Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

switch to a convertible???

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:12 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my ZR. I never considered a hardtop, I was only shopping for a vert. The summer's here suck during the day, but I love the Spring, Winter, Fall, and Summer Nights. The wind noise was not an issue because I was expecting that with looking for a vert.

My only complaint is trying to find a manual. 4 Months of searching and I couldn't find what I wanted, so I settled with exactly what I was looking for (PPW, Frost, Navy Blue, Touring) and a 5AT. Still no complaints. If you want a toy, the Coupe would probably be better. But if you want a fanastic DD Touring car, the ZR is great.

I'm also lowly boosted, so that adds to the fun factor.

Most inspiring ZRs I can think of: R0mey, BamBam, and the Green one from Forged, I can't remember the owner's SN.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:00 PM
350z Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go drive a convertible Z and see if you like it or not its really base on your preferences

i would go for a convertible Z if i had the money to switch... looks fun to drive
Old 09-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Lento

You may want to go test drive an S2K. Even though they are under powered compared to the Z they are really fun to drive and cheeper as well, considering you may just want it as a summer toy. When I drove it I felt like it has less body roll than my Nismo, and it was engineered for one purpose - to be a convertable. Plus the clutch is rediuclously easy compared to the Z so even in traffic it's not a big deal.

I really think for what it is, it's one of the best cars out there.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Lento
You may want to go test drive an S2K. Even though they are under powered compared to the Z they are really fun to drive and cheeper as well, considering you may just want it as a summer toy. When I drove it I felt like it has less body roll than my Nismo, and it was engineered for one purpose - to be a convertable. Plus the clutch is rediuclously easy compared to the Z so even in traffic it's not a big deal.

I can't even fit into the thing.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Lento

Lol I guess that could be an issue.

My dad and I had the same problem we are both about 6 feet, and I have to say that car feels like you are stuffing yourself into a cardboard box the first time you get into it. It takes about a day or 2 of driving it to get used to. + the steering wheel seems very low and doesnt adjust. Feels normal after a while though.

The S2K really makes the Z seem massive, but there is more trunk space with the top down in the S2K! Weird.....
Old 09-16-2008, 02:32 PM
lay zzz

yeah s2k steering wheel is to low..i dont want to go to a honda unless...and its a big maybe , nsx.I started looking online but i have to see what i can get for my ppw. its a 6spd grand touring with navi..60k miles...what do you think i can get..i dont owe much
Old 09-16-2008, 02:37 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is a big difference in the s2000 convertible and the 350z convertible. The s2000 is a bit more raw feeling. It's loud with the top down, it's loud with the top up, ride is harsh, etc. The 350z has that touring car feelilng, very smooth, very quiet, very luxury feeling and has good torque for a convertible.

Those were my two choices when getting the convertible.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:38 PM
lay zzz

i also would love to do a new nismo style convertible....im getting excited. really to blame for all this envy
Old 09-16-2008, 02:53 PM
lay zzz

is the maxxis drift convertible
Old 09-16-2008, 03:32 PM
gregom

Originally Posted by Lento

You can adjust the clutch engagement point on the Z and that will fix that issue completely...

I test drove an S2K for a couple hours and it is a good car... but I also felt very cramped in the cabin, and i'm a skinny dude, 6' at 150 lbs but it depends on the length of your legs/torso/arms that determine if its comfortable or not.

The S2K, as far as lack of torque as actually one of the better feeling 4 cyls out there. I've drive the Saturn Sky (NA and turbo versions) and the 08 Evo (5sp manual and 6sp paddleshift) and except for the Evo MT they all felt very, very sluggish off the line. The S2K may not have a lot of torque but it still picks up and goes fairly well.

Also another plus on the S2K is how fast the roof goes up/down, its like 6 seconds or so! Great for a quick run to the store.

Personally though I hate the sound of the S2K engine, just don't like it... I am in love with the Z's exhaust tone so i'm even more bias now.

But the ZR is one hell of a great car and as long as you can drive it with the top down most of the time, its definately worth it!

I'm considering going to a coupe Z, mainly because i'm tired of dealing with the noise of traffic during my hour trip to and from work. And you can't drive a convertible on a nice day with the top up, thats just wrong.... too bad your in FL I might trade ya... I want a PPW Z in 6 speed, don't care too much about miles. But mine is an auto. However I must confess the auto has so much more torque... torque converters are great for that.

GL on your decision...

BTW here is a bunch of pics of my ZR... only mod is wheels.
http://www.shared.megabytemike.com/Z-Drift/
Old 09-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Mymmz

I started off with a 350 coupe and changed to the vert after a year. The last few cars I've owned were convertables and I just love driving with the top down, don't regret changing to it at all.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:30 PM
iStan
ZR

Originally Posted by gregom
But mine is an auto.
PPW, Frost, Navy Blue, 5AT? hehe. Same car here.

R0mey is the only one I have seen with the same stats and a 6MT
Old 09-16-2008, 08:30 PM
lay zzz

beautiful vert gregone..im not worried about the sound..i drive usually with the ipod plugged in and jammin..i have decided that in january ill go in ..i want time to get some money together and get my parts off.does anybody know if the have headrest speakers like the s2k does?? being it convertible?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:37 PM
lay zzz

now i want to sell it and go top down
Old 09-16-2008, 11:04 PM
iStan
ZR

Originally Posted by lay zzz
anybody know if the have headrest speakers like the s2k does?? being it convertible?
Same audio as the coupe. Two Tweets, Two Door, Two Rears
Old 09-16-2008, 11:51 PM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
i own both a 350z convertible and a hard top. I will tell you the pros and cons. Note, that my convertible is an automatic transmission so my GF can drive it as well and plus it's my daily driver and i didn't want a manual in traffic.

Hard top pros:

Looks good all the time, roomier, with the windows down it is A LOT quieter than the convertible, is cooler in the summer

Hard top cons : not much really, lol.

Convertible pros:

Quieter interior, looks great with the top down, very very quiet with the top down and i've driven a lot of convertibles, nice automatic top with a hardtop cover,

Convertible cons: Loud wind noise with the windows down since there is a vertical wall behind you instead of air going to the hatch like the hard top, looks not so good with the top up, heat goes into the interior since of the thin top,
^ +1

and i used to drive hardtop and i bought a ZR and i dont think i will never ever go back to coupe or hardtop. maybe cause of GA weather is pretty good in the 4 season.. hope you get a ZR too =)

only thing that i dont like about a ZR is NO SPACE! other than that i love my ZR to death.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:35 PM
lay zzz

so you thing setting postion is really different from the coupe?? i know the trunk lacks alot, but thas why we all date girls with girly cars..lmao
Old 09-17-2008, 09:11 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I went from an 05 coupe base to an 06 touring roadster. I have never regretted the upgrade!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:16 AM
xtremefairladyz

I personally don't like convertibles. The cabin is usually really loud on the freeways because of the soft-top. Also I think the Z looks ugly with the top on BUT absolutely gorgeous with the top down. If you live in an area with a lot of rain... stay with the coupe. But if you are in like sunny California, by all means get the convertible and coast down PCH!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:27 AM
lay zzz

lol..i was in my coupe the other night and this guy drove up on me with his girl with the top down and looked so happy haha..yeah i want to jump on that asap..i wonder if my z would sit lower with he vert being its heavier

Quick Reply: switch to a convertible???