Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the resale value of these cars make anyone else sick?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 09:38 AM
bancs2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What made you think your were buying a unique car? Before they were released, it was posted that they were going to produce and ship 25-30 thousand units to the U.S. Soon these cars will be as common as the Eclipse or Mustang. I agree that it is over priced for the amount that Nissan released. Especially since they use the same damn engine in every car they make.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:46 AM
gooters

Nick...get your car in autotrader.com!!!!!!!!!! Or some other online sales...

At that price you should be able to find a buyer...my350Z.com is great, but seriously, it's not a used car forum specifically.

Also, EVERY car depreciated ALOT at first...and a sucky economy doesn't help any at all.

BTW, if I didn't already have my Z...I would jump on yours. GL!
Old 08-19-2003, 10:12 AM
RedHerring

Anyone that buys a car as an investment is out of their minds or stupid/ignorant. At any second any moron could reduce your baby to junk status by hitting it hard with their junker. Sure you can take it to a shop and make it look good but it is never going to be the same and nobody is going to buy it what with carfax etc.

You are burning money when you buy a car. Just make sure you get your share of roasted marshmellows in the bargain.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:05 AM
marhot

Default HA HA HA!!!

"You are burning money when you buy a car. Just make sure you get your share of roasted marshmallows in the bargain."

Good one!
Old 08-19-2003, 11:24 AM
krismax

What happen to the people who say " Someday ill put classic insurance on my Z"
Old 08-19-2003, 12:14 PM
bixby

Default Re: Does the resale value of these cars make anyone else sick?

Originally posted by nick800
I am seriously dissapointed in the resale value of these cars. I have never owned a car that depreciated in value faster than this one. I payed $31,000 for a brand new Performance in Feb and now I can't sell my car for $25,000. A Nissan dealership said my car was only worth $22k. F*** Nissan. I will never buy another car from them. They flooded the market with over priced cars and now we are all stuck with vehicles that depreciate faster than we can make payments on them. I've owned lots of Toyotas, Hondas, and Mazdas and barely lost money on them. My twin turbo supra and twin turbo RX7 actually increased in value during the time I had them. That is a sign you have a genuine unique sports car. In the combined 9 years that the rx7 and supra were sold in this country there were less of those produced than in the first model year of the Z. Another fact that makes me sick. I can't go a single day without seeing at least 5 other Z's on the road. I don't know about you guys, but when I buy what I think is a unique sports car, I don't want to see a million of them on the road. I actually had one Z owner flip me off in my Z for having the same car. True story. Whatever the case is, I'm not buying into the hype surrounding a mass produced pseudo sports car again.
You listen to the dealer? High end Nissan's hold their value better than most. If you want to see disapointment, talk to a Jaguar owner. Those cars drop like rocks. Kelly Blue Book doesn't even have numbers for value on these cars yet so actually the car is worth what ever you can sell it for. Sounds like your timing just sucks. With the new models rolling out most people will be looking for new. I guess some people buy for the hype and others buy for love of the car and it's history.
Attached Thumbnails Does the resale value of these cars make anyone else sick?-my3ladysa.jpg  
Old 08-19-2003, 12:18 PM
bixby

Originally posted by krismax
What happen to the people who say " Someday ill put classic insurance on my Z"
We're still here!!
Attached Thumbnails Does the resale value of these cars make anyone else sick?-my3ladysa.jpg  
Old 08-19-2003, 12:22 PM
350zSpeedRacer

Default Re: Re: Does the resale value of these cars make anyone else sick?

Originally posted by bixby
If you want to see disapointment, talk to a Jaguar owner. Those cars drop like rocks.
Those "high end" bimmers do, too. Someone paid 90K to buy my 840ci back in 97. I paid 30 for it last year--with a warranty to 100k miles!
Old 08-19-2003, 12:58 PM
nigevellie

Originally posted by marhot
A car is not any investment. With all due respect, your expectations are a little warped.

If you went into the deal only expecting to keep the car less than two years, you should have leased. Any car, including “twin turbo supra and twin turbo RX7”, is going to lose value.

You should have bought a used Z.

My advice? Invest in tax-free annuities, not cars.

Drive & enjoy your Z. 95% of the people in this country can’t even afford a Z. You’re a fortunate man to be able to own a Z. I know I’m very thankful to own one.

There are more serious things in life to be upset about.

Peace.
what he said.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Montez

Originally posted by 35oZephyR
Good point... but a majority of the people who own these pricey trucks and SUV's will utilize the functionality of the storage bed or extra seating.

Granted, theres alot of people who like trucks just for their styling... I know folks who need their F350 for work...or they need their Expedition to truck their kids around. Some of these same people paid more for these trucks but many of them wished they had the oppurtunity cost to have some recreation in a vehicle that is almost as practical as a motorcycle.

I'm sure many of us on these forums would love to be on a Yamaha R1...or whatever superbike... most of us have the money for it because they're cheaper than our Z's but given the praticality, dangers, and function of such a recreational vehicle, we can't "afford" it.
Not here in Texas most of them donot haul anything or have kids they just "feel" safe as they say down here in it. A bunch of crap but its true they feel safer in large vehicles I have heard it millions of times.!
Old 08-19-2003, 01:30 PM
gooters

I think Nick is just disappointed that his car hasn't sold yet, but I am convinced that proper advetising will help the situation.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:23 PM
myinfinitig20

i read in money magazine the expected used price of the nissan z in 3 years is 36 w/12k a year mileage which is pretty good when considering the bmw 3 series is 40%. Number one car in holding resale value was the benz clk convertable and then the clk hardtop.

my .02c
Old 08-19-2003, 05:47 PM
ZULATOR

Just sold my "2200 mile Touring" last week on Ebay for $31,000. I paid $32, 500 (four months ago). I didn't lose that much money. $450 x 4 = $1800. The dealer was only offering me $27,000. The only reason I sold it was because I am headed overseas for a few years.

Rush
Old 08-23-2003, 03:51 PM
350znorwich

Ive paid £28350 for my 350z GT with spec in March 03 the Car 'sold out' in under 1 Hour of being released for order, 800 cars for 2003 then we are being told 1000 cars per year thereafter.

I have been offered £32300 for mine in October when it arrives but i would never sell it as i wont find another.

Before putting your Money in, more research in build numbers would be recomended if you intend early disposal.

Sent it to England on a boat as a LHD it may fetch £26000 not sure how many dollars that is

www.autotrader.co.uk

You will need a postcode (NR1 1AA) Search Nationally

Have a Look!!

Last edited by 350znorwich; 08-23-2003 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:15 PM
Z-Desperado

My 02 Nissan Altima 3.5SE was sticker price was $27,582 and I finally only got $20,000 and around $500.00 In a gasoline and extended warranty in a dealers package and I thought that was bad. I didn’t have much tread on the front tires and they said they would have to buy two new tires (to many burnouts) but the Z sounds worse. The dealer in Florida was marking all of his Z’s up at least $5,000.00 when I first looked at them.
I wonder how people feel that bought cars from him. The 77 280Z that I had I sold it for almost the same price that I paid for it several years later. I did get a good deal on it because the dealer had it left over. The Z is a keeper for me so I won’t make the same mistake as the Altima but I couldn’t get the Z out of my mind until I bought one so the loss I took was just another learning experience.

Old 08-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Rama

Why exactly do you want to sell it? I can't see myself buying a car I would want to sell so quickly. Maybe a few years but I am the kind of person who would buy a car and keep it till it dies. Why would you buy a first year vehicle then turn around and sell it months later? Should have waited if you were worried about selling it. If you want a car thats unique you are going to have to fork out more cash the the 30,000 dollar range. Here do this go buy a Ferrari Enzo I guarantee you won't see 5 of those in a day, or even yet call motorex and get an R32. It just seems like you concentrated on the wrong things here maybe its just me. One thing though never buy a new car especially it's first year in production and expect to get close to what you paid from the dealer. Just a future FYI never try to be unique by purchasing a mass produced product doesn't work to well what one would call a conflict of interest. But I do agree with others you should have better luck adverstising it in the private sector autotrader 0wnz j00 good luck with that sales.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:36 PM
KombatKing

Nick,

Cars nearly always depreciate and are seldom good investments... if you want the best of both worlds - ie. a new(er) car with less depreciation, lease the car, or buy one that is 2-3 years old (certified pre-owned or privately with a 3rd party warranty).

Depreciation rates lessen over time, and a dealer will always low-ball you - that's how they make their money.

Example:

My 2000 Maxima SE (Fully Loaded) was $29,700 when it was purchased new by the original owner. I bought it from him one year ago with 32K miles on it for $14,600. It's now worth around $12,000.

So, in one year, I've "lost" $2,600 but it's well worth it to have a wonderful car like the Maxima. I'm surprised you haven't felt that way about your 350Z... I STILL miss my first Z (75 280Z) and look forward to buying a 350Z Roadster in the next couple years.

To me, it's worth not paying alot of cash in depreciation and waiting for a nice Z that was well maintained, properly broken in, and cared for by it's first owner.

Other people really love having a new car and don't care about the depreciation - they are just happy driving their Z!

We all live and learn, so maybe for your next car purchase, a used vehicle would be a wiser choice...?

~KK
Old 08-24-2003, 12:10 AM
mike952

Default resale

I haven't posted in a while. I wanted barganing power on upgrading my Z (i.e. was disappointed in a few things [rattle, window streak, a bad tv/dvd install, etc], so I took my enthusiast (back to bone stock) to Carmax for appraisal. They liked it so much they gave $26k for the car in late June. Dealer didn't give me more than 25k on trade in (and this is after showing the evaluator my $26k quote while walking to the car). To make a long story short, the dealer wanted to close the deal (end of June sales quota I guess) and accepted $26K for trade in of my Enthusiast 6sp w/ side airbags w/ 4800 miles.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:50 AM
Ryde

All things being said...I'll add this...

At the dealership a few weeks back, waiting for my passengerside window grease TSB to be completed...I met a fellow Z owner. Older gentleman...only had 1k miles on his and was lookin to trade it in for the 04 Roadster. I was listening in on his convo with the guy who works there. They were only going to give him 12k for his! 12k...he paid 32 for his. 20k knocked off at trade-in? He was a bit pissed. I couldn't blame him...needless to say hes going to check other dealerships to see what they say.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:02 PM
zeroday

Originally posted by Ryde
All things being said...I'll add this...

At the dealership a few weeks back, waiting for my passengerside window grease TSB to be completed...I met a fellow Z owner. Older gentleman...only had 1k miles on his and was lookin to trade it in for the 04 Roadster. I was listening in on his convo with the guy who works there. They were only going to give him 12k for his! 12k...he paid 32 for his. 20k knocked off at trade-in? He was a bit pissed. I couldn't blame him...needless to say hes going to check other dealerships to see what they say.
sorry but im not buying this BS. they use industry guides like kelly's blue book to determine trade in prices, sometimes adjusting the price for mileage, wear etc. 12k offers just aren't going to happen for a 32k dollar 03 Z. Either he lied to you, the dealer didn't want his business, there was something wrong with his car, you misunderstood him, or...well, fill in the blank.

Quick Reply: Does the resale value of these cars make anyone else sick?