Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Put aside differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 03:42 AM
wadd3456

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmm

Im certainly not 16 but im definately no 30+ year old. I just turned 23 in May.

I own 2 cars
Finished College a year early
Have a respectable engineering position at Yamaha Motors
Havent been given any hand outs.

AND HAVE BUSTED MY A$$ to afford this freekin car. I work 9-10hrs a day salary then come home and make aftermarket parts for cars in my garage. I do this 7 days a week and will continue to untill I put the money down on the car come Nov.

I really dont like young people getting hand outs. I guess its more of an angry jealous thing then anything else. My first car was an 82 Audi out of a scrap yard. I made 4.35/hr and worked my tail for that piece of garbage. Butttttt found some respect in the end.

Just my 3c

Old 08-19-2002, 03:51 AM
ICYBLUE1203

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 17. I am going to be working 30 hours a week to pay for the Z plus going to high school full time. Hard work but definetly worth it. I understand its such a great car for someone my age, but I do know one thing. I deserve that damn car more than that bratty *** kid that posted. If my parents bought me the car, I'll take it, but I will still appreciate it as much as if I was working because I know what they are doing for me. So either way, you could pay it on your own or have someone buy it for you, it depends on the person if they are bratty or will appreciate it.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:54 AM
Peregrine

I'm 36, and I have always had to work for my car payments.

Does working to pay your own bills teach young people a valuable lesson? Yes, absolutely.

Would I have turned down a brand new Z-car, if my parents had offered it to me on my 16th birthday? No way in hell.

You can blame the parents for spoiling their kids, but there's no way you can blame a red-blooded, teenaged auto enthusiast for accepting a shiny new sports car. Though you can blame him if he acts like an arrogant jerk about it...
Old 08-19-2002, 04:03 AM
Jim Reichard

I would like to stick up for Victor a little. I think most people have benefited from his posts and he certainly seems mature beyond his years. I am an old F and will never have the computer knowledge he has.

He mentions he has a bike and there is no car that will challenge your survival as a youth like a bike.

I would however totally agree with the general premise that young people should not be given this car because they are not mature enough to handle it.

How many times have you seen inexperiened people get or be given sports cars and/or airplanes and end up dead.

One final observation having been around the horn a time or two - 1st generation money loves making the money - the game - 2nd and future generations love spending it and being known for social causes.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:23 AM
leadfoot

Victor, what kind of riding experience did you have before your father purchased a bike for you?

Just taking a stroll down memory lane and remember a kid who had a 300zx turbo when he was in high school. His father got him the car for exceptional grades and being in contention for a state championship in golf. Not a bad guy as I remember.

My son is an exceptional student and has shown maturity beyond his age, I wonder if I won't step up and help him get something stylin? He will certainly be allowed to drive my car whatever that happens to be at the time.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:35 AM
raceboy
Banned

Someone mentioned here that 16yr olds can't drive that well. I'll show you some 16 yr olds that I race with that will humble any member of this board (I am 30 BTW not 16).

All the whining just sounds like jealousy to me. Yeah, we have had to work for ours, blah blah blah. Tough!! We were also born in the United States of America and therefore the arguement could be made by anyone in a less affluent country that AMERICANS don't appreciate ANYTHING they have because we are born into it.

Quit yer bitchin!

Old 08-19-2002, 05:29 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

here's my wooden penny,

I've been racing since the age of 14 when I bought my first car, a 1969 Chevy Camaro. Since that time my parents have invested all of zero dollars and zero cents to my cars at any point.

think about this, I owned, after some extensive although poorly setup modifications, an 11 second 1/4 mile car. When I turned 16 and recieved my drivers certificated this was my daily driving car as well. I was told by countless idiots that I was spoiled, a daddy's boy, and so on by people at school, at the race track, and around town. I put up with this pretty much through my college days with some of the various other cars I've owned.

I for one hate people that jump to conclusions with data or facts to back their points. when I read the other thread I was sickened to think that some older members were so self-centered to jump to conclusions that a 16 year could not appreciate money. I went to a very well to do catholic high school, all male, and some of the people there were given corvettes, porsches, BMWs etc... for their 16th birthday. Although some wouldn't know the value of a dollar if it kicked them in the head, most of them did.

The fact is that at the end of the day the 350Z is just a car. It's an average priced car at that. It's got great performance for the buck and is in a class all it's own, but when it's all said and done it's just a car.

The other fact is that as long as there's more then one person on this earth there's going to be a difference of opinion and many times people's blight-sighted attitudes will cause them to jump to conclusions before stopping and trying to figure things out first.

My best advise to everyone is stop and figure things out first before argueing or expressing opinions based on your own small window of the world. I'm the last to admit I'm right and the first to admit I'm wrong.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:26 AM
BRICKS Z

Angry enough of the spoiled brat already

thi will be short and sweet .....
i always check out a new thread and i can't believe this spoiled brat has annoyed us all so much ... me to
my first car was 69 plymouth belvedere 110,000 miles dent in the door and i had to earn that when dad got his new car i had to do extra work around the house for it and i did and i was glad to get it and BTW i even got laid in it at the drive in during the movie THE FOG... try to do that in the Z with out dislocating something.....
LOL
thought u might get a kick out of this
i hope daddy buys him the Z and he gets stuck on the gear shift while he trys to get to 3rd base

Old 08-19-2002, 06:46 AM
Slareau02

Well I guess I should take up for 16 year old betheren. When I was 14 my dad took me to a parking lot in his brand new bmw Z3 and taught me to drive stick. People thought he was even crazier when he let me drive it whenever when I had my permit. They think he is even more insane for giving me that car now that I have my liscense. And to top it off you will all think he is clinicaly insane becuaset tommorrow is the first day of my junior year and guess what car I am driving to school: Most of the time the BMW and on ocasion my moms escalade. Now some of you may think this is just stupid but it boils down and comes back to Victors point before. Its trust. My dad trusts me driving his cars becuase he knows that I won't do anyhting stupid or irrational. Hopefully I will have a 350z sometime at the beginning of 2003. Many of you think that is the most irresponsible thing you could do as a parent. I tend to disagree and yes, I realize there might be a slight bias here. If my dad can bestoy enough responsiblity in me by giving me a 30K sports car and I can handle that and learn many lessons of responsibilty then so be it. I realize how fortunate I am. Then again I don't wear it on my sleeve like many of my friends do. I am sure that all of you would have taken a 30K sports car when you were 16. I mean who are you kidding. Some of you say that I should have a job. Well as my dad says my job is school, and like many of you take your jobs seriously I do too. Im in the top 5 of my class, I have a 5.88 GPA and I'm in the IB program. So my dad rather that I focus on school rather than a job. So hes gonna buy me a car. And in his mind he doesn't want to spend money on something that he wouldn't enjoy to drive also. Might as well get something decent/fun.
And on to the comments of general disregard for 16 year olds on this forum in totality. This is just ignorant. I can be and am willing to bet that I am just a big 350z enthusiast as almost all of you. I have followed the car since I first saw the concept model. So please, Have some respect for us 16 year olds. Like Victor ( I think) said: We aren't all arrogant ******. Just cut us some slack and be happy that we are part of the 350z phenoma.
Stephen

Last edited by Slareau02; 08-19-2002 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:51 AM
Boomer

Default PUT ASIDE

Originally posted by VQracer
You guys know I'm 16 rrrrrrright???

Just want to let you guys know that NOT all 16 year olds are careless little ******.

Victor
Vic, no one on this forum considers you just a kid, your enthusiasm and expertise on a variety of subjects automotive, especially the Z makes you a true Zfanatic just like the rest of us old farts, and many others not so old.

The 16 year old the other posts have been hostile to, and need to lighten up on, he's not worth getting worked up about, he needs to do some reading about the Z and maybe he''ll begin to understand our fascination and joy at getting a new 350Z. Give him time to read background on this site and others and perhaps he will be enlightened. We ought to make him serve an apprenticeship with VQ before we acknowledge any more of his posts.

Boomer--I told you I hate being the voice of (un)reason.
BR/FR/AT

Last edited by Boomer; 08-19-2002 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:28 AM
Boomer

Default put aside reprise

Originally posted by Slareau02
Well I guess I should take up for 16 year old betheren. When I was 14 my dad took me to a parking lot in his brand new bmw Z3 and taught me to drive stick. People thought he was even crazier when he let me drive it whenever when I had my permit. They think he is even more insane for giving me that car now that I have my liscense. And to top it off you will all think he is clinicaly insane becuaset tommorrow is the first day of my junior year and guess what car I am driving to school: Most of the time the BMW and on ocasion my moms escalade. Now some of you may think this is just stupid but it boils down and comes back to Victors point before. Its trust. My dad trusts me driving his cars becuase he knows that I won't do anyhting stupid or irrational. Hopefully I will have a 350z sometime at the beginning of 2003. Many of you think that is the most irresponsible thing you could do as a parent. I tend to disagree and yes, I realize there might be a slight bias here. If my dad can bestoy enough responsiblity in me by giving me a 30K sports car and I can handle that and learn many lessons of responsibilty then so be it. I realize how fortunate I am. Then again I don't wear it on my sleeve like many of my friends do. I am sure that all of you would have taken a 30K sports car when you were 16. I mean who are you kidding. Some of you say that I should have a job. Well as my dad says my job is school, and like many of you take your jobs seriously I do too. Im in the top 5 of my class, I have a 5.88 GPA and I'm in the IB program. So my dad rather that I focus on school rather than a job. So hes gonna buy me a car. And in his mind he doesn't want to spend money on something that he wouldn't enjoy to drive also. Might as well get something decent/fun.
And on to the comments of general disregard for 16 year olds on this forum in totality. This is just ignorant. I can be and am willing to bet that I am just a big 350z enthusiast as almost all of you. I have followed the car since I first saw the concept model. So please, Have some respect for us 16 year olds. Like Victor ( I think) said: We aren't all arrogant ******. Just cut us some slack and be happy that we are part of the 350z phenoma.
Stephen
Please read my last post in this thread. You are the type of young driver I was referring to, not the object of everyone's wrath for his abysmal lack of soul where the 350Z is concerned. I don't have a problem with your dad buying you a Z for your first car. I bought my son his car as a graduation present at the beginning of his senior year in high school so he could drive it all year.

I certainly do not consider you an arrogant *****; its obvious you are a part of the 350Z craze and are welcome in this forum. If you haven't noticed, it gives us all a chance to dicuss a number of topics, not just about the Z. I find it fascinating and so do many of the people who participate/lurk. All are welcome, except those who are belligerent-prone and JMANZ and the moderators see to them.

So relax and enjoy the discussions and join in when you feel like or lurk as long as you like; we're easy here. Remember, there are no stupid questions, thats how people learn.

Boomer
BR/FR/AT
Old 08-19-2002, 07:37 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Just want to post my agreement with Boomer. I like the fact that we get opinions from such a diverse group, age wise we go from Victor to at least RocketScientist (sorry if there are older people here than you RocketScientist). I think its cool, that someone here can compare the new z to the 1958!!! launch of the Mercury Rocket, while on the other end of the spectrum, the kids can keep us old farts up to date. (I hate to admit that I did not know what RICE was when I first come here ). I also agree that we have spent way too much time on the 16 year old ***** that started this whole conversation, but the problem wasn't that he was 16, ITS THAT HE WAS A *****. And as I stated previously, I damn sure wouldn't have turned down a Z if my parents gave me one when I was 16. As far as whether 16 year olds should drive a Z, let's just say that there is a wide range of opinion on that subject.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:48 AM
evicid

Default good parenting

I have to admit I got pretty pissed off when I read that a 16 year old was getting handed a $30,000 car, and that the kid clearly was a little bratty. My bigger problem is the fact that the kid is getting a FAST, POWERFUL car. I don't think someone that young should be given that much power. It's true that you need experience to become a good driver.

When I was 17 (17 to drive in NJ), my parents bought me a brand new Pontiac Sunfire. That's right. A sunfire. It's not much of a car, but you know what, when I was 17, I had no urge to try and race it, it got me from point A to point B, and because it was new I didn't have to worry about it breaking down. They didn't want me to have my hands on much power at such a young age. I totally understand where they are coming from and will probably do the same with my kids. Now that I'm 23, and a more experienced driver, and holding down a regular job as a computer engineer, I can afford a more powerful car, so that's what I'm getting.

Just my thoughts.....