Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

4 extra miles on my car after oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 03:39 PM
Bini2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down 4 extra miles on my car after oil change.

I want to solicit advice from you guys with regards to 4 extra miles that were added to my car while being serviced for an oil change.

I took my odometer reading before the change at 7329 and was quite shocked when I picked the car up and read the odometer after the service change: 7333.

After I noticed the extra miles on my car, I spoke with both of the store managers that were on duty at the time about the situation.

One indicated that sometimes the mechanics take the car out for a "test drive" after service, but he did state that he found it strange to test drive a car after an oil change and he felt the miles were excessive.

The other store manager said that it was required for his mechanics to test drive a vehicle after service. He acted very surprised that I would even question such practice.

Neither manager offered anything other than a shrug of their shoulders.

I determined that I would not get anywhere with these 2 clowns and asked for General and Regional manager contact information.

So that is the situation, here is what I plan to do:

-- Write a letter to the General and Regional. The letter will include the following:

1) Explanation of the situation, including the fact that I never signed a document authorizing anyone at the shop drive my vehicle.
2) Make clear that I am frustrated with the situation and very disappointed with the level of professionalism.
3) Inform then that I will not be doing business with them again.
4) Request a formal written apology on the matter.

-- From here on out, do my own oil changes.

Am I overreacting?

Is there anything else that I should do? Any advice out there on how to handle this differently or better?
Old 07-08-2003, 03:43 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard of such a thing, but if they planned to drive your car they should have cleared it with you first. I don't think you're overreacting. I don't want people driving my car on the road without permission, either.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:48 PM
FLY BY Z

Unfortunatley, they will not change their business practices. I had some bad experiences with a VW dealership in DFW when I had a GTI. I dropped my car off for its semmingly weekly problem to be serviced and I caught them hauling *** in the car and going for donuts at the local donut shop! I was pretty unhappy and let them know about it. Some things just suck. Needless to say, that is one (of many) reasons I will never own or recommend VW to anyone. But still, they will not change because there are enough people out there who don't care if they drive their cars because they don't know the difference and wouldn't care if they did. But I think you should def. communicate your feelings anyways. I did, too.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Duflacci

Default Re: 4 extra miles on my car after oil change.

Originally posted by Bini2
I want to solicit advice from you guys with regards to 4 extra miles that were added to my car while being serviced for an oil change.

I took my odometer reading before the change at 7329 and was quite shocked when I picked the car up and read the odometer after the service change: 7333.

After I noticed the extra miles on my car, I spoke with both of the store managers that were on duty at the time about the situation.

One indicated that sometimes the mechanics take the car out for a "test drive" after service, but he did state that he found it strange to test drive a car after an oil change and he felt the miles were excessive.

The other store manager said that it was required for his mechanics to test drive a vehicle after service. He acted very surprised that I would even question such practice.

Neither manager offered anything other than a shrug of their shoulders.

I determined that I would not get anywhere with these 2 clowns and asked for General and Regional manager contact information.

So that is the situation, here is what I plan to do:

-- Write a letter to the General and Regional. The letter will include the following:

1) Explanation of the situation, including the fact that I never signed a document authorizing anyone at the shop drive my vehicle.
2) Make clear that I am frustrated with the situation and very disappointed with the level of professionalism.
3) Inform then that I will not be doing business with them again.
4) Request a formal written apology on the matter.

-- From here on out, do my own oil changes.

Am I overreacting?

Is there anything else that I should do? Any advice out there on how to handle this differently or better?
where was this at?
Old 07-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Checking for leaks???

Four miles is a little much even for that though. If they were going to do it, and it is their "policy" it should be in writing somewhere, or they should have asked your OK first.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:36 PM
SlamMan

Write the letter if you need to get it off your chest. Realize that nothing will come of it since you have no loss. The best thing you can do is vote with your dollar. Tell everyone you know what happened so they won't go there either. I would be sooooo friggin pissed
Old 07-08-2003, 04:42 PM
travelmadness

You know those were 4 rough miles too... redlining, burners, dropping the clutch, grinding gears.... I would demand a refund, and ask the manager to kiss your a**!
Old 07-08-2003, 04:46 PM
labshark7

give me a break man,

who cares.

4 miles is nothing.

What do you hope to accomplish by writing the letter? Do you really think you are owed anything, or that the regional manager will care?

There were no damages to you or your car, what do you want out of this?

They do not need your authorization to drive your car. You assumed this when you dropped it off for an oil change.

I'll ask the questions, because no one else seems to have the guts to.

Why waste time, there are better things to do.
Eric
Old 07-08-2003, 04:49 PM
350zdanny

Don't write the damn letter. You won't get one back. You won't get an apology. And it probably won't even be read by the regional manager. Unfortunately the harsh reality of the situation is that nothing good will come of you writing the letter.

Instead of doing that. Pass on the word about that dealer (make sure to tell the truth completely so it's not slander). Don't take it out on Nissan though simply because a couple ******** went joyriding in your car. They are a good company.

Spend the time you would have wasted writing the letter cleaning your car or something.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:27 PM
little_kulin

Yap......, get a job or something. Get real bro........................
Old 07-08-2003, 07:36 PM
Phatmitzu

Well..I totally understand why Bini2 is reacting this way. Hell, if anyone joy rided my car or even if I think they did...dont matter if they are the service guy or the owner of the dealer..I would be **** off too But I dont think writing a letter can do you any good tho. Im sure tons of people have the same problem. Just dont go back there again. Be koo.

Mark
Old 07-08-2003, 07:43 PM
bshockley

I hope the last three responses were not for real. (edit, the three before the one before mine - if you get my drift)

4 Miles is 4 miles.

It's the principal. Would you like it if someone you don't know got in your car and drove it around for 4 miles without your permission.

I do not know any place that "test drives" the car after an oil change. The most is, they drive it out to the lot for you to pick it up so they can get to someone else's car.

Who knows if there are any damages to his car. Maybe there are? Probably not, but that's not the point.

I don't think this guy is taking it out on Nissan. I don't even know where you got that idea. He's talking about the managers, and YES writing letters do make a difference.

Now that that is said...

Write the letter, it won't take long at all, and I agree to tell others of your ordeal, but do keep to the facts.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:01 PM
s9am_me

exactly.. its the principle. 4 miles is a bit too much for a test drive IMO. I'd be pissed to if they went joyriding in my car with out asking permission. For those who think its BS... let me take your Z out and have a simple "joyride"
Old 07-08-2003, 08:13 PM
350zroadster

write the letter, get it out of your system.

Next time go to a place that specializes in oil change. Over here there's Jiffy Lube that changes the oil and you can see out the window. Plus they only do oil changes, so less things they can tamper with your car to make some extra dollars.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:17 PM
labshark7

you guys are really cracked up,

Do you really think the mechanics took your care out for a joy ride?

They see Z's, repair Z's and sell Z's all freakin day long.

It is just a normal car to them. The manager told you that the test drives are standard practice. What more do you want?

Stop being a cry baby and BsHockley, if you cant take other peoples opnions why dont you go back to the safety of the petting zoo you crawled out of and sell your Z.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:51 PM
BrunoMDeus

Let's say you went in with 7329.9 miles (turning 7330) and you got it when it had just turned 7333... That would make it just a little over 3 miles...

Just trying to make you feel a little better...
Old 07-08-2003, 10:14 PM
350zroadster

Originally posted by labshark7
you guys are really cracked up,

Do you really think the mechanics took your care out for a joy ride?

They see Z's, repair Z's and sell Z's all freakin day long.

It is just a normal car to them. The manager told you that the test drives are standard practice. What more do you want?

Stop being a cry baby and BsHockley, if you cant take other peoples opnions why dont you go back to the safety of the petting zoo you crawled out of and sell your Z.
you should really think before you write.

Do you think the Zs are in dealer shops all the time, the Z constitute a small percentage of the new nissan cars sold. That's further diluted when the few Zs are mixed in older Nissan.

Furthermore, to me, it seem the first manager thought they shouldn't have test drove for a simple oil change, and the other manager was covering up to avoid trouble.

Furthermore, mechanics can't take the unsold Zs on the lot for a drive.

And it's not just about the mileage, when they take the car out for a joy drive, it's that much more likely to suffer some damage, engine damage, or tire damage. Especially since they are getting into someoneelse's car, that they might not be used to driving. And when there is damage, it's usually heresay and the owner can't prove the car didn't have any damage. So they weasle their way out of responsibilty.

I would avoid all these hassel and just go to a quick oil change service. Or tell them you're intersted in watching how they do things because you're into car maintance
Old 07-08-2003, 11:00 PM
PrototypeRacer

I'd would deffinately be pissed off. I have two friends who work for BMW/Audi and hear every week the stories of them and other workers taking out and M3's, TT's and such while they beat the **** out of them. If you think no one would ever abuse your car because they are "profesionals" you are blinded by your own ignorance. If not write the letter to complain about the extra miles write it to complain about the complete lack of concern from the managers you talked to. There might of been a perfectly good excuse for driving it 4 miles but you don't know because they were too lazy to get off their *** and find out for. Also you suggest that they inform customers that their cars will be taken on a "test drive" before they have completed the paperwork.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:24 PM
350z4steve

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
Unfortunatley, they will not change their business practices. I had some bad experiences with a VW dealership in DFW when I had a GTI. I dropped my car off for its semmingly weekly problem to be serviced and I caught them hauling *** in the car and going for donuts at the local donut shop! I was pretty unhappy and let them know about it. Some things just suck. Needless to say, that is one (of many) reasons I will never own or recommend VW to anyone. But still, they will not change because there are enough people out there who don't care if they drive their cars because they don't know the difference and wouldn't care if they did. But I think you should def. communicate your feelings anyways. I did, too.
wow in this situation that seems like they were caught red handed!!
..who wouldnt have a problem with that? I guess if you didnt see them drive it you really dont know how those 4 miles were driven still it might help to check before hand when taking it anywhere if your truly concerned if it requires any test drive..but no I wouldnt think for an oil change ..come on this has been going on since when the Model T was invented?

Complain vehemently I say!!!
Old 07-09-2003, 12:29 AM
s9am_me

oh and sometimes its not the mechanics doing the oil changes. They sometimes leave it up to the high school grad or some young person to do it. The real mechanics work on transmissions and what not. I know because my friend used to work in one when we were in high school and they would mash the heck out of the sports cars they serviced

Quick Reply: 4 extra miles on my car after oil change.