Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

The difference between my 01 Cobra & my 03 Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 01:09 PM
Z2k3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool The difference between my 01 Cobra & my 03 Z

Since this doesn't involve a race, I will post it here I guess.

Before my 03 Z I owned a 01 SVT Cobra, and while there are alot of performance and visual differences between the 2 here is my favorite difference.

01 SVT Cobra: Everywhere I drove it someone was trying to race me or rev on me. Civics, Accords, Preludes, Celicas, MR2s, 3000GTs, RSXs, Eclipses, Firebirds, Camaros, and of course all other Mustangs. That's just the tip of the iceberg though, I could not drive anywhere without someone bugging the hell out of me. Even in rush hour traffic some jackass ricer would be next to me revving their engine, I guess he wanted to race right into the cars in front of us

03 350z: Everywhere I drive people stare and point at my car, people give me great compliments. Some people ask me what the car is lol. Besides being an overall more comfortable ride no one tries to race me or rev on me. The only races I've been in are with friends and co-workers. I don't know why people don't try to race me in this car, maybe because they think I won't race or maybe because they think they can't win. Either way it is a more than welcome change from being annoyed by little teenagers all the time.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:48 PM
scottycoyote

i noticed that too........ive had one kid in a stang rev me as he met me going in the other direction......but other than that people pull up and stare.....or mouth the words "nice car". This car almost gets too much attention for me.....im the kind of guy that likes to fly under the radar, but in this car its impossible.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:53 PM
wren57
Banned

yeah, people don't want to race me... makes no sense. i got more races in my old toyota highlander than I do now. Oh well, off to the track.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Ryde

I had a kid with his girl in the passenger side rev on me at a redlight...in a Tiburon...she smiled. I laughed and went on my way...had my girl in the passenger seat also. Shes scared to death of racing so, wasn't going to put myself in a bad situation that night for a little fun then.

The only other person I've had want to go was a 99' Red Eclipse GS-T...had a bodykit, rims, wing...hit a clearing on a highway...dropped it into 5th (not gonna bother with 4th, don't want to chance ruining the synchro's). I shut down at 135mph when we came up to traffic ahead of us...he was quite aways behind me. Hit my exit...put my hand out the window to acknowledge him...saw him drive by n nod/wave back. Decent kid...most of the ricers out here respect the Z. Kinda nice. First 'sports' style car I've owned...glad I got one ricer's won't try to race every chance they get.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:49 PM
ELESWON

Damn i wish i could get more people wanting to race me. I have some semi-agressive exterior mods and a good exhaust note but they seem to have the opposite effect. That and i think Charlotte is just a ****-town for inpromtu street races.

PS. Did you forget the part about loosing 75 hp and about that much tq going to the Z car? Just messin with ya, glad your happy with the swap.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:23 PM
Duflacci

I used to get the same thing in my 99 cobra ragtop ....every green light was a race.....hondas, z28's etc ...now its m3's s2000's and vettes...whan will it end?
Old 08-24-2003, 10:04 PM
ZRated03

Thats so funny that you made a post like this, because the other day I was having this SAME discussion w/ my buddy. I have an 88' Camaro IROC-Z that I've put well over $10,000 into (just suspension, motor, tranny and rear end, nothing visual) and that same list of cars you mentioned would be throwing me the pipes wanting to 'See What Its Got' or 'Run Em' lol, it was madness. Always somebody wanting me to go thru the gears and/or race. With the Z.. its nothing but gawkers and enthusiests pointing.. asking questions.. or just wanting to chat about my Z or the Z (new or old) that they either own or know somebody that owns. Its strange.. but its alittle more civil. LoL, The Z is in a whole different world than V8 Muscle Cars. Strange but true.

- Joe
Old 08-24-2003, 10:56 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot folks say they don't pick races with the Z because it seems more sophisticated than your average drag car.

Besides, most Z's in my town are owned by the older mid thirties and up crowd. The Z's get stereotyped as "mid-life crisis cars" ...kinda like the C5. No one wants to pick fights with someone who probably isn't going to fight back.

On the other end of the spectrum... theres the VERY few individuals who put a Supercharger/exhaust/ mods..etc. and not many people want to find out the hard way: How many horses are added on top of the pressumed 287.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:31 AM
OptimusP517

Very true I've owned my car for almost 2 months now and no one has really even bothered with me. Not sure why.

But I'll guarantee you one thing is that the cobra SVT will eat up our 350z in a straight line w/oa doubt.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:06 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

I may be wrong, but I think that would depend on the model year of the cobra.

I believe a 350Z with basic bolt-on's should run close to even with a 01 cobra.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:53 AM
ZRated03

Yeah I use to own 2001 style cobra's all the time in my Camaro. Never raced an 03' tho.. those are the Cobra's w/ the venom. As for a Z running w/ an stock 01' Cobra? Eh.. maybe. Depends on whats done to the Z and how well the drivers in each car are.

- Joe