Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

help with reverse on hill

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 07:53 AM
604jojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with reverse on hill

Hey guys, hows everyone doin. Just got my Z'd over the weekend. Lovin it!! although it does take some time to get used to. My biggest problem now is reverse on a hill. I cant seem to get it. my garage is on a slightest hill. once i put the car in reverse it starts rolling forward and if i gas too much and let out the clutch it burns the clutch, but if I dont i keeps rolling forward. I tried using the ebrake method. but the engage point is so high and short that i cant feel the car move to let go of the ebrakes. Any suggestions? thanks.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:58 AM
HDPDZO6

Park backwards. Otherwise, it takes practice.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Kevins350z

use your hand brake
Old 04-27-2008, 08:20 AM
ZR_Yancy

You sure your in reverse & not 6th? You have to push down on the stick & move it like your going into 6th.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:30 AM
CSF

kinda tough to give advice on this since the only thing that will help is practice. sounds like you have trouble maintaining the right RPM or you panic and press the gas too much. you may want to try keeping the gas pedal constant and feathering the clutch. get the revs up just enough that it would be able to move the car, then slowly release the clutch. everytime it feels like the rpms are too low and the car is gonna stall, push in the clutch a little bit, then release the clutch slowly again.
eventually, you should get a feel for it.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:33 AM
malibuboy54

e brake!!! you'll be able to feel when the car is moving....i would advise to get used to the point where the clutch starts to catch and practice a little....either way, congrats and welcome!!!
Old 04-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ebrake.... hold the button down and pull the lever up. Rev until you feel the car moving and let go of the ebrake slowly. Practice and you'll get it.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Swimminggerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZR_Yancy
You sure your in reverse & not 6th? You have to push down on the stick & move it like your going into 6th.
HAHA, yeah funny.

Seriously though, just practice. You said you just got it. It'll take a while until your used to it. I can drive mine blind fold, its just the issue of the turns in the road and random cars pulling in front as to why I dont.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:24 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Get one with auto tranny...S-w-e-e-t, f-l-a-w-l-e-s-s, NO GLITCHES AT ALL!!! (Just 1 MPG less than the MT!). MTs on our beasts are plagued with various issues, per these threads, and CR reliability history.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:52 AM
saberphx

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
Get one with auto tranny...S-w-e-e-t, f-l-a-w-l-e-s-s, NO GLITCHES AT ALL!!! (Just 1 MPG less than the MT!). MTs on our beasts are plagued with various issues, per these threads, and CR reliability history.
LOL!
No but seriously, if you have a hard time backing your 6MT SPORTS CAR out of your drive way back in, other wise you will surely get the hang out it in no time.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:22 PM
crackhbob

Just back in, everyone should practice backing up anyway It gets really convenient no matter where you are to back in, then you can just haul *** outta there later on... if not, like everyone else has already said, practice,practice,practice...
Old 04-27-2008, 02:20 PM
blazed54

I can understand the difficulty of reversing. Unlike the forward gears, I've found that the clutch can never be completely engaged while in R or the car just shoots backwards. Because of that, the entire time I have to reverse, I need to feather the clutch and gas little by little. Anyone else like that?

as for the op, if it is on a slight hill then you can try this.
1) pull the ebrake and put it in R
2) very slowly release the clutch until you can feel a change in the engine, right at the engagement point and hold it. (good practice for finding your engagement point).
3) when you're at the engagement point and haven't yet died out, then hold the clutch there and release the ebrake. your car shouldn't move forward at all, if it does then release the clutch more.
4) apply gas and release the clutch more as your car moves backwards. the reverse gear also requires a decent amount of revs. like 1.5-2k. depending on slope of hill.
5) if you feel like you're going to die out then clutch in and brake and start all over.
6) practice! and for me, even after 10 months of driving, I always silence the radio and turn off the AC so that i can hear my engine when reversing. hope this helps .

actually, the best advice i can give is the reverse your car into the driveway from the start so you just have to drive forward to get out. haha

Last edited by blazed54; 04-27-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's become second nature for me...

Use the ebrake method, and when you get used to it, you'll be able to go right from the brake to the gass without moving forward more than an inch.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:54 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you keep you right foot on the brake and gas? When the clutch catches release the brake.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:13 PM
lionheartednyhc

+1 on the ebrake. Its pretty much the same as starting forward on a hill, maybe a tad more difficult. good luck
Old 04-27-2008, 06:54 PM
jprada26

heres how i do it .(you dont even need to use the gas pedal)

once you put it in reverse hold the clutch all the way in obviously and the brake pedal.

keep your foot on the brake and slowly start letting out the clutch , your gonna feel the car start wanting to take off so you take your foot off the brake and itl sling back .....( no gas needed, and its easy , practice)
Old 04-28-2008, 05:57 PM
cspinner

Originally Posted by blazed54
I can understand the difficulty of reversing. Unlike the forward gears, I've found that the clutch can never be completely engaged while in R or the car just shoots backwards. Because of that, the entire time I have to reverse, I need to feather the clutch and gas little by little. Anyone else like that?

as for the op, if it is on a slight hill then you can try this.
1) pull the ebrake and put it in R
2) very slowly release the clutch until you can feel a change in the engine, right at the engagement point and hold it. (good practice for finding your engagement point).
3) when you're at the engagement point and haven't yet died out, then hold the clutch there and release the ebrake. your car shouldn't move forward at all, if it does then release the clutch more.
4) apply gas and release the clutch more as your car moves backwards. the reverse gear also requires a decent amount of revs. like 1.5-2k. depending on slope of hill.
5) if you feel like you're going to die out then clutch in and brake and start all over.
6) practice! and for me, even after 10 months of driving, I always silence the radio and turn off the AC so that i can hear my engine when reversing. hope this helps .

actually, the best advice i can give is the reverse your car into the driveway from the start so you just have to drive forward to get out. haha
+1.

I have a very short space to back up and the last thing I need is to hit the tall curb behind my spot. The first time I went into reverse, I let the clutch out all the way and the car just took off. Naturally I applied brake, but the engine was about to clunk out with the speed I was comfortable with... So now I just feather the clutch when in reverse.