Sponsored by:

Dealer Warranty on Turboed 2006 350z

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:36 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YOGURT!
take the turbo off, and bring the car in.... walah.. no more mods! fix it BITCHES!
I imagine the cost of removing the turbo far exceed the cost of a fixing a tranny seal.. Am I off base on this one?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:41 AM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just take it to a transmission shop if you can't do the seal swap yourself. (not familiar with the method its inserted on this particular transmission), but I'd assume its just pressed in from the outside...which if that's the case its an easy swap.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Don’t see why your claim is rejected. Do you have the OEM cutch and flywheel? How does a power adder adversely effect the transmission?
More power can cause more stress to the transmission and drivetrain.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:16 PM
greyson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nissan informed the dealer that the whole drive-train is excluded from the covered warranty work due to the turbo. While I can understand Nissan, I can't find anything out there that states their position in a document that any of one us 350z owners has access to prior to buying the 350z describing valid claims for voiding the warranty. Has anyone out there with a turbo expereinced this same problem? Has anyone had a more favorable outcome?
Old 08-22-2008, 07:37 PM
HondaKiller
Banned

that rear main seal is a ***** to do, but can be done, better buy some tools.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:36 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lawrence_9541
**** that doesnt matter either...i had a short circuit in my car wiring a year after i changed out the radio...they had no proof what caused the problem which they stated on the paperwork. but it got rejected on warranty caused i changed the radio out..they said it was my fault

That's nice to know. Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about your problem.

Keep in mind that your 1 isolated incident does not dictate all other outcomes in totally unrelated situations. The OP is probably not going to have his problem fixed under the warranty, and if he does, it will be an uphill battle.

On the other hand, I had my Z warrantied with Cams, intake, exhaust, spacer, cats, and a few other mods. The dealer didn't want to touch it, but as someone else pointed out, you can have a Nissan tech come look at the car and determine if your mods caused the damage. In my case (and certainly not in every case will this happen, but it's possible), they decided to replace my blown engine under warranty at no cost to me.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:43 PM
ErinFaulk

they wouldnt fix my rear axle clicking issue and said it was my aftermarket brake pads making the noise. I went down the highway to another nissan dealer and they fixed it under warranty no questions asked.

You can try another dealer, but since it is such a big mod, they probably will still deny you.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:52 PM
VQZ33_Jake

take the turbo off and reset the ECU.

technically (or what ive heard) they have to proove that the modification caused the problem.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:01 AM
Ziggyrama

Are you guys serious? OP put an FI system on an NA car and you guys are arguing that he should get warranty coverage on the drivetrain? That's crazy. It will never happen and we all know that if you take it to Nissan, they will uphold the ruling. Technically speaking, perhaps they do have to prove it, but in reality, they'll stall and say no until you give up and rightfully so. Sorry, you turboed the car and did other work to it involving the drivetrain. Nissan would be crazy for redoing your tranny. Most often than not, theory and practice don't always see eye to eye.

People say going FI is expensive. Add cost of upkeep to that list. Good luck with the repair. BTW, taking a turbo off the car and limping in is not a quick job. The mechanical work involved and the ECU reflashing would make it more expensive than repairing the seal. And not like you can just 'unplug' the turbo and make it look like everything was still original. Think about the plumbing and how you'd solve the problem of a big, gaping hole in the exhaust where the snail used to be and try to explain to the dealer that the car 'was like that when you bought it'. I mean, seriously....
Old 08-25-2008, 09:05 AM
VQZ33_Jake

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
Are you guys serious? OP put an FI system on an NA car and you guys are arguing that he should get warranty coverage on the drivetrain? That's crazy. It will never happen and we all know that if you take it to Nissan, they will uphold the ruling. .
maybe you didn't read the other posts? we're simply giveing him options on how to get the warranty coverage, whether he should get it or not isn't the question... and even if the FI kit caused the issue, which im pretty sure it didnt, who cares? people need to *** over stealerships, becasue they *** over other people every day.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Ziggyrama

Originally Posted by VQZ33_Jake
maybe you didn't read the other posts? we're simply giveing him options on how to get the warranty coverage, whether he should get it or not isn't the question... and even if the FI kit caused the issue, which im pretty sure it didnt, who cares? people need to *** over stealerships, becasue they *** over other people every day.
Interesting point. I actually read all the posts I think I failed to drive my main point across:

It's a complete waste of time to try and get warranty coverage on a turboed car that was NA from factory for reasons I stated above. Set your expectations accordingly if you try.

It's OP's time to waste, I suppose. IMHO, it's also probably dishonest to perform this type of modifications and then try to get Nissan to foot the bill. I am by no means a Nissan-huger as I've received by share of ******** pie from dealerships but I wouldn't go as far as this. I said probably because if the mods are not responsible, then you have every right....however the OP is probably not certain and chances are the stress was related to the premature failure (my gut feeling). Basically it is wrong unless you're absolutely certain that that had nothing to do with the issue. I value my time almost above all other things so I was just passing helpful advice. Good luck with the endeavor. Let us know how it works out.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Dr. Venture

sometimes the questions some people ask are hilarious. This question is so rhetorical that i think it shouldn't take 32 posts after it to give you the answer.

Common sense should of told you that any damage to an engine with a known high power mod will be voided. They over look simple things like AIS's. But a Turbo....coooooooome on...were you serious with this?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama

It's a complete waste of time to try and get warranty coverage on a turboed car that was NA from factory for reasons I stated above. Set your expectations accordingly if you try.
Not quite true. I'm sure you realize this, but just for the point of being obvious for those that need it, you do still have some warranty coverage. For example, if you start to get tire feathering, or maybe your paint is peeling, or your window motor breaks, you can still get warranty coverage on that kind of thing with a turboed car. However, as has been pointed out, anything directly or indirectly related to the powertrain, is going to be denied.

I blew my transmission on my TT'ed G35, and had to get a new one. I knew the dealer was going to deny warranty, although I did ask anyways (you never know what might happen). Of course, they denied warranty, but they did fix it (at my cost), which I was completely was expecting. Now, since my winodw motor is starting to go bad, I need to take it in soon, and I fully expect it to be covered under warranty. And if my window motor warranty is denied because I have a turbo'ed G35, then, we have problems.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:29 PM
carfi179

I have a TN kit and during my installation I noticed that #6 plug has traces of oil. Make a long story short I took it to West Covina Nissan after the turbo was installed and they fix it under the warranty and replaced the valve cover gasket. They charged me only $100 because they had to remove some of the intake pipes which is fair enough to me.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Blu_Blur

Originally Posted by CEO350Z
take off the turbo

Are you joking?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Blu_Blur

Originally Posted by iStan
I imagine the cost of removing the turbo far exceed the cost of a fixing a tranny seal.. Am I off base on this one?

Cost me $1,700 to remove my turbo and have the car detuned.

Anyone seriously suggesting the removal of a turbo for a leak of any kind or mechnical work short of a new turbo system being applied or engine block surgery is a moron.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:37 AM
350Z_GTS

aftermarket parts are awesome until you have to take them off to fix car under warrenty. I have had the engine swaped, rear main seal leak like you. have you had your tach start to bounce, cause thats next lol. they will tell you it is the flux from back pressure from turbo, intake and exhaust. Most mods arently good to do until the car has no warrenty cause local shops will fix anythign for a price
Old 08-26-2008, 04:42 AM
Dr. Venture

jesus man i charged the guy up the street from me $400 to remove and fix his tranny and while it was down i changed the rear main seal According to my Shop Key it should take 3.9 hours, when in fact was a lot quicker then that...just take the damn car to a regular well known not going to rip you off shop and have it done. Whats with all of you HAVING to go to the damn dealer's???

Its not that damn hard to remove a tranny from a Z or a G...i didn't even have to remove his Injen exhaust either. Came right down wam bam thank you mam!!

SO ITS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE!!!!! IF your worried about the warranty to save some dough, im sure you've got it since the turbo was a lot more expensive in the 1st place to do.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:18 AM
raulzito

Do an engine and tranny swap, then take it in to the dealership, lol
Old 08-26-2008, 11:41 AM
xNeo

I thought they had to prove that the mod caused the failure, they can't just "say" it did. At least that's my understanding, that's how a friend of mine explained it. He actually blew a piston rod in his SCed G35 and the Dealership voided is warranty without looking at the car, he's currently suing them because they had no proof.

Quick Reply: Dealer Warranty on Turboed 2006 350z