Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Fifth Gear: Latest Nissan 350Z vs Latest Mazda RX-8 (August 18th, 2008)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice video. I like the RX8, but it needs more power.

It'd be interesting if they tested the Z against an EVO X or a STI.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:05 AM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes again we are seeing this comparison. I personlly took the seat of my a$$ test before purchasing my 3rd Z car. While I like many of the things about the RX8 some things were just enough to steer my to another Z car.

4 seater
1st gear is soo very tiny, you just end up shifting almost instantly
the engine lacks a torque feeling
the prices were about the same for enthusiast and the RX6 in 05

nice car don't get me wrong, just a sweeter ride and more power with the Z.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:42 AM
KManZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ish06FairladyZ
Thank you for this!

Everyone who is asking:

BHP (brake horse power) - the power an engine produces without power robbing components like transmission, water pump, gear box etc.

SAE (our horse power rating) - the power an engine produces at the flywheel, including all power robbing components.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:48 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool Vid, thanks for sharing way to start my morning. Now I cant wait to go on lunch to go hit some twisties. LOL
Old 08-21-2008, 04:58 AM
jray8

I love my Z and apparently so does everyone else in traffic anytime i go anywhere
Old 08-21-2008, 07:16 AM
singh

My brother has an 05 RX8, and I dislike it. It sounds like crap and it looks robo-cop. The only thing I like is the light steering wheel, which makes it fun to drive. Other than that, I don't want to be seen driving that thing.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:29 AM
WhiteNoiz

Originally Posted by Faboo
who said anything about a v6/v8?????

2.3L turbo 4 from the mazdaspeed3. 270hp/280trq
His point is that if they put a bigger motor in the Mazdas, they would be heavier
Old 08-21-2008, 09:53 AM
RedLine 350z

Originally Posted by Silver_Z33
I thought the mazdaspeed3 was 263hp? Either way, i heard those cars are pretty quick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDyl6s9UYPQi dont know if the Z wasnt really getting on the gas or that car keeps up with the Z, it doesnt say if the mazda is stock but i figured i'd throw it up here. not gonna lie it kinda makes me sick lol
I have an stock 03 Z. My brother has a stock 06 MSP3. We were both neck to neck except the gearing of my car would last longer than his. He would shift before his redline then I would shift about .5 sec after him. When he shifts, his car would be a 1/4 car length behind mine due to mine still in gear.

For those that are against street racing, it's at a track for your piece of mind.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Silver_Z33

Originally Posted by RedLine 350z
I have an stock 03 Z. My brother has a stock 06 MSP3. We were both neck to neck except the gearing of my car would last longer than his. He would shift before his redline then I would shift about .5 sec after him. When he shifts, his car would be a 1/4 car length behind mine due to mine still in gear.

For those that are against street racing, it's at a track for your piece of mind.
Wow, thats a pretty quick car then. You can probably make it alot quicker too with not much money bc of the turbo i heard the stock internals for those car can hold pretty high boost too.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:57 PM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by RedLine 350z
GAWD DAMN STREET RACERS!!!

j/k.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:28 PM
YOGURT!

Originally Posted by h2kSPiG
If Mazda was smart they would take their best engine, 2.3L turbo, and put it in their "best" sports car, the RX-8. That would be a much more reliable and all around better car.

The Z was meant to the a cheap "jack of all trades". Handle pretty well, have good power, still be reasonably functional for what it is, but isn't excellent in any one category. Most other cars anywhere near the price range lack one thing or another completely.

The RX-8 may have better utility with its back seat and fold door things, but the engine is not nearly as powerful or reliable as it needs to be. It is just different in its design.
awesome quote.. The "jack of all trades" is what I tell everyone that asks me about the Z.. it does everything well, but nothing perfect.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 PM
gregom

Originally Posted by KManZ
Thank you for this!

Everyone who is asking:

BHP (brake horse power) - the power an engine produces without power robbing components like transmission, water pump, gear box etc.

SAE (our horse power rating) - the power an engine produces at the flywheel, including all power robbing components.
Water pump?

Originally Posted by YOGURT!
awesome quote.. The "jack of all trades" is what I tell everyone that asks me about the Z.. it does everything well, but nothing perfect.
Yeah h2kSPiG is right on if you ask me... That's one of the reasons I went with the Z too, its just such a good all-rounder. Lots of cars are really great in some areas and poor in others, where the Z is just good all around. In fact i'm struggling to think of anything about the Z that needs improvement... I suppose it would be nice if it didn't weigh as much, and the interior fit and finish quality could be improved. But these aren't big issues...

Last edited by gregom; 08-21-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:52 AM
xxRayzor

yea i agree. the the only thing people can use against z's when comparing to a s2k or rx8 is its weight.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 AM
RX8Guy

That would kill the dynamics of the car, the Rotaries big advantage is packaging and weight. The engine it self is about the size of a bowling ball bag and weighs about 60% that of a 4 cylinder and 40% of a 6. This allows a mid engine design and low, lightweight.

Mazda does need to kick up the HP the X16 is said to be around 270 to 280 hp but this is not fact.

It is interesting that the RX only lost by a second while giving 81 hp to the Z. Says a lot for the RX's superior dynamics and handling.

Originally Posted by h2kSPiG
If Mazda was smart they would take their best engine, 2.3L turbo, and put it in their "best" sports car, the RX-8. That would be a much more reliable and all around better car.

The Z was meant to the a cheap "jack of all trades". Handle pretty well, have good power, still be reasonably functional for what it is, but isn't excellent in any one category. Most other cars anywhere near the price range lack one thing or another completely.

The RX-8 may have better utility with its back seat and fold door things, but the engine is not nearly as powerful or reliable as it needs to be. It is just different in its design.