Sponsored by:

A quandary

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 10:30 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A quandary

When I pick up my Z, I want to take it on a long break-in ride. I was going to drive down Hwy 1 on the coast to the L.A. area, spend the night there, then come back the next day. That should take care of break-in, and be a great first ride.

The catch is, my wife will only go with me if she can smoke in the car! So, if I want a smoke-free interior, I have to go alone. I wonder how much damage smoking in the car for a couple of days will do? I wonder if it will leave a smell? Maybe I should go alone?
Old 08-16-2002, 10:51 AM
350zpower

geez .. i don't know where to begin .. im sure you lectured your wife on the evils of smoking (not to mention the expense) and foulness ..

if i was you i would go alone .. smoking in a car for a few days leaves an permanent scar .. and will show her you are serious that she should kick that habit .. otherwise this trip may be a good way to get her to stop smoking , tell her she can come if she promises to stop smoking .. otherwise u'll be the bachelor for teh week in the new Z
Old 08-16-2002, 10:54 AM
NissaNZ

Default Re: A quandary

Originally posted by z350z
When I pick up my Z, I want to take it on a long break-in ride. I was going to drive down Hwy 1 on the coast to the L.A. area, spend the night there, then come back the next day. That should take care of break-in, and be a great first ride.

The catch is, my wife will only go with me if she can smoke in the car! So, if I want a smoke-free interior, I have to go alone. I wonder how much damage smoking in the car for a couple of days will do? I wonder if it will leave a smell? Maybe I should go alone?
Take it on the twisties of Sepulveda from the 101 all the way down to Westwood/Century City, now that's a sweet ride in L.A.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:02 AM
nwind21

If

1) she _really_ has to smoke
2) you really want her to come
3) you don't want your car smelling like an old man after 3 days

You can always stop every so often, enjoy the scenery, and let her out to do her thing. ..P

Haha sigh... okay off to bed. Hope to hear good news tomorrow about inbound Z's for those lucky few.

Old 08-16-2002, 01:30 PM
ZON

I think you should definately take me instead!!!
Old 08-16-2002, 04:06 PM
AutoXJunkie

I don't know about the smoke, but from what I understand, heat cycling is pretty important in modern cars- ie, you really shouldn't run it at highway speeds for more than an hour at a time for about the first 1000 miles.

Then again.... actually.... I do know about the smoke. You know how you walk past a smoker coming out of the movies, and your clothes still smell like smoke when you get home? That's like three seconds of contact. You're talking about someone smoking in your car for HOURS. So, I'm pretty sure you'd have to deal with the smoke smell for quite some time afterwards. It might fade after a year or two of windows-down driving.

So I say, instead of doing this long roadtrip, do a few short local trips with the wife instead. That'll be good for your marriage AND your 350Z!
Old 08-16-2002, 05:32 PM
pluckyduck

While I agree that smoking is an all-around bad idea, I do allow a couple of my friends to smoke in my 2000 Eclipse GT. As long as you are moving and the passenger window is cracked (just the passenger window, not both), you will have no problems. The smell will only linger for a couple of hours to a day at most, certainly not 1-2 years.

-Plucky
Old 08-16-2002, 05:38 PM
wxtornado

Nwind21's got the idea z350z. Take her along so she can enjoy it with you, and when she wants to light up, just pull over or into a convenience store or something. Get out, stretch you legs, walk around your new Z in awe a couple of times, you get the idea!
Old 08-16-2002, 05:41 PM
ariZona

Default NO!!!!!

z350z-

Don't let her do it! Like nwind21 said, either stop and have her smoke outside or don't bring her. I hate to be mean, and I am sure your wife is a wonderful person, but to get a brand new car and have it lose that "new car smell" on the first day is NOT something that I would seriously entertainas even an option! My wife smokes as well, but never in the car or the house - she is having a hard time trying to quit, but at least does not want our stuff to smell like smoke! Even if the window is rolled down, there will NEVER be a time when she (or anyone else) will smoke in my new baby! I love my wife, but I think she also understands that a brand new $39,000 + car (Touring 6MT, Navi, taxes) IS NOT just a big fancy ashtray! Hope this helps - keep that car fresh and new!

ariZona
Old 08-16-2002, 06:50 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Thanks for the input, guys. I think I'll stick to the no smoking rule and go alone or take my son with me (she doesn't want to pull over to stop). We already have two vehicles smelling like ashtrays; that's enough.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:06 PM
rai

Originally posted by GEEZEE
z350z

there will be NO COFFEE IN THE 'Z' (It ALWAYS gets spilled)
Do you allow Woppers in your Z? just curious.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:54 PM
silvrz5

Is she going to quit the day you get back from your ride, or are you just going to get ride of her,(wife) after you return from your ride. Or is it going to be the only time she wants to ride in the 350z the day after you get it, due to the alining of the planets?
Old 08-16-2002, 08:11 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Default Re: The last time I checked--

Originally posted by gcinfl
there's no 9 month pre-order wait for new wives.
That's funny! But in my case my wife is so great, she INSISTED I order the Z as soon as I started drolling over it. I thought "can we afford it, bla bla bla" and she said "just order it. Come on, let's go next door right now and ask about it" (our neighbor manages a dealership). I would not have the car if it wasn't for her!
Old 08-16-2002, 08:20 PM
texlace

Default wife

Why are you married to this woman?
Old 08-17-2002, 12:35 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Default Re: wife

Originally posted by texlace
Why are you married to this woman?
Read my message above. She's the perfect wife! (And I don't care about the smoking thing like some people who are so obsessive about it. Anyone who lived in the 70s remembers that everyone smoked everwhere, all the time, in elevators, whatever, and nobody cared. Now people are psycho about it. I don't give a crap about politically correct attitudes towards things. I just know that when she saw I was in love with the car she told me to get it, no questions asked. That's more important than anything else!)

Quick Reply: A quandary