Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your personal opinions please?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 08:21 PM
BullishZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your personal opinions please?

I have been offered a couple used cars for prices unheard of... tell me what you guys think.

1999 BMW M3 Conv. (E36) with 57k miles. All options and Dinan chip. $19k

2000 BMW M Roadster with 23k miles. All options. $23k

1999 Porsche Boxster with 33k miles. Most options. $24k

All the cars are clean titles of course, and all these prices are SIGNIFICANTLY BELOW retail or even trade in (KBB). A buddy works at a used car dealership.

I love the Z, but I have to admit I am getting tempted.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-23-2002, 08:24 PM
straubse

I think you could buy one of those and drive it around for a year. Turn it for a profit, or at least cover your costs for the year and then buy an '04 350Z.

Those prices are definately low and a quick cost analysis will show what the "financially prudent" thing to do would be. Not that I advocate that. If you love the Z and have to have it, a cost analysis will not sway your decision. However, I would definately get one of those cars and put the Z off for a year. Besides, waiting for the 04 model year has certain advantages in and of itself.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:27 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

I don't like Beemers, but I don't know much about them so I will let others respond to that. But DON'T GET THE BOXSTER. Its only a little less than what you are paying for your Enthusiast, its performance is no better and you will have the privilege of paying $800 every time you drop your car off for the tiniest bit of maintenance.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:30 PM
rai

Well the boxster is not an S so I would pass. (but that sounds like a great price)

The M3 convert has a lot of miles and will be heavier than the M roadster. So if it were me as a former Z3 owner (I always wanted an M roadster) I would really be tempted by that price. It sounds too good to be true.

It sounds like you are really looking for a convertible. I am not into convertibles (at this time) so I would stick with the 350Z. If you like the Z but would rather have a drop top, check out that M roadster. It will be faster than the Z and really good looking. For less than the base 350Z.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:33 PM
BullishZ

Here is an example of how cheap the cars are...

The 1999 M3 Conv. in KBB =

Retail $39k (I know this is BS and nobody will pay so much, but that's the figure)

Trade In $28k
Old 08-23-2002, 08:35 PM
Z CRAZY
Charter Member #67

Get the '99 M3 for a daily driver.

Then you can keep the Z nice!
Old 08-23-2002, 08:36 PM
BullishZ

Originally posted by rai
Well the boxster is not an S so I would pass. (but that sounds like a great price)

The M3 convert has a lot of miles and will be heavier than the M roadster. So if it were me as a former Z3 owner (I always wanted an M roadster) I would really be tempted by that price. It sounds too good to be true.

It sounds like you are really looking for a convertible. I am not into convertibles (at this time) so I would stick with the 350Z. If you like the Z but would rather have a drop top, check out that M roadster. It will be faster than the Z and really good looking. For less than the base 350Z.
Thanks for the intelligent post! I expected some "WTF you don't deserve a Z, you sell out!!!" posts. Of course, I am just seeing what everyone thinks here regarding my possible opportunity.

My bud has offered me a list of about 10 cars all for REAL good deals... However, I have picked out those 3 since I do love convertibles. I weeded out the Lexus ES300's and Suburbans...

I know my bud wouldn't jip me (although we are not best friends or nothing) but I would still get an independant inspection of the cars, if I were to buy one.

Who knows, maybe I'll buy and sell for a profit and make some cash?
Old 08-23-2002, 08:44 PM
nizl

My old boss at work has an M roadster. The thing tears it up. I was driving with him ont time and he opened it up and I thought my teeth were going to shoot out the back of my neck.

BUT...

He has had HORRIBLE service from BMW, in every way possible. Several problems with the car, and they're always like "No, you broke it." After hearing his **** I will very likely never buy a BMW.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:46 PM
NiZZan
Charter Member #77

Originally posted by BullishZ

Thanks for the intelligent post! I expected some "WTF you don't deserve a Z, you sell out!!!" posts. Of course, I am just seeing what everyone thinks here regarding my possible opportunity.

My bud has offered me a list of about 10 cars all for REAL good deals... However, I have picked out those 3 since I do love convertibles. I weeded out the Lexus ES300's and Suburbans...

I know my bud wouldn't jip me (although we are not best friends or nothing) but I would still get an independant inspection of the cars, if I were to buy one.

Who knows, maybe I'll buy and sell for a profit and make some cash?
If you don't intend to drive the car for any length of time (ie 6mths to a year) don't do your "bud" that way. He is in the business of selling cars to make money. I would assume he is making you these good deals without taking a loss but, I see it as a generous offer to you. Don't take advantage of him by buying one and turning and selling it right away for a profit that should rightfully be his. Even though you are not Best Friends, I wouldn't treat even a casual friend like that.

DOWN NiZZan... get off your soap box...

No judgment just what I would do...
Old 08-23-2002, 08:59 PM
mysteriumZ
Charter Member #101

definitly sell and make a profit, and along the way u get to drive them for a while. the M roadster is a beauty. i always loved that car, good handling, style and power. i would definitly picked the M over the other 2.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:46 PM
BullishZ

Originally posted by NiZZan

If you don't intend to drive the car for any length of time (ie 6mths to a year) don't do your "bud" that way. He is in the business of selling cars to make money. I would assume he is making you these good deals without taking a loss but, I see it as a generous offer to you. Don't take advantage of him by buying one and turning and selling it right away for a profit that should rightfully be his. Even though you are not Best Friends, I wouldn't treat even a casual friend like that.

DOWN NiZZan... get off your soap box...

No judgment just what I would do...
I agree... I do have a day job...

When I said "sell for a profit," I meant that I would eventually do so... It's hard not to, since the cars are so inexpensive.

I will drive it of course (if I do purchase any of them) and enjoy it. Any of those cars would be an absolute pleasure to drive (maybe not as much as the Z)...
Old 08-23-2002, 09:57 PM
NiZZan
Charter Member #77

BullishZ I agree. I did'nt mean for my post to sound harsh. The way you explained in your last post any profit is rightfully yours.

I like the 1999 BMW M3 Conv. out of all that that you listed.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:59 PM
BullishZ

Originally posted by NiZZan

I like the 1999 BMW M3 Conv. out of all that that you listed.
Care to elaborate on why?
Old 08-23-2002, 10:40 PM
BullishZ

Wow I just checked the TRADE IN values for the 3 cars on KBB.com and I am surprised... Porsche has the lowest KBB value!!! It is at $26k or so, while the M roadster is at $31k and the M3 Conv. is at $28k...
Old 08-23-2002, 10:47 PM
bayarea-sunset

I would buy the m3 convertible,drive it for 6-8 months and than sell for a profit.Probably by than youll be able to get a z below msrp as well.How in sam hell are you getting these prices you got a knife to someones throat or something?
Old 08-23-2002, 10:53 PM
BullishZ

[i]How in sam hell are you getting these prices you got a knife to someones throat or something? [/B]
I've never been to Sam's Hell...

j/k

Like I said, a buddy of mine works in the used car business and my birthday is coming up...
Old 08-24-2002, 01:10 AM
2003WV2

I think you should look at the M Roadster. It seems like a great deal for that price. The mileage is low and you should be able to sell it easily later. If you like convertibles you could be driving one while you wait for the convertible version of the Z to come out.

The Boxster doesn't seem like that great of a price and you can find lower miles because a lot of owners don't use them as daily drivers. You also might regret not having more hp.

Stay away from the M3 convertible. It has probably been driven hard for those 57k miles if someone spent the money on the chip.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:12 AM
BullishZ

Originally posted by 2003WV2
Stay away from the M3 convertible. It has probably been driven hard for those 57k miles if someone spent the money on the chip.
Good point.
Old 08-24-2002, 02:26 AM
roberto350z

ALL of those cars were purchased originally to be driven hard. You dont buy an M roadster to obey the speed limit. You can buy a nice mercedes for that kinda driving. Just cuz the one guy bought a Dinan hes more guilty than the others?..HA!!

USED CARS

Quick Reply: Your personal opinions please?