Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Whats the difference in engine/transmission on the base model and the enthusiast etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 11:49 AM
LeoA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the difference in engine/transmission on the base model and the enthusiast etc.

whats the difference with this. I want a z so so so so so so badly. I kid you not ...i dream about driving one. Anyways I have about four grand and I have a 99 Civic Si that is almost paid for. The DP is not enought about 8 grand would do . Anyways I was thinking of just getting the base model with no options. But my friend told me he regrets getting the base model because some kinda lsd or something like that. is there anyway that you could add the performace and tranny options on a track z to a base z. Thank you for your help. I tried searching but I came out empty. Thank you again.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:52 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, all engines and transmissions are the same. With the base you lose LSD, Traction Control, cruise, HID lights, and aluminum peddles.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:58 AM
LeoA

Default ?

so theres no way you could add a tcs or vdc to a base z?
Old 08-08-2003, 11:59 AM
imntcrzy

i don't believe that is a factory option
Old 08-08-2003, 12:03 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Default Re: ?

Originally posted by LeoA
so theres no way you could add a tcs or vdc to a base z?
Ya gotta upgrade from the Base for those options.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:08 PM
LeoA

enthusiast here I come...wish me luck guys
Old 08-08-2003, 12:11 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

enthusiast here I come...wish me luck guys
Good luck! Your life will change very soon....
Old 08-08-2003, 01:33 PM
jnifong

yep i was in the same boat of which to get. i was going to get the base as well due to it being the lightest and a bit cheaper...but i went with the enthuiast instead 'cause i wanted the limited slip. glad i did now. even with the aero kit it was still under $30K. I'm happy.

jon
Old 08-08-2003, 01:34 PM
LeoA

I just want a Z even a automatic as long as I pimp a Z.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:08 PM
SlamMan

I just want a Z even a automatic as long as I pimp a Z.
Automatic = Lame
Old 08-08-2003, 04:52 PM
ttheisen93

I chose the base since it gave me all the "go fast" options I wanted, with the exception of LSD. For the base price, I can upgrade to FI and LSD, which I really want, and still be at or just under the $32K range of the Touring. Also, in retrospect, although I originally wanted VDC and Traction Control, my very unscientific survey of the boards shows a lot of people with those options doing accidental donuts on bad and good surfaces, but the people without seem to be more reliably "in control" using their grey matter to do the VDC and Traction Control.

My $.02 for my particular tastes.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:26 PM
trash259

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my .02 cents....

you can add better (aftermarket): LSD, Traction Control, cruise, HID lights, and aluminum peddles if you went w/ the base.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:15 PM
KhanMan

what does the touring model have? Why dont you get performance?
Old 08-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Buub

Originally posted by ttheisen93
Also, in retrospect, although I originally wanted VDC and Traction Control, my very unscientific survey of the boards shows a lot of people with those options doing accidental donuts on bad and good surfaces, but the people without seem to be more reliably "in control" using their grey matter to do the VDC and Traction Control.

My $.02 for my particular tastes.
Not sure where you read that. I haven't seen that posted anywhere.

I turn my VDC off when I'm driving around, the roads are dry, and I'm having some fun. Especially at the track. But when the weather gets wet I leave it on all the time. It works well.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:47 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by trash259
my .02 cents....

you can add better (aftermarket): LSD, Traction Control, cruise, HID lights, and aluminum peddles if you went w/ the base.
you can add LSD, and it would be better, its about 1000$, install would likely be a few hundred(200?) you can also add HID, but your best bet is a stock addon, not aftermarket...

you can also put in aluminum peddles.

however you cannot add traction control, cruise control would be difficult because its drive by wire so add on cruis controls would not work(unless they have drive by wire addons now). you also cant easily add homelink or vanity mirrors; you can do a swap again but parts from the dealer are pricey. in the end youd be well over the cost of enthusiast over base.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:58 AM
tbcz

Originally posted by ttheisen93
Also, in retrospect, although I originally wanted VDC and Traction Control, my very unscientific survey of the boards shows a lot of people with those options doing accidental donuts on bad and good surfaces, but the people without seem to be more reliably "in control" using their grey matter to do the VDC and Traction Control.
I have never heard of this, and highly doubt that this would happen. To the contrary, you are about 100 times more likely to do an accidental donut if you don't have VDC or traction control. I'm not advocating their purchase, but 99% of the time you are better off with them. The times when they are a disadvantage: drag racing, track racing, when you wish to do burnouts and donuts, and sometimes if you're stuck in snow. But in all of these situations you merely push a button to deactivate it.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:16 AM
haanz

Not trying to start more confusion here, but here is my opinion.

I had the G35 sedan with all the LSDs and VDCs. In my opinion it was always too eager to come on, and then I ended up feeling less safe. And in the snow it did nothing to help me! When I got the Z I opted for the Base without these options, and so far it is better in the rain, and I will use my Xterra in the winter. My .02
Old 08-10-2003, 06:11 AM
FrankieZZ

Bought the base , didn't want traction control , and wanted a better LSD than the Viscous on the Z ( it's poor ). Will shortly replace the Viscous with a Mechanical .Take the extra $$$$$$ and do what you want . I'm perfectly satisfied with the base model . Glad I went with my instinct on this car ( a Silverstone preorderer , November 2002 ) .

FrankieZZ

PS Have the traction control on my 330i because it's used in these New England winters and it does help .
Old 08-10-2003, 04:57 PM
ttheisen93

Last winter there were several threads posted with (VDC) guys complaining that they had been doing some pretty non-aggressive driving on wet or snowy pavement and had ended up doing donuts without any indication that they were getting near a limit. I posted then that with my base I had driven on snowy and wet roads, and hadn't had any problems like that, and there seemed to be a general concensus in reply posts among the base owners that the car actually drove not hideously on slick surfaces, versus a lot of traction control guys feeling like the car was pretty squirrely and unpredictable on slick roads. Feel free to disagree, but that was the impression I got from asking.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:43 PM
VQ35DES

Base Model with NISMO LSD, yum...