2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350Z Sales Figures dropping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:53 PM
UMW350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Z is a profitable car, thats why Nissan makes it. Production is dropping off to reduce end items and fulfill the last of the contracts with suppliers and get ready for the 370Z shift in production. You will see an EXPONENTIAL shift in production when the 370Z comes out, from like 300 a month to 2500-3000 a month.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:26 PM
aznxkrnxboi

our values went down so bad!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jcleary47
Hopefully the 370z will clearly show an upgrade in power and performance.

I think one of the problems I'm seeing is a lot of "outsiders" don't understand that the 07+ models have the HR engine, which has noticeable performance increase over previous models.

People probably figure it's the same old Z and are waiting for an upgrade.
It certainly will. I also assume that the price will be $35,000 plus.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:10 AM
KManZ
Banned

I wonder what the sales numbers would have been had the 350Z only been made in 6MT. 50% less? Guess it depends on the ratio of Auto to Manual...
I wish the upcoming 370Z was only available in manual. The S2K has done ok in that manner since 1999
Old 05-01-2008, 05:15 AM
dystopian

Another factor to consider is the effect of the used car market on new car sales. For the first couple of years, if anyone wanted a 350z, they'd most likely have to buy new, as there weren't as many used ones for sale. Now, there are plenty of available low mileage Z's that are only a couple of years old out there for sale, and when considering between a new or used, low miles Z that's several thousand dollars cheaper, it's easy to see why a buyer would be motivated to purchase the used. Just take a look at the New Members section now versus a couple of years back.

This is just opinion, but I think sales of the 350z would be more than 50% less if it had only been made in MT. If I remember correctly, sales figures of the s2k have been declining even worse than the Z.

Last edited by dystopian; 05-01-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:24 AM
jcleary47

Originally Posted by KManZ
I wish the upcoming 370Z was only available in manual.
This would be fine if they solved the history of problems I've been reading about with their manual transmissions. I've seen story after story of people having issues with the manual transmissions in the Z, and they aren't all caused by operator error either.

Wouldn't be wise to go that route, imo. You are shutting the door on a large market of car buyers, and also setting up to **** off a lot of people if the MT problems aren't fixed.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:51 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by dystopian
This is just opinion, but I think sales of the 350z would be more than 50% less if it had only been made in MT. If I remember correctly, sales figures of the s2k have been declining even worse than the Z.
Yes they have, not doing too well as I have witnessed. Then again, the car has been around for nearly 9 years now, and it's time for a redesign. Some gossip going around that the next gen S2K would be a 2+2 seater

Originally Posted by jcleary47
This would be fine if they solved the history of problems I've been reading about with their manual transmissions. I've seen story after story of people having issues with the manual transmissions in the Z, and they aren't all caused by operator error either.

Wouldn't be wise to go that route, imo. You are shutting the door on a large market of car buyers, and also setting up to **** off a lot of people if the MT problems aren't fixed.
If Nissan were to improve the transmission, or use Getrag like did in the Z32, it would increase buyer cost but would probably save them in the long haul on warranty and repair costs.

As for shutting out a large market: yes, in a business case this would not make too much sense for Nissan, but to bolster Nissan's motorsport/enthusiast image and heritage, I think it would be a great decision. But hey, money talks, so I foresee it never happening.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:53 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
I have a thread that I update monthly on 350Z production numbers.

2003..... 36,728
2004..... 30,690
2005..... 27,278
2006..... 24,635
2007..... 18,957

Total Zs... 138,288 (03-07 models)

Jan 08 ... 871 (Jan 07 ... 1,202)
Feb 08 ... 1,092 (Feb 07 ... 1,495)
Mar 08 ... 1,308 (Mar 07 ... 2,561)

New Total 141,559(including March 08)

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....uction+%23%27s

This is a good thing isn't it? Aren't you tired of passing 20 Zs on the road every day? Too many people buying the car ruined the exclusivity of it. Especially when the used '03s hit the market and got snagged up by teenagers!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:03 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
This is a good thing isn't it? Aren't you tired of passing 20 Zs on the road every day? Too many people buying the car ruined the exclusivity of it. Especially when the used '03s hit the market and got snagged up by teenagers!
Hail to you, champion I for one welcome reduced sales. If you have one already, you should agree too, for the very reason stated above.

MT option only = less image buyers, more enthusiast = more exclusivity. Its only logical. AT drivers: suck it up and learn 6spd. It isn't that hard! Come on, join us!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:04 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aznxkrnxboi
our values went down so bad!

I have seen this!! When i now look up what my car is worth on KBB its rediculously low compared to when i bought my car ONLY 6 MONTHS AGO! Trade in value at that time for my 05' touring with 42,000 miles was like 19,000 and now its 16,000 - 17,000.

Im just hoping that the value decline slows a bit so i get some damn principal paid off in time to trade it in for a new 370Z.

BTW, is there any projected release date for the 370?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:39 AM
jcleary47

I honestly don't think having an automatic line will cause the enthusiast market to turn away from the 370z.

It shouldn't, and if it does, that is due to the arrogance of the enthusiast market. For someone to say they won't purchase a car because an automatic transmission is an option is just ridiculous.

The transmission does not make a car a sports car. An enthusiast does not only drive a manual transmission. I love cars, I love working on cars, I love reading, talking, and learning everything I can about cars, but I currently drive an automatic, and have only owned 2 manual vehicles since learning to drive. That makes me less of an enthusiast? Give me a break.

If someone says they don't want a 370z because they offer an automatic version, fine, they don't deserve one in the first place with that type of elitist attitude.

The car makes the car. The technology and research to develop the car make the car. Those who appreciate these things are the enthusiasts.

Those that only look at what kind of transmission it's rolling with and care about nothing more, are not.

The 370z will sell because it's something new. That's what people want.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

The media will do whatever they have to say that we are not in a recession but IMO we are in fact in a recession which good turn into a depression..
Old 05-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Brrcats

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
The media will do whatever they have to say that we are not in a recession but IMO we are in fact in a recession which good turn into a depression..
huh?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Polo08816
Banned

Originally Posted by dystopian
Another factor to consider is the effect of the used car market on new car sales. For the first couple of years, if anyone wanted a 350z, they'd most likely have to buy new, as there weren't as many used ones for sale. Now, there are plenty of available low mileage Z's that are only a couple of years old out there for sale, and when considering between a new or used, low miles Z that's several thousand dollars cheaper, it's easy to see why a buyer would be motivated to purchase the used. Just take a look at the New Members section now versus a couple of years back.

IMO, it's usually the sales of new cars that affects the sales of old cars. The values of old cars should always be adjusted to the selling price and quantity of newer cars. For example, if new 350zs were selling for MSRP in 2003 and now are selling for invoice, well, used 2003 Zs will have to base their pricing off what a buyer can buy a new 2008 Z for instead of what they bought their 2003 for back in 2003.

Control of the market is in the hands of the one who can adjust supply. Adjusting supply of new cars is based on a business decision, whereas supply of used casrs is based on many other factors such as wrecks/accidents, etc.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:52 AM
BYL

I like the factors listed above, poor economy; new vs. old Z's; but don't forget to mention competition. As a two seater car, you know have options! Pontiac and Saturn hit the market with their 2 seaters. Granted, these cars don't compare in performace to the Z, but their price is an attractive attribute. Plus, as of late BMW sales have been declining and they are offering GREAT insentives on the Z4. A friend of mine bought a Z4 over a Z, based on a good price he got, due to their lack of sales. However, i believe a downward slope on a sales graph is a normal path that many cars in an exclusive market have to deal with, a redesign will jump the sales once more!
Old 05-01-2008, 10:08 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Yes, I'm kinda glad my roadster is a little more rare. Especially with my exterior mods.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:14 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by KManZ
MT option only = less image buyers, more enthusiast = more exclusivity. Its only logical. AT drivers: suck it up and learn 6spd. It isn't that hard! Come on, join us!
One of the most ignorant posts I've seen here in awhile. I've probably been driving M/T cars longer than you're alive but choose an A/T due to OC issues with the '06 models. Driving an M/T is not a big deal but you're obviously using this excuse for your shortcomings somewhere else.

I guess the GT-R blows your stupid analogy out of the water about exclusivity in buying M/T cars . . .
Old 05-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Polo08816
Banned

Not enough people buying it to match demand to supply on new cars means used cars values are going to take a hit because of the invoice selling price of new Zs. For those who own Zs and plan to sell, this may be bad....just may be....
Old 05-01-2008, 10:52 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Polo08816
Not enough people buying it to match demand to supply on new cars means used cars values are going to take a hit because of the invoice selling price of new Zs. For those who own Zs and plan to sell, this may be bad....just may be....
Hmmm. I was thinking more along the lines of the 300Z. You don't see that many well maintained or in pristine condition on the roads. And if you did want to purchase one (a decent one) the price would more than likely be higher due to the scarcity of them out there. The less there is of something, the more people are willing to pay for it. If you could throw a rock and randomly hit 20-30 used 300Zs you as a buyer could low-ball the hell out of a seller.
Maybe I'm wrong, just my .02 cents (-.02 after adjusting for gas prices )
Old 05-01-2008, 10:55 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Originally Posted by z-u-later
One of the most ignorant posts I've seen here in awhile. I've probably been driving M/T cars longer than you're alive but choose an A/T due to OC issues with the '06 models. Driving an M/T is not a big deal but you're obviously using this excuse for your shortcomings somewhere else.

I guess the GT-R blows your stupid analogy out of the water about exclusivity in buying M/T cars . . .
I think you're reading WAY too much into his statement. Making any vehicle as standard transmission only will naturally drive the production sales down. And, believe it or not, there ARE Z owners out there that bought it strictly for looks and could care less about the performance aspects.

Quick Reply: 350Z Sales Figures dropping?