Z.

or she will give his z to her bf and make him drive the Sky!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:58 AM
WhiteNoiz

They definatly have an aggressive look to them. #s are impressive. The only concern I would have is longevity... saturns are crap.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:07 PM
dhwang80

saturns have been all about longevity.
I don't know where you get saturns are crap
Old 04-04-2008, 04:22 PM
blackwidow99

^ you must be jk...right?
Old 04-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Master of Baiting
Demolition Man

Originally Posted by 350z-noob
what z do you have, buddy?
I am Vu Tran, have an 03 silver touring one.

We have many car meets organized on our site. You are more than welcome to hang out with us!!!
Lol thats my brothers name.....full
Old 04-04-2008, 04:31 PM
GSX-R350Z

LMAO i just moved to wichita kansas from Canada not long ago.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:16 PM
dhwang80

^ you must be jk...right?
obviously, you have never owned a saturn.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:42 PM
skylin3R33

Originally Posted by Zboostin
All I have to say is "ITS A SATURN"!!! That should answer your questions. No matter how good it looks nor how fast it MAY be it still remains a crapy saturn!
Yep.. hope that makes you feel better knowing there are Carrera GT and Ferrari Enzo drivers out there thinking the same thing about your car.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:41 AM
gregom

I almost bought the Sky Redline... its such a sexy *** car, but I went for a ZR instead for several reasons...

I test drive the Sky Redline and it felt fine, very stiff suspension like the Z, but it felt very slow off the line and had little torque (despite the specs) and the clutch was horrid! They must have a spring in the slave cylinder valve that causes a delay when shifting quickly and the car jerks and bucks around no matter how smooth you try to be. I dont know if it was just because it was a brand new car and wasn't 'broken in' yet or if they just have shitty clutches.

Also the roof on the sky's is manual, not electric like the Z's. The interior also feels a lot more cramped and my knee kept banging into the ignition switch/keys and i'm really not that a big guy (6 ft 150 lbs).

From researching the car it seems to be riddled with all kinds of computer related problems, malfunctions, and failures. One of other reasons to avoid it I'd think.

Now if I could have the Sky's body but all the internal bits from the Z it'd be a perfect car! Personally I think the ZR is kinda ugly from some angles, but then again I owned a Tiburon which is sexy from all angles, but it was FWD and not as fast as it should be.

Last edited by gregom; 04-05-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:45 PM
blackwidow99

Originally Posted by dhwang80
obviously, you have never owned a saturn.
I don't mean to be rude but I personally don't think that saturns are built for reliability.

I haven't owned a saturn but I've got a couple of friends with saturns and they all, and i mean all have problems. If not the engine then interior. Especially one of my friends fiance, nonstop problem after problem. And i know this because I lived with them for a couple of years. Trust me when i say, they ain't the most reliable cars out there.

If you say that the sky is reliable then i might somewhat agree since they are Opel in europe. But saying that the whole brand SATURN is reliable is an understatement. just my 2 cents.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Get_Zwole

at the end of the day its still a saturn
Old 04-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Phantom Menace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude...it's a Saturn! They're plastic and no matter how bad-a$$ one makes it look...it'll still be...

a Saturn...
Old 04-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AMERICAN MADE!!!!

enough said.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Salvatorey

haven't driven in the sky, but i was looking at solstices before getting my Z. they looked great, and then i drove one.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:54 PM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I tested them out just for the hell of it. I tested the saturn sky, pontiac solstice and the 350z. The Pontiac solsitce was the worst out of all them, it just seem really cheap inside. The saturn was a bit of an upgrade however the Z blows them all out of the water.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

had a little fun tonight on the way home with a miata and a sky. low and behold the Z wins again, although i must say both cars had extreme amazing handling. In sure power though i pulled away easily on both.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:22 PM
neroup

The sky will look better as a hatch... but come on, not even the same league as the Z. BTW there is a bit of the problem with the brakes on a cold start. You might also want to be extra careful when putting up the manual top - you can easily brake a body panel. The interior seems cheap and cramped, but I'm 6'1. IMO this car looks good, but I'm more interested in the Genesis.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:00 AM
kwtoxman

It is nice to see some positive feedback for this car on this forum. I'm a car nut in general, not just an import or domestic fanboy. I've lurked here for a while because I almost bought a 350Z and am still watching to see the future versions. I can see a used GT-R in my future.

I bought a Solstice GXP last fall. I was originally thinking of a 350ZR but couldn't justify the price. They bend us over here in Canada on prices. The MSRP of a 350ZR GT was just over $57K + taxes. I got the Solstice GXP for $20K less. That difference is a lota coin. And I wasn't overly keen on buying a car that was due for an update soon. I'm still waiting and watching here for the next updated 350Z (370...). That'll be nice.

I didn't get a redline because it was $5K more expensive. They weren't willing to do any haggling for that car. And there is no way I was going to pay that much more for a cosmetically different car.

I never liked the solstice very much until I saw the GXP. For you that don't like the solstice, take a quick look at the GXP. I'm no fan of the base solstice. The GXP has blacked out trim pieces (grills) which makes it look much better IMO (less feminine). And brake cooling ducts by the fog lights. Makes it much better, IMO.

Where I'm at the car is quite rare and turns a lot of heads. I don't like the coupe and it will make the car much more common.

It's a lot of car for the $$. Quick, fun, and handles amazing. Under 3K lbs. The power surprises people. The car has a very strong posi, stability control, traction control, etc. There is a lot of potential with it, but they still need to fully crack the ECM on the the GXP/Redline. So far bolt on mods are getting close around 280ish at the rear wheels, 300 rwtq. Some have bolted on bigger turbo's but they need the ECM cracked to get their potential. Stock a GXP/redline can to sub 5.2 0-60 and 13.9ish 1/4 mile with a decent driver.

The interior is nice for a domestic, but not in the same league as the 350Z. I love the 350Z interior. I'm 5' 10" and the GXP fits me great. But I wouldn't want to be above 6 feet in this car, personally, as others have noted.

As for some earlier comments....
The first year of the car (06) had issues, but after that they seem to be pretty good. The clutch is sensitive for newbies, but just like any car you get used to it quick. The manual roof is fine for the price savings. They are not buggy for computer issues. The brake problems are on some 08 GXP's and redlines, not the 07's. I consider GXP/RL and 350Z in the same league (close enough anyways... as their isn't much to choose from in this arena).

I'm hoping the car quality lasts. Supposedly the newest domestics are quite good, and I guess I'll find out.

I have some KW V3's ready to go on the car. Better handling and I'll probably lower it about 1.5 inches.

Here are a few pics of my GXP.

Take it easy.

kw.....

Last edited by kwtoxman; 04-11-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:02 AM
greekguy824

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gregom
Personally I think the ZR is kinda ugly from some angles, but then again I owned a Tiburon which is sexy from all angles, but it was FWD and not as fast as it should be.
That joke was worse than any of Dane Cooks.

Quick Reply: Saturn Sky red line vs. 350Z