Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Desert Dillema

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 11:22 AM
timmays350

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Desert Dillema

Here's my problem, and I'm simply looking for advice and what anyone else would do. I'm stuck in Baghdad for 8 more months with nothing better to do than gaze at parts after mission. I have a couple options. I know what I want to do (mod wise) with my car, and intend on ordering the majority of them while away. The thing I'm having trouble with is should I wait until I'm home to oversee the installation, or have a trusted buddy do it for me. I love my car and I love driving my car, so the last thing I'm going to want to do is have it stuck in a body shop for the first 3 weeks I'm home. At the same time I would really love to be there when the parts start going on. I'm just curious what others would do. Would you want to come home to your car being complete, and have the feeling like you had nothing to do with it, or suffer not driving your baby??????
Old 05-11-2008, 11:32 AM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I would wait until I got home before I have the parts installed. I'll probably purchase the parts I want while deployed so they'll be on hand when I return. You know how the military talks about "reintegration" after being away? Well, I think you'll need to get reacquainted with your Z when you get back, drive it around and get used to it again. This way you'll also appreciate the modifications a little bit more since you'll see the incremental gains in performance. Besides, you've been away from your Z for a while so a few more weeks of your Z being in the shop when you get back wouldn't hurt that much.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:36 AM
CSF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of mods are you doing? if it's just body stuff, i'd say let your buddy take care of it. if it's performance stuff, i'd wait so i could feel the before/after.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:41 AM
timmays350

There is a good chunk of cosmetic, some suspension but not a whole lot of performance, more power would just get me in trouble where I live, plus there is a vast shortage of tracks around my area so High HP would be worthless.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:48 PM
MadeIn350z

Originally Posted by timmays350
Here's my problem, and I'm simply looking for advice and what anyone else would do. I'm stuck in Baghdad for 8 more months with nothing better to do than gaze at parts after mission. I have a couple options. I know what I want to do (mod wise) with my car, and intend on ordering the majority of them while away. The thing I'm having trouble with is should I wait until I'm home to oversee the installation, or have a trusted buddy do it for me. I love my car and I love driving my car, so the last thing I'm going to want to do is have it stuck in a body shop for the first 3 weeks I'm home. At the same time I would really love to be there when the parts start going on. I'm just curious what others would do. Would you want to come home to your car being complete, and have the feeling like you had nothing to do with it, or suffer not driving your baby??????
I am having my hood replaced as well as a small paint job on my front bumper. I don't trust anyone touching my Z ... I don't think I could handle having someone mess around with my car while im on a different continent. I guess im not a very trusting person but when it comes to the Z id like to be there to make sure they don't **** up... and if they do that they are accountable for it.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:11 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wait & make sure the work is done correctly when you can be a part of the process.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:23 PM
CMyTailsBlink

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently In afghanistan, and I have my car at the shop right now geting all my parts installed. You really just gotta figure out what means more to you, having a car to enjoy when you get back, or have a hand in the build. For me, It was an easy decision... Although I would love to put in the wrench time, the car is my only car and a daily driver, I can't go with a car even for one day. SO, I contacted a Great shop with a great crew of guy, CIN MOTORSPORTS, and they are doing everything and will have my build completed for when i return home. Good luck either way
Old 05-12-2008, 05:03 AM
timmays350

Thanks for the input guys
Old 05-12-2008, 05:19 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait. i know it is hard but that is what i did when i was deployed. when i came home i had some stuff to do on my 30 day block leave.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:22 AM
NightRider80

Originally Posted by CMyTailsBlink
I am currently In afghanistan, and I have my car at the shop right now geting all my parts installed. You really just gotta figure out what means more to you, having a car to enjoy when you get back, or have a hand in the build. For me, It was an easy decision... Although I would love to put in the wrench time, the car is my only car and a daily driver, I can't go with a car even for one day. SO, I contacted a Great shop with a great crew of guy, CIN MOTORSPORTS, and they are doing everything and will have my build completed for when i return home. Good luck either way

Yeah I agree, I did the same thing. I am also in Baghdad right now "CV" and I would rather have a car that is completed when I get back home. Unfortunately, people in our situations have no choice but to find a trust worthy shop and put your trust into them to do the right thing for you. Like CMyTailsBlick put his trust in CIN M. I put my trust into Project Auto Salon and my car is there as we speak. Pretty much all you can do is pray they do it right the first time. But that is why you find a shop that gets great reviews and puts out nothing less than A+++ work. Like one of the gentlemen said earlier depend what is important to you, "Putting in the wrench time when you get home, or having a car to drive when you get home."
Old 05-12-2008, 06:34 AM
SOZ

Wait till you get home. Years ago I too had a "trusted" buddy who needed to borrow my car to run a quick errand. I was waiting outside when he got back and when I got in the car I noticed the temp gauge was up near the hot mark. He then proceeded to tell me how he could burn rubber by shifting into second as he went around a corner. I've never loaned a car to anyone since.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Boosted4

I am just now getting ready to leave Baghdad myself. I have accumulated some parts this last month but not had them installed them yet. I will be doing it myself at some point, to save on labor and to give myself some unwinding time after the deployment and relaxation on working on my car.

There are some things that I will probably send the car to the shop to have done, but I will do as much as I can myself before hand. My parts are mostly performance mods though, so those can be done myself, unlike body work. Tha really needs a professional to do it.

This is just my opinion though, you can save some cash to go towards other goodies for the car.

Good luck on your 8 months you have left, just got done with 15 months here and on my 3rd deployment. Look for good deals throughout the deployment and jump on groupbuys when you can.

D
Old 05-12-2008, 08:53 AM
sinister350z

Poll It!