you slam on the brake harder though. look like you

could've avoided it. well good thing you had a video

camera which i don't know why the hell you had it

but thread is too long for me to read why you had

it
Old 11-12-2008, 05:43 PM
350zsunshinefl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, the white suv is 100% at fault , video should shut him up, you are golden man.

But i want to find out how to get one set up in my car, mind sharing details?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:50 PM
kevincat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

road was kinda wet because it was sprinkling at the time and i will put the pictures of the carputer up later on.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:00 PM
hiz-n-herz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, the white SUV clearly did not yield right-of-way. You are already on the main street. They are turning onto your street from a parking lot. If you don't get your deductible paid by white SUV, sue them in small claims.

BUT - that's what your ins company is for - representing and defending you. They don't want to assume any responsibility for the other party. if they don't get it 100% white SUV's fault, then you need a new ins company.

I would keep the video under your hat unless you need it. Let your ins company know you have it. Let the others involved make their legal statements to the officers (too late for that) or to the courts (or insurance companies) before they know there's a video. Then use your video to call them out when they lie about the accident. Your speed is irrelevant to the fact that they did not yield ROW. Stick to the minimum facts needed to keep your legal advantage. let them argue about your speed. If it comes up as being a factor, then present your video.

Also explain why you have a camera in your car - most will associate that with illegal street racing. That was my first thought when I saw the dash camera rolling.

Also, you notice them about 1.5 seconds before they notice you. I can't see your car nose-dive from braking, but I can tell when you start to swerve out of the way. Then 1.5 seconds later, the SUV nose-dives. So you, who has no reason to suspect someone pulling in front of you, perceives the accident and takes evasive manuvers before someone who can't tell if the oncoming lane is clear and SHOULD be looking to make sure, is not even paying attention. It'd not surprise me if they were on a cell phone.

The white truck sees that the light is turning Green for the traffic heded straight and in their haste, does not stop once the get i front of the brown SUV to see if the next lane is clear. They did not even try to check, but relied completely upon the brown SUV driver to tell them the road was clear - the brown SUV didn't see your car because it is small and there is another large vehicle directly behind them. Or they assumed you were going straight and had to slow down and stop behind them.

Be careful with the vid - it could also be used against you - the lawyers will figure out a way - keep it as a Right-of-way violation unless you have to go further.

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 11-12-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:05 PM
SOZ

I'm not so sure I'd show this video to anyone. If I were a lawyer I'd claim that if you had been paying attention you could have avoided the accident. I don't know where you were looking or what you were doing but the first thing you should have noticed was that the two SUVs were stopped quite a ways back from where they would normally be at the stop light. Also you can plainly see the white SUV getting ready to pull out as they are stopped for it. By the time the nose of the white SUV begins to appear you still have 4 car lengths or so to react and brake. It does not appear that you even applied the brakes or tried to take any evasive action until you made contact with the other vehicle. Were you talking on your cell phone or otherwise distracted? I'm not entirely sure but I believe in some, if not all states, accident blame can be placed on the last person able to prevent the accident. In this case if you had been driving defensively you might have avoided the accident.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Attention people - this is exactly why you NEVER wave somebody out or let somebody wave you out into traffic. You're trusting your life/property to somebody else's judgement.

The only negative I see for you is that your video doesn't show speed, etc. on the screen. I'm not sure how much "proof" you really have unless you have some kind of time line on the video.
works both ways though. they cant prove he was speeding so i think speed can be thrown out the door.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Gee3point5Mhmm

Originally Posted by kevincat
oh yeah... there was a witness, he was the guy in the brown suv. he waved the white suv out because he thought it was clear. after the accident i came up to him to ask him how in the world he didnt see me he said that i was zooming up too fast for him to see me... well there was this girl 14-16 she said that i was speeding. and i ask her how she know i was speeding and she was like well look at your car.... and i was like sooooooooooo i have a sport car..............sooooooooo..... im always speeding??? and her dad was like telling her to be quiet...she was on the passenger side so i doubt she even know what was going on. ruin my freaking day happen like an hour ago
speeding or not that is still that guys fault, you had the right of way.. That's why i never try to take a busy road like that, doesn't hurt to go the other way where there is a light.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:24 PM
aznmojo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i would have pulled to the left much harder since there were no cars, but otherwise i am pretty sure you are in the clear, that guy totally went without looking. And damn, that video device you got is cool.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:27 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by Nexx
works both ways though. they cant prove he was speeding so i think speed can be thrown out the door.
Again, Speed is irrelevant to a right-of-way issue. Unless they claim he was going some insane speed like 70 MPH, which he clearly is not.

The White SUV should have STOPPED in front of the brown SUV that was waiving him through and then looked to see if it was clear. There's no way the brown suv would know how clear the road behind him was since brown SUV's view is blocked by abother SUV.

I NEVER take someone elses word if it's clear - that is 100% the driver's responsibility. "The other guy said the coast was clear" is not a defense.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 PM
snuffy11

Not sure about the laws in your state but, you are going straight, the suv did not yield right of way #1 and it didn't seem as if you were speeding.. I had a bad wreck last December. A Woman just decided that she could make a left turn across my lane.. 100% her fault. Good luck,, you have the video and you were going in a straight line..
Old 11-12-2008, 06:38 PM
kevincat

to be clear i wasnt on the phone wasnt paying attention to the screen or anything. acutally my camera does not appear on the screen i have a software that play music just like any other jvc or kenwoord double din so there was no distraction. i did brake you cant see it because the road was wet and i skidded and i could hear my tires skid.
and to why i didnt swerve is because i dont want to be in any other accident. i have seen where people try to avoid an accident to end up in a worst accident.

right before the accident i could feel my body tighten because i know there would be a point of impact so there wasnt much i could do but brace myself for the hit. if you look at the video closely you could see that the suv nosedive out first. he did not even slow down.

Last edited by kevincat; 11-12-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:38 PM
kevincat

Originally Posted by snuffy11
Not sure about the laws in your state but, you are going straight, the suv did not yield right of way #1 and it didn't seem as if you were speeding.. I had a bad wreck last December. A Woman just decided that she could make a left turn across my lane.. 100% her fault. Good luck,, you have the video and you were going in a straight line..
im in alabama same state as you snuff. dont know much bout laws down here tho
Old 11-12-2008, 06:43 PM
kevincat

no way in hell would i ever pull to the left into on coming traffic to avoid an accident because there would always be a chance of me getting into a head on collision which is way worse than what would have happen. people always say to have the point of impact far away as possible that way i wouldnt be as injured.

in the video you could clearly see that there was no car on the left but if you were in the car, all you can think about is brake brake brake. and you woulnt have time to look to the left tto see if it was clear to swerve left.

Last edited by kevincat; 11-12-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:44 PM
d1mon3k

It's their fault 113% Video shows your not in the wrong at all. I'd have to agree with holding this video off until you think you really need to use it. But no matter what you decide to do, there is no reason what so ever that you should have to pay a dime. I'm sure some insurance groups have different policies but I know Allstate will help you like no other. That's who I got and they are probably the best. Some people probably have different opinions but just make sure you have one that will whoop some @ss for you.........

G/L with everything though, since I know what your going through. It'll work itself out. Lots of patience though...

Last edited by d1mon3k; 11-12-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:07 PM
kevincat

so should i give a copy of the video to my insurance company? because its both their words ( the white suv and the guy in the brown suv) against mine. also im in a Z so the usual stereotypical thing to say is that im a wreckless young driver.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:29 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
I agree, the white SUV clearly did not yield right-of-way. You are already on the main street. They are turning onto your street from a parking lot. If you don't get your deductible paid by white SUV, sue them in small claims.

BUT - that's what your ins company is for - representing and defending you. They don't want to assume any responsibility for the other party. if they don't get it 100% white SUV's fault, then you need a new ins company.

I would keep the video under your hat unless you need it. Let your ins company know you have it. Let the others involved make their legal statements to the officers (too late for that) or to the courts (or insurance companies) before they know there's a video. Then use your video to call them out when they lie about the accident. Your speed is irrelevant to the fact that they did not yield ROW. Stick to the minimum facts needed to keep your legal advantage. let them argue about your speed. If it comes up as being a factor, then present your video.

Also explain why you have a camera in your car - most will associate that with illegal street racing. That was my first thought when I saw the dash camera rolling.

Also, you notice them about 1.5 seconds before they notice you. I can't see your car nose-dive from braking, but I can tell when you start to swerve out of the way. Then 1.5 seconds later, the SUV nose-dives. So you, who has no reason to suspect someone pulling in front of you, perceives the accident and takes evasive manuvers before someone who can't tell if the oncoming lane is clear and SHOULD be looking to make sure, is not even paying attention. It'd not surprise me if they were on a cell phone.

The white truck sees that the light is turning Green for the traffic heded straight and in their haste, does not stop once the get i front of the brown SUV to see if the next lane is clear. They did not even try to check, but relied completely upon the brown SUV driver to tell them the road was clear - the brown SUV didn't see your car because it is small and there is another large vehicle directly behind them. Or they assumed you were going straight and had to slow down and stop behind them.

Be careful with the vid - it could also be used against you - the lawyers will figure out a way - keep it as a Right-of-way violation unless you have to go further.
+1
Best advice given so far. This is along the lines of what I would recommend as well. Re-read this and take it as great advice. Don't use the video unless needed. There is no reason to prove what happened. When the police got there, they could tell the white SUV was at fault. The video isn't a problem, but as mentioned, they could find some stupid little thing to nit pick and have 100% evidence of it. As it stand, you have nothing to prove and your speed is irrelevant. You have the right of way, they did not yield to you. Case closed. BTW, you won't get any hassles on this from the insurance. DON'T file a claim with your Insurance company. Simply report the accident to them. The other driver's insurance will pay this out. There is no reason to file a claim with your company.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

so should i give a copy of the video to my insurance company? because its both their words ( the white suv and the guy in the brown suv) against mine. also im in a Z so the usual stereotypical thing to say is that im a wreckless young driver.
Keep the vid under wraps until you ABSOLUTELY need it. Let your insurance company duke it until they feel they have screwed you the required amount like all insurance companies. I feel that is 100% the SUV fault. You did NOTHING wrong. Simple failure to yield to the right of way.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:34 PM
kevincat

+1
Best advice given so far. This is along the lines of what I would recommend as well. Re-read this and take it as great advice. Don't use the video unless needed. There is no reason to prove what happened. When the police got there, they could tell the white SUV was at fault. The video isn't a problem, but as mentioned, they could find some stupid little thing to nit pick and have 100% evidence of it. As it stand, you have nothing to prove and your speed is irrelevant. You have the right of way, they did not yield to you. Case closed. BTW, you won't get any hassles on this from the insurance. DON'T file a claim with your Insurance company. Simply report the accident to them. The other driver's insurance will pay this out. There is no reason to file a claim with your company.
actually i didnt file a claim with my insurance company yet. but the other guy obviously did and i guess their insurance company contacted my insurance so they open a claim.

also you can see the other car nosedive but not mine is because my camera is mounted on my car so if i did a nosedive it would hardly be noticeable. my camera move with my car so its hard to tell on camera if i stop or not which i slamm the brakes right away

Last edited by kevincat; 11-12-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:42 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

actually i didnt file a claim with my insurance company yet. but the other guy obviously did and i guess their insurance company contacted my insurance so they open a claim.
They didn't "open a claim" with your company, then. They notified your company of their claim. A claim is a request to pay for the repair or replacement of the vehicle. The claim filed is for HIS insurance to pay out. Your insurance will only open a claim if they deny it at his company, or you call them to file it. I would still call them to tell them about the accident. Stick to your guns though. You seem wishy-washy on this. You have not reason to be. You are 100% in the right.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 PM
kevincat

ok im removing the video. my bro will talk to the insurance people tomorrow. and im likely to hold off the video for now. i let you guys know what the insurance people say. thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: got in an accident today video inside