Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why 350z!!!????!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 01:19 PM
Mikestro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 liter 430HP inline 4 = ka-blammo...if you could ever even get that much power.

The 350Z may be limited to lower boost due to compression but you do not need to rebuild the entire lower block to run higher boost. Just replace pistons/rods. Even doing NONE of that, just dropping in a STI S/C = 430HP for $5K.

Edit 'Some dude who took his car to a Car and driver event' put $6800 in mods on an EVO and it is running 13.0s 1/4 mile @ 106 MPH. There are people on this board that have done mid 12s (maybe low 12s) with less money than that in a 350Z.

Last edited by Mikestro; 08-21-2003 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:23 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by Mikestro
The 350Z may be limited to lower boost due to compression but you do not need to rebuild the entire lower block to run higher boost. Just replace pistons/rods. Even doing NONE of that, just dropping in a STI S/C = 430HP for $5K.

Edit 'Some dude who took his car to a Car and driver event' put $6800 in mods on an EVO and it is running 13.0s 1/4 mile @ 106 MPH. There are people on this board that have done mid 12s (maybe low 12s) with less money than that in a 350Z.

I agree that strengthening the internals is an important step in prepping a NA engine for FI. However, there's more to it than just that. Even if you strengthen the internals like crazy, you're still stuck with crappy 91 octane gas in places like California. You just can't run 15+ psi on a 10.3:1 engine with 91 octane unleaded gas when it's 90 degrees outside. You'll probably get pinging and detonation, and no matter how strong your internals are, something will break when that happens.

In addition to strengthening the internals (which is indeed a very good idea), you'll also have to lower the compression, or run really high octane gas. Most places don't have easy access to 100+ octane at the pump, so running really high octane in a street car isn't really a viable option for a vast majority of people.

Personally, if I was serious about doing a high-boost FI setup on the Z, I'd do it right and strengthen the internals *and* lower the compression. You'll get more reliable, stable power especially when it gets hot outside, you'll be able to use pump gas, and you'll increase the life of the engine.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:53 PM
DavidD

Default Answer: larger engine more cylinders.

Don’t flame me I know this is a general statement. But larger engine and more cylinders equals more options for mods and more Hp potential. For example the Ferrari F40 2.9 L V8 TT 478 Hp to the max of its ability. Enzo Ferrari 6L V12 naturally aspirated 660 Hp might not even be close to its max. That is the way that I see it. Take an enthusiast Z for $28,000 put $10,000 in mods and you will have one of the best looking and an awesome performing cars for less than $40,000. Sounds good to me.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:10 PM
300ZX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all it basically comes down to is how much air and fuel you can combust. the bigger the explosion, the more the power. in a turbocharged car, the beauty of having a boost controller is that you can turn it down when you dont need it, and run low boost levels for driving around town or other daily driving needs. when at the track, or when racing someone, simply flip your switch or ****, or change your settings to allow greater ammounts of air, and in turn, fuel, to enter your engine. say 2 identical engines are made, one 4 cylinder and one 6. if both engines are at maximum capabilities, using identical means, the 6 cylinder WILL have more power because it has that extra displacement, and is using more air and fuel to make its explosions. the arguement here though, is a turbo-tuned 4 cylinder engine vs a naturally aspirited V6 with a turbo/SC on it. there are way too manu variables to accurately compare the two. in the 6k$ arguement, the turbocharged engine already has a gigantic advantage since its already designed for a turbo, and the money can be used to simply upgrade things it already has (if it needs them at all). on a NA engine, that 6K will be spent almost entirely on simply getting a turbo/SC to safely work at all, and further tuning/parts-adding will come at a great cost, but in return, it will have more power.

Last edited by 300ZX; 08-21-2003 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:41 PM
Dissident

I am surprised nobody has said anything (or maybe I jsut missed it) about what these cars feel like in day to day driving. When I drove the WRX, it fealt great! Until I was making a right turn on red, and I had slowed down to maybe 5mph, then tried to roll on and pull out.... Damn... Can you say laaaaaaaaag? It's great if you rev it and drop it, but in normal day to day stuff...

If I lived in the midwest still, where it rained or snowed, the Z would have been farther down my list, and the other AWD cars much higher. The s2000 was smaller and less comfortable, and while it's a honda, the Z engine is used in at leastr half the nissans out there, not just one model. The IS300 was too boring, missing ponies, and a 6th gear and has a Swatch for a dashboard. The styling of the RX8 just doesn't do it for me, and the ergos are sub-nissan quality, and I'd have to get tons of options I don't want jsut to get a few I do. The 2.4L Z4 didn;t have enough grunt and the 3.0 was too damn expensive for what it gives you. I hate mustangs, and when I sit in vettes, I still feel like I'm in my blazer with a different speedo, and I get to take it to the same mechanic that can't fix the spare tire rack on my Blazer. :P An S4 would have been more practical, but price, plus the cost of maintanence... The G35 came in at 2nd, but the styling was a bit too subdued, and again the thing with options... But, I don't WANT Bose, leather, and power seats..... The Mitsu and Subbie are just too boy-racer looking, and feel like 20K cars witha motor and suspension, whereas the Z just feel like the 30K car it was designed from the groun up to be, and I got exactly the options I wanted and none I didn't.

And, I like the way it looks best. If I wanted fast I would have.. Wait, I did buy a bike. Lemme know how much $$$ it takes to get your 1/4 mile times in the 10 second (stock for me, lol) range, or lemme know if you think you can lap me @ Fontana!

And I like the styling of it better. =)
Old 08-21-2003, 03:47 PM
SlamMan

I'm assuming you ment the ATI SC. It actually makes about 360 HP on a good day. Getting to 360 wouldn't be that hard in the Evo. I have seen guys in E8s' run 12.9s' with no where near $6K invested. And this was at Bandimere. A track that's over 5800 ft above sea level.

I don't mean to come off as a hater of the 350. I'm going to buy one my self over the E8 and STi. I just think that dollar for dollar the E8 is a better performance car. Stock and modded. Just an opinion. Do with it as you wish.

Last edited by SlamMan; 08-21-2003 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:18 PM
darkz77

Default Re: Re: Why 350z!!!????!!!

Originally posted by syf0n
Simply put, if all you see is some numbers on a sheet of paper, then you are are missing the point.
He explained it all. If your into all performance than get the EVO but this car looks hella better than a EVO (IMO). I've noticed this car gets peoples attention off the road
Old 08-21-2003, 05:08 PM
Mikestro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SlamMan
[B]I'm assuming you ment the ATI SC. It actually makes about 360 HP on a good day. Getting to 360 wouldn't be that hard in the Evo. I have seen guys in E8s' run 12.9s' with no where near $6K invested. And this was at Bandimere. A track that's over 5800 ft above sea level.

360rwhp in a Z= 430 @ crank. (approximately 17% DT loss is widely accepted number)

EVO (or any other 2 liter 4 banger) will have a tough time getting to 430 at the crank. For evidence, look for other 2.0 liters and what they produce, even heavily modified. Go to clubsi.com and ask how many Honda owners are putting 360 to the ground

I don't hate the EVO, I think the AWD is great for launching.... and if I wanted a 4 door 4 cylinder, it would have been one of the top 5, right along with Civics and Subarus.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:26 PM
kelvin1704

Default Re: Re: Why 350z!!!????!!!

Originally posted by yobri
Aesthetical value means a lot to many high performance drivers, the most of which includes factors like vehicle design and coupe (2 door) status.

Not to say that the Evo is a sh*tbox, but I wouldn't drive, let's say... a Beetle that exerts 400hp just because it MAY be faster and cheaper.

Every car has its place, and personal preferences influence additional decision-making changes accordingly. Basically, get what you want. If the best performance for the buck is what you want, then do that. If you want a good balance of design and performance, then.... you get the point.

I drove Evo7 before, its realy not the case that u said, Its really a powerful daily drivable car. I purchase 350z myself, just that the performance came nothing close to a Evo7.

I didn't choose Evo7 cause there's a lot on the street here and its rough looks. Looks more like a gangster kind of car...
Old 08-21-2003, 08:10 PM
SlamMan

For evidence, look for other 2.0 liters and what they produce, even heavily modified. Go to clubsi.com and ask how many Honda owners are putting 360 to the ground
Well throw the hare in the bryar patch.

ClubSi.com turbo dyno thread.

1.6 litres on stock internals making around 240-270 whp. "Heavily modified" 1.6 - 2 litres making 340-500 whp. It's not as hard you might think to make to make 360 whp out of a 2 litre. Or 470 at the crank if you prefer.

Last edited by SlamMan; 08-21-2003 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:43 PM
Mikestro

Originally posted by SlamMan
Well throw the hare in the bryar patch.

ClubSi.com turbo dyno thread.

1.6 litres on stock internals making around 240-270 whp. "Heavily modified" 1.6 - 2 litres making 340-500 whp. It's not as hard you might think to make to make 360 whp out of a 2 litre. Or 470 at the crank if you prefer.
So the real question is....

Can you make more HP with a 2 liter 4 cylinder or a 3.5 lter 6 cylinder.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:08 PM
Z2k3

Default Re: Why 350z!!!????!!!

Originally posted by kelvin1704
I am curious, why would you choose 350z?

If I wanted performance but value, I would go for Evo 7 or 8 which has a much faster 0-100kmph and should have higher Top speed like 260KMPH, 350z might top at 230KMPH.

I am just curious why no one here consider Mitsubishi EVO 7 or 8 as it is faster and cheaper.

Enlighten me please.
Because the 350z looks like a sports car I've even had mine mistaken for a Porsche several times, a EVO looks like a Camry with a huge wing and funky hood. It's just a turbocharged sedan what's the point? If I wanted a fast sedan I would get a BMW or a Benz not a EVO. I wanted a affordable sports car that looked good and had performance, there are not very many to choose from for less than 30k. You have Mustangs, the Dodge SRT-4, the EVO, the WRX, and the 350z. The S2000 and most any other car of any "real" performance doing at least 14's in the 1/4 mile stock will run you well over 30k. Everything else you could only buy used with that type of performance.

The WRX & EVO looks like family cars that someone tried to make look sporty, I've already owned a Mustang, and while the SRT-4 doesn't look bad I'm not too fond of Dodge. Looks + Performance - 30k = the 350z there is no other choice
Old 08-21-2003, 10:12 PM
kozik

evos and sti look retarded. they are SEDANS, they are SQUARE...they look EXTRA GOOFY with a wing and a scoop. Theres a ton of them around here..and sorry..I do NOT care if it's 'faster' than my car...they look stupid.

thats why.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:25 AM
Phatmitzu

because Im a selfish bastard that dont want to give all of my friends rides. 2 seater is plenty for me.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:15 AM
delhi

People who buys an EVO or STis are different from the regular crowd. They are into this rally cult-like heritage. and grows up with the JDM PS2 Gran Turismo games. There's a reason why the EVOs and WRX STis are revered around the world. if you don't get it.... you don't. They are in a different league than the Zs. If you've been to other countries or read Euro/Japanese auto magazines, it's often compared to the Skylines.
Don't get me wrong, the Z is a gorgeous piece of work combined with good performance. At the same time, I do respect the EVO and STi's crazy performance capabilities and will not diss them cus that would make me ignorant. So whatever rock each other's boat?

Last edited by delhi; 08-22-2003 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:29 AM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the evo if ALL you care about it speed. If you want a nice car, that sounds nice, has a nice interior, comfort, style and everything els that the evo lacks, get the 350z.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:46 PM
SlamMan

So the real question is....

Can you make more HP with a 2 liter 4 cylinder or a 3.5 lter 6 cylinder.
Well yea, that question is retarded. It also has nothing to do with the orignal statement I disagreed with. I think the last two guys said it pretty well.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Mikestro

Well yea, that question is retarded.
And so is the thought that $6K is gonna do **** for an EVO.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:27 PM
RoadRagerInTherapy

Well yea, that question is retarded. It also has nothing to do with the orignal statement I disagreed with. I think the last two guys said it pretty well.

Opinions from a troll... how quaint.

Next you'll tell us that you've got 6 Type R stickers on your Civic and each one is good for 8bhp.

Old 08-22-2003, 11:53 PM
seanrulz

Just like others in this thread, I chose the Z because of its stunning look, and great performance.
Of course Evo performs better, and I'm fully aware of its great rally heritage, and I know how demonic the car is in twisty mountain roads. (I'm not a fan of drag racing. I emphasize the car's overall ability over the straightline accleration). Let me correct this. Evo is NOT A SHITBOX or Lancer on a steriod. It might share the frame with Lancer, but it's a completely different car. I hate all Mitsubishi cars, but I deeply respect the Evo. Personally I think Evo is the only "car" that Mitsu makes. Yes, Evo is BORN for the MOD. If you drop some cash, that thing's gonna blow virtually everything on the street if you have some proper driving skills. In Japan, Evo is actually in similar class with almighty Skyline GT-R in terms of its overall performance and tunability. Also, if you watch Best Motoring, you can see the results. (Evos always mark on high rankings). Yes, it's a bloody fast car.
Personally, I like Evo's styling too. But NOT the one in U.S. now, which is Evo8, and also Evo7.
They got some little more goodies but heavier, and looks dumber than previous versions. (In my opinion, the real Evo I think is the Evo 6 Tommy Makinen Edition. Shame on him that he moved to Subaru )
Other factors also driven me away from Evo, the fact that all the goodies offered in JDM and European Evos has been omitted in U.S.
And even though I like the styling of Evo, I can't help thinking the car looks a little cheap. And like 9 out of 10 people on the street, Z's styling is still far better than Evo.
If I had another $30000 to drop to buy a 4 door car, then my pick would be Evo. But if I could choose only one car for my life, I would pick the one I have now no matter what
Point is simple. If you want all-round good-looking 2-seater sports car with some dignity and style in a reasonable(?) budget, go for Z. If you are bloody-hell performance maniac that love to dive into twisted mountain corners like Tommy, go for an Evo. (Saw new STi yesterday, and that thing is...um... way too much )

Quick Reply: Why 350z!!!????!!!