Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I saw a review on Top Gear Re: the 350z - is "this..." true?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:01 AM
R-TuneZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 300zx1985
The guy from Top Gear is a ******, It is a sports car, the engine needs to sound aggresive and audible.
+1, he whines a lot about nothing at all. the guy obviously has VERY specific needs and wants from any car, and if one thing is wrong with it, he just bashes on it the entire show. if the car you drove does require a lot of micromanaging in order to maintain a straight line, then you might want to consider checking it for frame damage or it could be as simple as needing an alignment. i have a 04.5 and i can literally let go of the wheel for like 5 minutes at a time (though i don't...), it drives straighter than my mama. do not base your opinion on what others tell you. research the car, spend some time driving a few, and make the decision on your own, because ultimately, it will be your car.

Last edited by R-TuneZ; 07-19-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:03 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
Top Gear's 350z review only showed Clarkson's disgust for American designed cars.
+1
Old 07-19-2008, 11:37 AM
411Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill give you my review of the car, since i never thought i would own a nissan before i drove this car a few months ago....

this car is everything a sports car ever wanted to be. its a tight ride, and can sometimes feel bumpy, but in honesty is perfect, because you need to feel the road in a car like this.
its a very driveable car in the fact that you scream to nearly 100 miles an hour in third gear (HR), but it has no problem cruising 35. im not sure if you have any experience with high performance cars, but normally a car that is meant to go fast can be quite tempermental in slower driving conditions. this car is very well mannered.
a workout?? hardly. honestly, i have no idea why some people say this. this could be one of the smoothest cars ive ever driven (ive always been a muscle car guy). if you drive it right, it transitions the shift perfectly, often times never giving a jolting feeling in and out of power. on the other hand, it isnt very forgiving... meaning if your not smooth with your shifts it can become rocky, and jerk on you a bit until you regain control of it.
dollar for dollar, imo, this car beats anything else in its class. i have a c-5 corvette that belongs to my dad that i used to cruise around in, and i like the Z 10 times better.
btw: dont be afraid to rip it up on the test drive... the salesman wont say anything. if he does, tell him this is what needs to happen if he wants to sell you that car. hell shut up pretty quickly. have fun.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:42 AM
greekguy824

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He was driving a Track and complaining of a rough ride. I didn't really understand that. Not to mention, he sang high praises of the RX-8 which says a lot.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Alang35

topgear isnt a car show.. its just for entertainment purposes. i rarely agree with clarksons opinion of cars.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:16 PM
SniperHunter

Exactly. Clarkson is the biggest joke in automotive journalism. He liked the looks of the Crossfire over the Z and TT...not even Americans think that terrible Chrysler is worth a damn.

Additionally, Clarkson praised the Crossfire for being quieter and softer. Really? I could've sworn "sports cars" were supposed to be quite the opposite. He's an old fool, and that's the bottomline. All of his reviews, if you've ever noticed, follow the same format: "omg this car is great great great...BUT, suck suck suck. This = Rubbish."
Old 07-19-2008, 03:23 PM
PikesTourZ

TG is much more entertaining than FG but JC often is wrong about his statements.
In the original TG 350Z review he said, the VQ engine is French derived!!
Old 07-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Chad68

Reviews don't mean much of **** anyway, unless you have never even seen the car in person but still don't mean squat. Just because some review guy loves or hates a particular car, doesn't mean you will feel the same about the car.

Test drive one for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

I never test drove one. Didn't care how it drove, sounded, shifted, since it wasn't going to be stock for long. Even if I kept it mostly or totally stock (God forbid) I still didn't care how it drove or how much noise it makes.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:41 PM
gregom

Clarkson is incredibly picky... but it is entertaining to listen to him complain about everything. I think thats half the show really, is him complaining.

Anyway I think the Z is a great all-rounder sports car. Where a lot of other cars may score high in some sections they do poorly in others. The Z levels fairly high all-around I think.

It all really depends on what you want in a car, the Z is not the perfect sports car for everyone.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:56 PM
jrhykushi

hey guys, im new to this forum..

anyways, how is the Z as a daily driver?
Hows it ride in snow? :x
I'm looking into coupes, and the few that come up are G35, 350z, and the S197 Mustang (don't bash.. i know alot of people with imports HATE american cars xD).

anyways, they all have their ups and downs:
350z looks great, performs great, but has 2 seats and the back side could be better
G35 looks pretty good, and has 2 seats, but just doesn't seem as aggressive as the other two
the Mustang pulls great, relatively cheap if used, because of high gas prices, and poor economy, but i'm starting to grow a little bored of the looks

thanks for your help, guys!
Old 07-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Chad68

Originally Posted by jrhykushi
hey guys, im new to this forum..

anyways, how is the Z as a daily driver?
Hows it ride in snow? :x
I'm looking into coupes, and the few that come up are G35, 350z, and the S197 Mustang (don't bash.. i know alot of people with imports HATE american cars xD).

anyways, they all have their ups and downs:
350z looks great, performs great, but has 2 seats and the back side could be better
G35 looks pretty good, and has 2 seats, but just doesn't seem as aggressive as the other two
the Mustang pulls great, relatively cheap if used, because of high gas prices, and poor economy, but i'm starting to grow a little bored of the looks

thanks for your help, guys!
Your first post fails on so many levels.
Thread should be closed soon anyway.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:24 PM
norapat01

I think Top Gear is a good car show. We can't really be disappointing at Jeremy for not liking the 350Z though....he doesn't like a lot of cars. He doesn't really like M3, so I'm not surprise that he doesn't like 350Z. However, he do like the 240Z which is a good thing I think....

Richard Hammond on the other hand kind of like 350Z
Old 07-19-2008, 09:14 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by Willey
The guy that did the review was REALLY ******* the car !bad! I was ready to sign papers lol - then I saw that and was like UH-OH! - better do some more research .... What about the "work-out" factor driving it in town? The guy says it was the worst he'd ever driven??? Many opinions appreciated!
WTF, newb! Don't freakin' ask our opinions -- we already own a Z so what the **** do you think we're gonna say! Go freakin' drive the car some more and decide for yourself! You're old enough to make a mature decision, correct? Don't decide based on a TV show that you just watched, for crying out loud! Have some ***** and make the decision yourself.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:16 PM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

i don't think road noise, ride comfort, etc is bad at all in the Z. even after an aftermarket exhaust and springs, no complaints. it's a sports car........not a luxury car.

jim
Old 07-19-2008, 09:48 PM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
What do you mean 'what do I mean'? There's a show called Fifth Gear that actually does proper reviews of cars. They reviewed the 03 and 07 350Z. Go to Youtube and see for yourself.

Here:

http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...rch_type=&aq=f
dude, while i have to agree that Top Gear's Jeremy is a bit of a tool when he speaks of the Z, that 5th Gear crap looks like a half baked show with a WOMAN doing the car tests............come on.......

jim
Old 07-19-2008, 10:48 PM
chazz0812

Yes, my 08 coupe rides firm, but it's a sports car. I like the ride. As far as noise - mine is too quite. I have driven a few sports cars that reviewers claimed had a "rough ride". They just need to put on their big boy pants and man up!
The other day, I dropped off the highway in front of one of those VW - whatever they are's with the "big V6? The driver made hand geastures indicating he was frustrated with my speed. After figuring out the appropriate gear, the raod smoothed out, and I gave her a little gas while turning a corner. Mr VW was ten car lengths behind when I slowed down. Guess those nose heavy V-dubs don't corner so well...
Old 07-19-2008, 11:13 PM
GHOST1207

do what I did and test drive one yourself, different people have different opinions.

Personally I love the Z overall, in terms of power and ride quality. Only thing I had to complain about was that it wasn't mine, yet.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:33 AM
keithhofmann

Originally Posted by sean10mm
You've got to understand that the Top Gear TV show doesn't really do serious car reviews. It's a 90% comedy show with 3 grumpy middle-aged English guys being smartasses and blowing up old Rovers and making celebrities race economy cars. It's fun, but not something you base serious buying decisions on.

Also, the negative review was of a pre-production 350Z that was kind of buggy. They eventually made it Car of the Year.

EDIT: This is the latest Top Gear review of the Z: http://www.topgear.com/drives/D0/F2/...sts/08/01.html
So true, but that show is really funny. I mean where else can you see three guys make amphibeous cars and attempt to cross the english channel lol. Or drive from florida to new orleans in cars they got for under 800 dollars. Its not an authority on cars so much but i still love it
Old 07-20-2008, 01:09 PM
gregom

Originally Posted by illjim69
dude, while i have to agree that Top Gear's Jeremy is a bit of a tool when he speaks of the Z, that 5th Gear crap looks like a half baked show with a WOMAN doing the car tests............come on.......

jim
She's more of a woman than you are a man! Yeah... lol j/k

Seriously though she likes to drift around corners, and we all know thats fun to do, so whats your problem with her?

Granted Fifth Gear is a bit more cut & dry, down to the technicalities type of show where Top Gear is just, filth... frankly, but thats why we enjoy it. And sometimes we need a dose of entertainment, and sometimes we need a dose of realism. They are both good shows and both have a proper place in the world. And they've both made crappy episodes too so in the end, the world is still spinning around in the same old boring circle it was millions of years ago.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:47 PM
bloodwings19

I just switched to my friend's barely used tires and I couldn't believe how low the road noise was. I was talking to my friend on the cell, he could hear me talk clearly and hear me shifting gears. When my Z reached to 50mph, the engine noise becomes more prevalent and the road noise, but not too annoying. Overall today, I am happy to know that almost 4 year old Z is still a joy to drive especially with new rubbers. Too bad during the week, my Z will be sleeping for a while.

Quick Reply: I saw a review on Top Gear Re: the 350z - is "this..." true?