Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-bay...No way says NISSAN

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 06:42 AM
ZZtopp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-bay...No way says NISSAN

I talked with my dealer today, and he told me that Nissan will soon be issuing a dictum that will not allow anyone to sell their pre-order spot to another party. In other words, those e-bay auctions will not be valid. If you don't want your spot, the car has to go back to the dealer's next buyer, not yours.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:48 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is something that Nissan should have addressed months ago.... the fact is that most dealerships didn't know the terms of their sale, and will likely lose in court. Nissan never finalized a contract form for our preorders, so anything is game...

NOTE: Nissan never made an official date on their statement, so anybody that is a tort attorney, please input here...

Last edited by John; 08-22-2002 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:32 AM
ZZtopp

Nissan's statement is actually different from what my dealer told me. He said Nissan would not allow it. Now it sounds like Nissan is saying it's up to the dealer. Maybe no one wants to be the bad guy.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:45 AM
ToddLuc

Default Re: E-bay...No way says NISSAN

Originally posted by ZZtopp
I talked with my dealer today, and he told me that Nissan will soon be issuing a dictum that will not allow anyone to sell their pre-order spot to another party. In other words, those e-bay auctions will not be valid. If you don't want your spot, the car has to go back to the dealer's next buyer, not yours.
That's actually impressive on Nissan's part. This should stop people from buying/selling pre-orders for profit. Much the same practice as someone buying concert tickets and then selling them to the highest bidder.

Good job Nissan!
Old 08-22-2002, 07:45 AM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

My dealer told me two weeks that he didn't care who he sold my Z to....well, this morning the story had changed.

This GM/Owner told me Nissan was pressuring all dealers to only honor the original sales agreement and not to accept any substitutions.

Addition: Does anyone find it ironic Nissan is using the same forum (ebay) to sell VIN 000001?

Last edited by pointfivezero; 08-22-2002 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:11 AM
baseg35

No, because Nissan owns that car. Those looking for a profit with their refundable deposits are welcome to purchase their car and then put it up for sale on ebay.

There is a growing number of people that put deposits down on cars in california with the sole intention of selling their "spot" 350Z, S2000 when new, Mini, G35 coupe, any hot new model that can be pre-ordered.
Old 08-22-2002, 04:53 PM
AdamLotz (Z FIEND)

Well, just my $0.02. My dealer *originally* told me that if I didn't want it, they wanted the car back... b/c I really do have a couple friends on the fence who have since decided that they'd take my car if (when) I back out.

However, the dealer also said "But.. if you BUY the car... you can do whatever you want with it." So, I could sell it "used" with 0 miles on it - just that any profit I would make would have to take the sales tax I'll pay into consideration. (which is about $3k)

Or, put more simply, any one of my friends can have my car - but they'd have to pay double sales tax on it.
Old 08-22-2002, 05:02 PM
2003z

Default the way I read it

Nissan is warning prospective bidders to check with the dealer first to see if they will honor the sale, not forbidding anyone to sell their spot.
Old 08-22-2002, 05:22 PM
Z CRAZY
Charter Member #67

If you buy the car first and then sell it for a profit there is no issue. Theoretically, you would buy the car and not drive it. Then advertise in the local paper, and you will probably find someone who will buy it at a higher price.

The downsides are:

1) You have to pay tax on the purchase. You will have to get enough over the sticker to make up for that. This will kinda cut into your profit.

2) The car will be titled in your name so when you sell it the buyer will be a "second" owner, even if the car has only 10-15 miles on it.

There are probably more negatives but with the right buyer, who knows.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:09 PM
keepupp

Actually, in most states you dont necessarily have to pay sales tax on the purchase. What the buyer can do is purchase the car and not title it. In the state of Ohio the buyer only has to pay for price of the car...then pays for the tax when it is to be titled. For example, if I wanted to sell my pre -order (which I would not do) I would buy the car..put it in the garage , and advertise it. I wouldnt have to pay the tax....unless I want it titled. The benefit of doing this is that you can still sell the car as new instead of a titled "used" car.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:42 PM
gibbsy1
Charter Member #33

Originally posted by Hedonist
This is something that Nissan should have addressed months ago.... the fact is that most dealerships didn't know the terms of their sale, and will likely lose in court. Nissan never finalized a contract form for our preorders, so anything is game...
My pre-release order form has the following wording at the bottom above the signatures:

"The Buyer and Seller as signed below, have agreed to the above pre-release 350Z order, options and pricing. Buyer and Seller understand that the pricing and equipment are subject to change by NISSAN NORTH AMERICA."

Sounds to me like the pre-order is an agreement between the orderer and the dealer. If push came to shove, I think the person who sold his/her spot and the person that bought it would be SOL, if the dealership didn't want to honor the transfer of the preorder.

But, I'm not an attorney, so I could be wrong.

Dave