Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Saturn Sky red line vs. 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:14 AM
RedLine 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kwtoxman,

Nice ride. Just not sure why Pontiacs have those big grills on all their cars (or most). I'm sure it's something to distinguish them from the other GM twins. To me, it looks like nostrils. With that being said, your ride looks clean.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:46 AM
kwtoxman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx RedLine 350z. I've read that the twin grille is a signature pontiac look, and has been used for many many years.

You're certainly not the only one who doesn't like it. I don't mind it. The front plate pisses me off though. The twin grilles are much better IMO than a single grill for the car. Some people have tried photoshopping a single grill onto the car and it looked like a smiley face, or surprised face depending on the design. LOL.

The car is a secondary option for me. More of a toy at this time. It was put away for winter and I just got it out. It has 1900 miles on it now.

I've signed up for a weekend autocross training course later this month. Should be fun.

kw.......

Last edited by kwtoxman; 04-11-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Sonicspeed

I always called that the "James Bond car"

I dont see why all the hate on saturns, but this is a 350z forum, not a saturn forum. I used to own a couple of saturns, and had some nice work done to them. I would place 1st and 2nd in shows beating out fords, chevy's, etc... Its just a different kind of car, and until now they were not built with tuners in mind. The sky is a pretty nice car, but imo not worth the asking price.

And just as others that have said "Its just a saturn" there are plenty of Viper, Vett, Lotus, Lambo, etc, etc owners who say... "Its just a Nissan"
Old 04-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kwtoxman
It is nice to see some positive feedback for this car on this forum. I'm a car nut in general, not just an import or domestic fanboy. I've lurked here for a while because I almost bought a 350Z and am still watching to see the future versions. I can see a used GT-R in my future.

I bought a Solstice GXP last fall. I was originally thinking of a 350ZR but couldn't justify the price. They bend us over here in Canada on prices. The MSRP of a 350ZR GT was just over $57K + taxes. I got the Solstice GXP for $20K less. That difference is a lota coin. And I wasn't overly keen on buying a car that was due for an update soon. I'm still waiting and watching here for the next updated 350Z (370...). That'll be nice.

kw.....

So THATS what Canada looks like...
Old 04-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=kwtoxman]It is nice to see some positive feedback for this car on this forum. I'm a car nut in general, not just an import or domestic fanboy. I've lurked here for a while because I almost bought a 350Z and am still watching to see the future versions. I can see a used GT-R in my future.

I bought a Solstice GXP last fall. I was originally thinking of a 350ZR but couldn't justify the price. They bend us over here in Canada on prices. The MSRP of a 350ZR GT was just over $57K + taxes. I got the Solstice GXP for $20K less. That difference is a lota coin. And I wasn't overly keen on buying a car that was due for an update soon. I'm still waiting and watching here for the next updated 350Z (370...). That'll be nice.

I didn't get a redline because it was $5K more expensive. They weren't willing to do any haggling for that car. And there is no way I was going to pay that much more for a cosmetically different car.

I never liked the solstice very much until I saw the GXP. For you that don't like the solstice, take a quick look at the GXP. I'm no fan of the base solstice. The GXP has blacked out trim pieces (grills) which makes it look much better IMO (less feminine). And brake cooling ducts by the fog lights. Makes it much better, IMO.

Where I'm at the car is quite rare and turns a lot of heads. I don't like the coupe and it will make the car much more common.

It's a lot of car for the $$. Quick, fun, and handles amazing. Under 3K lbs. The power surprises people. The car has a very strong posi, stability control, traction control, etc. There is a lot of potential with it, but they still need to fully crack the ECM on the the GXP/Redline. So far bolt on mods are getting close around 280ish at the rear wheels, 300 rwtq. Some have bolted on bigger turbo's but they need the ECM cracked to get their potential. Stock a GXP/redline can to sub 5.2 0-60 and 13.9ish 1/4 mile with a decent driver.

The interior is nice for a domestic, but not in the same league as the 350Z. I love the 350Z interior. I'm 5' 10" and the GXP fits me great. But I wouldn't want to be above 6 feet in this car, personally, as others have noted.

As for some earlier comments....
The first year of the car (06) had issues, but after that they seem to be pretty good. The clutch is sensitive for newbies, but just like any car you get used to it quick. The manual roof is fine for the price savings. They are not buggy for computer issues. The brake problems are on some 08 GXP's and redlines, not the 07's. I consider GXP/RL and 350Z in the same league (close enough anyways... as their isn't much to choose from in this arena).

I'm hoping the car quality lasts. Supposedly the newest domestics are quite good, and I guess I'll find out.

I have some KW V3's ready to go on the car. Better handling and I'll probably lower it about 1.5 inches.

Here are a few pics of my GXP.

Take it easy.

kw.....

Just kidding, nice write up and very objective.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:38 PM
phatz33

I've driven one and albeit it was an auto, I felt it was just as quick as a Z and handles almost as good. This was a Solstice GXP btw.