Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Different Clutch Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 02:21 PM
Vicarious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different Clutch Noise

ok..i looked through the forums about clutch noise and it seems that nobody has my problem. ok..whenever im in 1st and if i go a little distance and push the clutch down, sometimes there will be this clunky noise..its quite loud with the window down. and then when i shift from 1-2, it also makes a clunky noise. all of the other gears do not make this noise. other than the noise, the car still drives smootly and there are no bumps. should i take it to the dealer? or assume its normal like quite a few of u guys said it was.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:29 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to have the same type of problem and I am certain that there are posts discussing this problem. I have always suspected that it was the flexible coupling in the Y pipe causing part of the exhaust to bang against the underside of the car. Since I put on the Borla exhaust, which does not have this couping, I have not experienced the problem. I would by no means take this as the reason for the problem. I would either look under the car for marks from the banging or take it to the dealer and have them look. Good Luck ....
Old 07-15-2003, 06:13 PM
AustinTX_350Z

Default Got the clutch noise!

Zicarious:

Hey - I have the exact same problem ... you described it perfectly! I've noticed that when the car is warm it doesn't do it. Is this the case with you?

Let me know if you find anything else out please, and I'll do likewise! Good luck dude!
Old 07-15-2003, 08:41 PM
brucela

Default Same clunking noise

I have the same noise when in first gear. If going into my driveway in first gear when I push in the clutch I hear a loud CLUNCK!! Took it in and they say it's not the trannie, so their going to check it out again Friday. They are going to rotate my tires tomarrow, no pulling but some feathering at only 2000 miles. He did say if they had time while it was up on the rack they might check out the Trannie/Clutch then. I will keep all informed!!
Bruce
Old 07-15-2003, 09:10 PM
AustinTX_350Z

Thanks Bruce! I have that same problem when going up my driveway into my garage in first gear. It's a somewhat steep, but short, incline. When I push in the clutch, it's extremely loud! Mine's been doing it since I first got it - I'm going on 5500 miles and still doing it.

Can you take your Z to any Nissan dealership, regardless of where you bought it, for service that is covered under warranty?
Old 07-15-2003, 09:10 PM
Vicarious

sounds good..keep us informed. hopefully its not a problem. do u also have that sound when u shift from 1-2?
Old 07-16-2003, 04:47 AM
BigBadBuford

I had the same problem. The car would clunk on shifting from 1-2 and getting on/off the gas in 1st gear. Is the noise coming from the rear of your car? I took mine to the dealer and it ended up that the axles were loose. The dealer said they tightened the bolts that held the axle in and ever since the problem is gone.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:53 AM
jleighZ

Mine is doing the same. Guess I will call the dealer and see what they can do about it cause it is rather annoying.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:17 AM
AustinTX_350Z

Originally posted by BigBadBuford
I had the same problem. The car would clunk on shifting from 1-2 and getting on/off the gas in 1st gear. Is the noise coming from the rear of your car? I took mine to the dealer and it ended up that the axles were loose. The dealer said they tightened the bolts that held the axle in and ever since the problem is gone.
The axle?? Loose?? Is that safe?? Yeah, mine does it when I let of the clutch and push it in in 1st, shifting to 2nd, and sometimes, but rarely, 3rd.

Yeah - it sounds a little ghetto. Kind of embarassing because it is loud and sounds like you're f***ing up your car for some odd reason. I noticed that it doesn't do it as much when the car is warm, but it will always do it when I'm about to park in my garage.

And, oh yes, the noise comes from the front of the car - in the middle, where the engine is - I think.

What the hell, did they just slap these things together?? Time for a little a$s whoopin' at the Nissan factory!
Old 07-16-2003, 01:33 PM
Vicarious

yeah..im gettin the sound from the front and middle of the car. lol...it is embarrasing when ur at a light and there are pedestrians and then u accel n shift and then CLUNK and the ppl look at u in the Z and...man.. =\
Old 07-16-2003, 07:57 PM
BigBadBuford

Originally posted by AustinTX_350Z
The axle?? Loose?? Is that safe?? Yeah, mine does it when I let of the clutch and push it in in 1st, shifting to 2nd, and sometimes, but rarely, 3rd.

Yeah - it sounds a little ghetto. Kind of embarassing because it is loud and sounds like you're f***ing up your car for some odd reason. I noticed that it doesn't do it as much when the car is warm, but it will always do it when I'm about to park in my garage.

And, oh yes, the noise comes from the front of the car - in the middle, where the engine is - I think.

What the hell, did they just slap these things together?? Time for a little a$s whoopin' at the Nissan factory!
I don't know if the loose axles are a safety issue or not, but I can't imagine that it is a good thing. When I first started hearing the noise it sounded like it was coming from the middle of the car, but I had my brother listen to it while I was in the driveway and he said it was coming from the rear. I actually thought it was my exhaust clanking around. If you take your car to the dealer I would definitely have them check this out because it sounds like a similar issue.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:11 PM
cdrami

guys, i have the g35c 6mt and i get the SAME noises...i just ignored it, until now! Same thing.....less aparent while car is warm. I dont think it is the axles... that would affect ALL G's and Z's, not just 6MT's
the clunk sound only happens when the clutch pedal is pressed
hmm...should call the service advisor tomorrow... maybe its TSB time
Old 06-25-2004, 11:13 AM
Azeotrope

Originally posted by teh215
I used to have the same type of problem and I am certain that there are posts discussing this problem. I have always suspected that it was the flexible coupling in the Y pipe causing part of the exhaust to bang against the underside of the car.
I have the same thing as well. I'll look into the linkage.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:35 PM
gunbbang121

seems like many people are having this problem... can no one find the cure to this horrible problem?
Old 06-25-2004, 01:40 PM
overlord tom

I have it too. I just noticed it the other day when both my windows were down and I was pulling through the driveway and pushed in the clutch. There is a brick wall next to the driveway so I heard it reflect off the wall quite clearly. It sounded like a noise that a diesel would make. This clunky, sputtery sound of a beat up old car. How embarrassing! I'm only a few miles from break-in and never noticed it before (usually have the stereo cranked). Now that I heard it once, I hear it all the time when doing low speed clutching.

Anyone who gets this fixed, let us all know so we can flood the dealers and do the same.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:59 PM
nitrousoxidex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same with me. But I try to push the clutch slowly at the same time of the release of gas and it doesnt really happen, this only happens when I step on the clutch too fast. I might go and have this checked out when I go get my free oil change at Nissan.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:12 PM
Vicarious

hey guys
i used to have this problem quite frequently, and i brought it to the dealer...he said its normal and its called "backlash"

i have 8000 miles on my Z now and it rarely makes that noise anymore...i think its a break in thing
Old 06-25-2004, 04:00 PM
Azeotrope

Mine isn't backlash. Backlash is when the normal slop in the gears causes them so slip one way or another.

In my case the linkage between the pedal and the clutch pops when the pedal is just pushed. I don't think you can have backlash when the car aint moving.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:48 PM
Nforce1

I have the SAME exact problem that u guys are explaining, when i went to the dealer... I told the service guy about it, and he tryed to reproduce the sound, but the car was already warmed up by then (test driving it for the original reason why i brought it in, wind noise on the drivers window)...
Old 06-25-2004, 10:47 PM
overlord tom

Originally posted by Nforce1
I have the SAME exact problem that u guys are explaining, when i went to the dealer... I told the service guy about it, and he tryed to reproduce the sound, but the car was already warmed up by then (test driving it for the original reason why i brought it in, wind noise on the drivers window)...
You have the "wind whistling" thing going on with the driver's side window too?

So far the CD conks out over 90 degrees, I had a wierd "mold smell" coming from the vents which magically went away after I posted it. Then the diesel tranny sound, and wind whistle since I drove off the lot.

I'm beginning to think we ALL have the same build flaws.

Last edited by overlord tom; 06-25-2004 at 10:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Different Clutch Noise