Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Your personal opinions please?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 02:34 AM
BullishZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rpgonzalez
ALL of those cars were purchased originally to be driven hard. You dont buy an M roadster to obey the speed limit. You can buy a nice mercedes for that kinda driving. Just cuz the one guy bought a Dinan hes more guilty than the others?..HA!!

USED CARS
You mean that you would HONESTLY not even consider those cars at those prices??? BS!!!

Oh, and the Z is made to be driven hard as well... but not everyone will. But someone putting a Dinan chip on their car is certainly a sign of a "performance tuned" driver. Ms. Daisy didn't have Dinan on her car.

Look at it this way... Say you can buy a used Supra. Would you feel better buying one BONE STOCK from a 40+ year old guy, or would you rather buy from a 19 year old who MODIFIED the HELL out of his car?

It's makes plain sense... can't understand why you don't see it.
Old 08-24-2002, 02:42 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised more people don't like the Boxster. Even though it's not numbers-fast, it is still a Porsche, and that does still count for something. $24k is a good deal for any Porsche, but it's still a great car in my opinion. My qualms with the M Roadster and the M3 is that the designs are now defunct, and would you want to be stuck for a few years with a car whose design is old? I know that doesn't apply to all cars, but still, it's something to consider. And it is true that in all likelihood, the M3 will have probably been run hard, although since it's a convertible, it might've been family-owned. I would say go for the M Roadster and if it's not to your liking, check out the Boxster. Good luck--
Old 08-24-2002, 02:59 AM
rai

The M roadster is an old design and it is built in SC. That is two strikes against. But it is going for a good price. I would look around to see how reliable this car is genereally. I had a 1.9L Z3 from 1996. They may have worked the bugs out by 2000.

I don't agree with the poster that puts down used cars. I tend to buy new cars, but some cars may be a good deal used. I am thinking of NSX and ferrari (although the ferrari may take longer to get into a good price range). These cars are usually bought by well heeled buyers that have several other cars to drive and thus may have low miles. They may have some track time, but sports cars are designed to be driven hard.

If I were you, I would jump on the M roadster especially if it still had some warranty left. But like I said I'm really looking forward to my Z.

You can't lose either way because the Z at MSRP is also a great deal IMO.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:09 AM
blackSunshine
Charter Member #84

The only thing I can add is: have you test drove any of em?? I'd consider any of the 3 even though I'm not big on convertibles, so I'd leave it to the test drive. I'd try to find out about maintenance on them also. If they're all equal after the maintenance and test drive are factored in, I'd take the boxster. It's the best looking IMO, and I want a 2 seater.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:24 AM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Default Re: Your personal opinions please?

Originally posted by BullishZ
I have been offered a couple used cars for prices unheard of... tell me what you guys think.

1999 BMW M3 Conv. (E36) with 57k miles. All options and Dinan chip. $19k

2000 BMW M Roadster with 23k miles. All options. $23k

1999 Porsche Boxster with 33k miles. Most options. $24k

M3 convertible -- you can like it or leave it. I personally don't care for convertibles, but if that's your cup of tea (and you can't wait for the 350Z convertible), then go for it. That's a super-cheap price.

The M roadster is ugly. 'Nuff said.

The base Boxster is slow for the money. 'Nuff said.
Old 08-24-2002, 06:00 AM
roberto350z

bullish....how many used cars have you had in your life? I am by no means an expert, but I have had 11 used cars and I must say that I have purchased these from ALL sorts of people and they ALL have had problems, problems, problems.

In fact, the best used car I ever bought was a honda with 100,000 mles that was lowered, had rims and a cold induction. The worst was a 300zx that I bought from a 50 year old lady who was the original owner, had THOUSANDS of dollars worth of painstaking maintenance from the dealer and was perfect. But, it later had all sorts of problems with transmission, differential, suspension, bearings. It is my solid opinion that this old lady was quite the abuser. Who would have known?

AND of course...dont ignore the few warnings of the members here that tell you these german cars are the worst of the lot (reliability), and I agree completely.

At this point in my life, I am no longer willing to take the chance of spending 5k in repairs on a german car when I could have spent the same amount of money on a new car and had no problems. Think about how much time you can lose making repairs. At least with a new car, you would get a loaner if theres a recall or something.

***one thing I highly suggest is to check out autotrader.com for prices. I looked for three seconds and found a 2000 Mcoupe with 30k miles for $23k.

Last edited by roberto350z; 08-24-2002 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-24-2002, 06:04 AM
roberto350z

Originally posted by BullishZ

It's makes plain sense... can't understand why you don't see it.
ps. please refrain from implying that your opinion "makes sense" and that I am "blind" for having mine.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:30 AM
BullishZ

I think that your "phobia" of used cars are just a special case where you've been fuXed a number of times...

I have had my share of lemons... (2 out of 4), but the M Roadster is still covered by a warranty...

I apologize for saying you were "blind" although I didn't say that...

But your personal opinion is what I asked for, so thanks for your post.