Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Are 350Z owners afraid to track their cars??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 05:08 PM
raceboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I will be out at the Streets of Willow here in SoCal on August 3rd. This will be my first time out on "R" comp rubber, so I really am looking forward to the results. I am sure it won't be FTOTD, but my goal is to be the fastest of the non-racecars. That would mean about 4th or 5th fastest of the day. Maybe a little too lofty, but I always aim high!! The #'s won't lie!!
Old 07-18-2003, 12:09 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by raceboy
Well, I will be out at the Streets of Willow here in SoCal on August 3rd. This will be my first time out on "R" comp rubber, so I really am looking forward to the results.

Nice! Definitely give us a comparison on how the car handles the track with street vs r-compound tires.

On that note, how are you getting the wheels/tires to the track? I'm assuming you won't be driving to the track on the R tires, right? (Don't wanna wear them out prematurely!) Are you maybe going to have a friend go with you in a pickup so he can haul in the track wheels while you drive there on your street wheels? Or maybe you can slap a trailer hitch on your 350 and haul in your own wheels?
Old 07-23-2003, 05:33 PM
dreamznblu

I think as the bolt on market expands and reduces in price... u will see more ppl at the track. Give it time, how long has the S2000 been out? I am not going to waste gas on a track to run a stock engine. I know how fast my car is and I don't have anything to prove..... yet.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:20 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by dreamznblu
I think as the bolt on market expands and reduces in price... u will see more ppl at the track. Give it time, how long has the S2000 been out? I am not going to waste gas on a track to run a stock engine. I know how fast my car is and I don't have anything to prove..... yet.

We definitely have different reasons for going to the track. When I'm driving on the track, I'm not there to prove anything to anyone. I'm only there to have fun and improve my driving skills. I mean, heck, I usually have never even met any of the other people there, so what would I have to prove? And to what end? A very positive benefit is that my driving abilities have improved *dramatically* over the years as I've been going to the track and a few autocrosses.

And you have to remember, most of the track time we've been discussing thus far in this thread has been of the Driving School variety. At these driving schools, they generally do not time you. This means you have no idea what yoru laps times are, and thus there is no way to prove anything even if you wanted to.

As far as the power of your engine, why do you feel you need more power to have fun at a track? I would argue that it doesn't even matter. I can *guarantee* you that there are people at the track who would absolutely stomp you while driving a car with half the power. At the same time, you and your stock 350Z could probably stomp other people driving 911 Turbos. When it comes to diving on a track, lap times are mostly based on driver skill. The power of your car is nothing without you being able to control it.

On that note, many people would argue that it's often more fun to drive cars with a little less power than those with big power. When a car is less powerful, it's harder to get yourself into trouble with it, and thus it's a bit less stressful to push it to the limits.

Two common examples of this which are often referred to in car magazines are the Mini (new and old varieties) and the 911 Turbo vs the 911 C4S. The Minis handle extremely well, and are very easy to drive especially because they don't have a ton of power. As far as the Porches, the C4S uses the same suspension and everything that the Turbo has, but it only has the naturally aspirated engine. The reviewers almost always say the C4S is more fun to drive, simply because you don't have the "oh crap" factor that the Turbo has with its huge power.

I can personally agree with this whole-heartedly. I have an Audi A4 which I've driven on the track many times, from it's stock incarnation to it being heavily modified. I mostly did handling upgrades first. With its wimply 150 hp engine, I had a *ton* of fun at the track. I could just flog the thing around all day and it hardly got into trouble ever. Once I started doing the big power upgrades, though, it started getting a lot more serious at the track. With all that extra speed and power, I really had to watch out. It was honestly more fun with less power. Not as fast on the straight-aways, for sure, but way more fun in the corners.

Anyway, sorry for my rant. I just get frustrated when people feel they need some sort of seriously upgraded car just to go to the track... especially when they've already got almost 300 hp of sports car!
Old 07-23-2003, 08:50 PM
dreamznblu

Well, I appreciate the fact that you took time to respond and explain your side of the story. I was taking the term "track" to mean a 1/4 mile track where you do take on another car and compete. I guess racing isn't the same here as it is where you reside. I live in a midwest city where "the track" is packed w/ ricer teenage anxiety driven idiots and old hicks driving 57 Chevy's. We really dont have any drift or autocross tracks to run. Maybe we do and I just dont know where they are.

I guess I just dont feel that aftermarket parts are "wasted" (not your words, responding to an earlier post) if you dont spend time at the track. It's a hobby for me & I am here for the same reason you are, to learn. I'm in it for the adrenaline rush I get when I stomp on the gas pedal and the metaphorical middle finger that I give to everyone that adores my "Natasha". I just wanna own something sick that draws a crowd of salivating spectators. Especially the ones w/ t*ts .
Old 07-23-2003, 09:07 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by jreiter
Nice! Definitely give us a comparison on how the car handles the track with street vs r-compound tires.

On that note, how are you getting the wheels/tires to the track? I'm assuming you won't be driving to the track on the R tires, right? (Don't wanna wear them out prematurely!) Are you maybe going to have a friend go with you in a pickup so he can haul in the track wheels while you drive there on your street wheels? Or maybe you can slap a trailer hitch on your 350 and haul in your own wheels?
Actually, I will be taking them all in the car. The passenger seat is coming out for three of the wheels and the fourth one is going in the spare tire well.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:21 AM
Blue Liquid

Originally posted by jreiter
I just get frustrated when people feel they need some sort of seriously upgraded car just to go to the track... especially when they've already got almost 300 hp of sports car!
Yeah, I have a friend who refused to do his first autocross unless he bought some new sway bars for his GTI. He didn't want to do it stock because he thought he would be 'too slow'. Despite schooling him on the matter, he was adamant. I think he was just scared.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:25 PM
racin

I have scanned some of the posts to this thread, and seen a hint of people not really knowing what they need to do to their cars, and what to expect. I am an instructor for a couple of organizations here in Florida, and track drive my Z several days a month. I have been keeping a record of the findings that have come to light with the Z, and anyone can access them (minus the latest update, which has been sent to my web guy to be posted) here:
http://www.ntechengineering.com/inde...ction=projectz

It gives an idea of where the Z is lacking, and how we are correcting things. Sebrng next weekend will be the car's first outing using slicks.
To get started, you basically need to invest in a good set of high performance brake pads. I would recommend a Performance Friction 93 or 01 compound, or our lapping or competition pads. You should think about air cooling ducts as well (ours are almost done with the development stage). THe Z is heavy, and even the track model brakes could become inadequate once you really get cooking. But that will take some time. You will want to completely flush you brake system out and put a high temperature brake fluid like Motul 600 RBF, or AP Racing's stuff. This will keep your brake fluid from boiling.
Think about a 5 or 6 point harness, to keep you planted in the driver's seat. This will allow better concentration on driving. Beyond that, you will find things out as you go. Hopefully you will get a good instructor who really is knowledgeable and wants to help you. If you follow the safety rules, and learn good habits, the time you spend on track can be among the most enjoyable time you will have anywhere.

In Florida, check out these sites for driver ed days:
www.chinmotorsports.com
www.drivenasafl.com
I will also be instructing at Virginia International Raceway in September at a Mazda driver's event, but they will take other makes there, I believe. See it at:
http://www.mazdadrivers.com/

Hope this info helps the wary...
Old 07-26-2003, 03:00 PM
bhobson333

Originally posted by dreamznblu
I was taking the term "track" to mean a 1/4 mile track where you do take on another car and compete. I guess racing isn't the same here as it is where you reside.
You are absolutely right. Most of the posters here weren't talking about the 1/4 mile dragstrip (where IMHO the Z is respectable but doesn't really "shine") but rather the road course where you have to do more than plant your right foot and shift fast. It's in the combination of the straights, twistys and elevation changes where the 350Z really proves what an incredible car it is.

I bet this kind of course is more available than you may think. I know that others can provide links to sites that list all of the High Performance Driving Event tracks in the country.

You really ought to try it out. It might not get you laid, but it will make you a better driver.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:30 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by raceboy
Actually, I will be taking them all in the car. The passenger seat is coming out for three of the wheels and the fourth one is going in the spare tire well.

That's definitely one way to do it! Good luck with that, and let us know how the tires worked at the track.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:48 AM
gibbsy1
Charter Member #33

I had my first track session at Buttonwillow's performance driving clinic over the weekend and all I can say is WOW!! That was so much fun!

When I got back to work on Monday, everyone was asking me how fast did I go on the track. I told them I honestly had no idea. I was so busy thinking about where the line was, where the apex for the next corner was, that I never looked at my speedometer. And, frankly, it doesn't bother me that I don't know how fast I was going. The thrill of knowing you had the right line and hit the corner perfectly (OK, maybe not perfectly, but pretty close!) was way more satisfying than knowing how fast I was going.

After this experience, I don't see any reason for me to add any engine modifications. I need way more practice driving at the current power level.

Dave
Old 07-29-2003, 09:02 AM
racin

Originally posted by gibbsy1
I had my first track session at Buttonwillow's performance driving clinic over the weekend and all I can say is WOW!! That was so much fun!

After this experience, I don't see any reason for me to add any engine modifications. I need way more practice driving at the current power level.

Dave
Glad you had a good time. I am impressed that you have seen the reality of track driving so quickly. The driver is the best piece to modify first if you want to go fast. Very impressed. Keep learning, and you will do great!
Old 07-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Jason Bourne

Racin is right. the only things you need on your car for the first couple of years of tracking are brakes and tires. And you can probably get by with a completely stock car (including stock pads and brake fluid) for the first couple of events.

Jason
Old 07-29-2003, 10:13 AM
racin

Originally posted by Jason Bourne
Racin is right. the only things you need on your car for the first couple of years of tracking are brakes and tires. And you can probably get by with a completely stock car (including stock pads and brake fluid) for the first couple of events.

Jason
THough you may be right in certain instances, with certain drivers on certain courses, I would have to recommend changing over to a high temp brake fluid, and a good set of competition style brake pads. No sense in risking things even when you are beginning.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:08 AM
Jason Bourne

Originally posted by racin
THough you may be right in certain instances, with certain drivers on certain courses, I would have to recommend changing over to a high temp brake fluid, and a good set of competition style brake pads. No sense in risking things even when you are beginning.
Certainly, brake upgrades can't hurt. But I did my first few events with a completely stock car (BMW) since I didn't want to invest in parts and labor until I really knew that I would continue tracking my car. On the other hand, a friend of mine drove my car to the track for the first time ever when I had PF01s and ATE superblue and managed to wear the pads clear through the backing plates, and take about 1mm off those. Of course we were sharing the car so the brakes just weren't cooling but I guess it depends on driving more than anything. I think most people's first events could probably withstand stock brakes (on most tracks). If in doubt, Superblue or Motul 600 and some slightly more aggressive pads can't hurt. I guess it depends, most of the novice students I've instructed have survived with very minimal brake upgrades, but definitely needed them after a few events. BMWs also have better cooling (with factory ducts into the wheelwell) than the 350Z which is obviously a factor.

I think for novices, it may be subobtimal to jump to a competition pad (like a Hawk Blue of PF01) right away, since they often tend to keep the same set of pads for street and track. The willingness to switch pads and the level of the student are what i look for when a student asks my advice regarding pad choice.

Jason