Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

anyone ride with kid in the z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:13 AM
350Catfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with RN7676. Drive safe? Drive extra careful? Don't drive like a lunatic? Drive safe all you want, but the guy next to you with 4 spare tires on because he can't afford new ones, the guy driving home drunk or tired? Trust them all you want, but at the end of the day, its you making the call to put your kid at risk. Good luck with that and roll the dice. Hope the only thing you lose is your car.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:19 AM
RN7676

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yad +2
Old 10-21-2008, 12:06 PM
RN7676

It is not plagiarism if you credit the source. ... ie, "From the owners manual:"

Here is some additional decent information for those that have a legitimate interest in this thread.

http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site/...002fd17898RCRD

http://www.safercar.gov/airbags/Brochure/index.html

From the above link: Children ages 1 to 12. Children in this age group can be transported safely in the front seat if they are properly belted, they do not lean forward, and their seat is moved all the way back. The vast majority of all fatally injured children in this age range were completely unrestrained. But children sometimes sit or lean far forward and may slip out of their shoulder belts, putting themselves at risk. The simple act of leaning far forward to change the radio station can momentarily place even a belted child in danger ...
Old 05-14-2009, 09:23 AM
thepostman

Originally Posted by 40ozfreedom
As long as you don't drive like a lunatic, I don't see why having your little boy in the car would be a problem. Just make sure he is buckled up safe!
I'm not old enough to have kids, but my 6 year old brother loves riding with me in the Z and I make sure he is all strapped in and I drive safe.
My mom had 3 300ZX's when I was a baby up until I guess I was 5, and we commuted every single day to her work/my daycare, which was an hour away on a good day and there was never a problem. I just chilled in my car seat right next to her!
Are you serious? It won't be fun when he is severly injured or dead. There is a reason to why there is A LAW (at least in California) to why children under the age of 12 should not be in the 350z (03-06?) passenger seat unless the airbag is disabled. They can have a traumatic brain injury (TBI) and get seriously hurt. Talk about the dumbing down of america. This is the reason why California creates such asinine laws like having adults wear bicycle helmets bc people are too dumb to not wear one themselves. Add this thread to the Darwin Awards (if you have no idea what I'm talking about google it).

Last edited by thepostman; 05-14-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: edit
Old 05-14-2009, 09:26 AM
thepostman

Originally Posted by Kanuck-Z
I take my 5 year old son to Hockey every Saturday - he loves it.

My wife and I went for our first parent teacher last night and outside the class in the hallway they had the children's art work of what they were thankful for, things like my family, my friends, my toys were common, not for my son, his sign said daddy's race car.....I'm so proud!
i bet he does love hockey...will he still love it watching tv from his chair when he's a quadroplegic or has a severe TBI bc his daddy chose not to spend $150 for an airbag switch and $250 to install it? good lord...
Old 05-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Darkpath

Originally Posted by iamdigital
We're gonna have serious issues when this one turn 16 unless we're all on horses again by then

Its a possibility... So open her up for her (within reason) from time to time while you can... If you hit it from a light - you get all the glory - and can still shut-her down before you pass the speed limit... And that my friends - Is why little girls love their Dads. It's that crazy imaginative thrill they find - while knowing nothing can go wrong while Dad still breathes...
Old 05-14-2009, 09:44 AM
bgood

lord forgive this man, for he not know what he is doing.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:04 AM
ish06FairladyZ

my 4 year old nephew loves riding in the Z, just make sure you use a booster/child seat and strap them in correctly and your good to go... he calls it the cool car. whenever the weekend rolls around he askes, can I ride in the cool car today??? I cant wait for my son to be around his age to take him around but he's only 5 months so still have a lot of waiting until then.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of these posts scare me.

Personally, I would just get a G35. I'd never put a car seat in a 2-seater, but that's just me.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:12 AM
nismogrlracr

Originally Posted by thepostman
i bet he does love hockey...will he still love it watching tv from his chair when he's a quadroplegic or has a severe TBI bc his daddy chose not to spend $150 for an airbag switch and $250 to install it? good lord...
Are you assuming that he has an 03-06 that doesn't have the sensor to automatically turn off the airbag? I don't recall the people that are being scrutinized as saying what year their vehicle is.
If they do have an 03-06, then I agree with you that a switch needs to be put in for the kids to ride, but if they have an 07-08, they are ok. I have an 08 and my 6 year old rides with his booster, seat all the way back and I make certain he is always sitting properly. I also always check that the light is on showing that the airbag is disengaged.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:49 PM
JEKL

Are you serious? It won't be fun when he is severly injured or dead. There is a reason to why there is A LAW (at least in California) to why children under the age of 12 should not be in the 350z (03-06?) passenger seat unless the airbag is disabled. They can have a traumatic brain injury (TBI) and get seriously hurt. Talk about the dumbing down of america. This is the reason why California creates such asinine laws like having adults wear bicycle helmets bc people are too dumb to not wear one themselves. Add this thread to the Darwin Awards (if you have no idea what I'm talking about google it).
Who are you talking to? You bumped a thread from 7 months ago and neither one of those members has been on since then.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Travic

Hmm interesting i went to my nissan dealer several months ago and spefically asked about a switch and what i needed to do to install one they told me there was no such switch and no way they would install one. At the time i didnt know of the NHTSA approval letter needed but shouldnt they have at least said something along the lines of this instead of just shutting me down and refusing any work? This is the kind of crap that makes people want to sue.grrrr

well im off to get an approval
http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/DOT...ch_Request.pdf

And yeah i would rather not put my 4 yr old in harms way but the car was purchased before he was a twinkle in his momma's eye ;-) and the idea of selling it for a G isnt a question with todays economy. Luckily its only a 10 minute drive on side streets 2 times a week so the danger while present is very minimal but even that is too much :-(

I tried looking for the laws in Florida at one point but never could find anything stating it was illegal like in Cali.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:45 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by Travic
Hmm interesting i went to my nissan dealer several months ago and spefically asked about a switch and what i needed to do to install one they told me there was no such switch and no way they would install one. At the time i didnt know of the NHTSA approval letter needed but shouldnt they have at least said something along the lines of this instead of just shutting me down and refusing any work? This is the kind of crap that makes people want to sue.grrrr

well im off to get an approval
http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/DOT...ch_Request.pdf

And yeah i would rather not put my 4 yr old in harms way but the car was purchased before he was a twinkle in his momma's eye ;-) and the idea of selling it for a G isnt a question with todays economy. Luckily its only a 10 minute drive on side streets 2 times a week so the danger while present is very minimal but even that is too much :-(

I tried looking for the laws in Florida at one point but never could find anything stating it was illegal like in Cali.
I have seen many other people say the same thing about the dealership either refused to install it or they never even heard of it. The only thing I have been able to find is the Nissan Tech Bulletin, NTB02-123. It is for the '03, but it may be a start. I have also read about this company in Fredericksburg, MD that does this.

Please let me know if you have any luck with this. I would love to do the same on my '06. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:56 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Just for the record to all the naysayers out there that thinks it's unsafe, I guess every other car accident out there has never hurt a child.... yep, all other cars are safe for children except the Z.

I don't care what you're driving, you can never control traffic conditions. So if you think driving a Land Rover is safe, tell us how you avoid an 18 wheeler who's driver has been at it for 18 straight hours and finally falls asleep and veers into you. Hmm....
Old 05-14-2009, 07:30 PM
hpka365

Originally Posted by Greg06
Don't forget to post proper signage..

aahahahhahahaha
i cant stop laughing. usually stuff on forums makes me kinda laugh but damn, I cant stop.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:44 PM
2boosted4u

Originally Posted by iamdigital
8 now and big enough to take an airbag to the face as she has no car seat to decapitate her
hahahahahahaa roflmfao
Old 05-15-2009, 06:34 AM
RN7676

You can find copy of the TSB NTB02-123 with a google search. It confirms the existence of of a switch, but does not provide any installation instructions. I could not find any reference to the switch or installation instructions in the shop manual either. The switch probably comes with instructions.

Some dealers may not want to deal with it. It is probably a tremendous liability for the dealership.

As far as I know, the only member here who might actually have the switch is a prior poster on this thread named "350Catfish". I would love to see pics of what it looks like and where they install it.
Attached Files
Old 05-15-2009, 07:14 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 05-15-2009, 09:14 AM
ZBigDog

na I wouldnt come close, my first kid is due in 20 days, traded my wife's pos neon in on a pathfinder, and I'll be getting an altima or maxima for when I need to ride the little guy. With a kid, the Z will become a Sunday car only, unless I am fortunate enough to keep it another 12 years, he won't ever know what the inside looks like.

yeah all the "drive extra careful" is hilarious, is that what you do when you don't feel like wearing your seat belt?

+1 for getting a g
Old 05-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Lento

Originally Posted by iStan
Just get a G35.
I would rather be in the the Z for a collision any day than in the back seat of a G35 coupe

If the kid is small enough the airbag should sense his weight and not go off anyways (if thats the issue)

Quick Reply: anyone ride with kid in the z?