Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Extra key on a 2004 Base model?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:27 PM
eesnas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra key on a 2004 Base model?

So I got my keyless remote off ebay and I also got a "switchblade" style remote with the key built in. I programmed both the remotes, they work great, now I just need to get my extra key cut. Does a 2004 Base model have a chip in the key? Can I go to a regular lock place or is it "dealership only?"

I am somewhat trying to avoid the dealership for little stuff like this, when I originally had asked them about programming remotes they told me a price of like $60 for the remote and then $160 to program it, considering I spent $25 on the remote and it took me a total of 40 seconds to program them I am kinda disgusted the dealer wanted to bend me over that bad. WTF are these clowns thinking? I could see if I was some geezer and they wanted to pull a fast one but I think they really underestimate the intelligence of consumers these days. Even though this dealership near me is supposed to be good, according to people on these boards, their little piece of **** stunt with the remotes was a really bad way to start a relationship with me, now I really don't see a reason to trust them.

So, back to my key, can I avoid the dealer on getting a new key cut?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:51 PM
kevincat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah 04 does have chip in them and yes you do have to go thru dealer to get it program.

unfortunately, its either locksmith or nissan to program the chip.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:11 PM
eesnas

Originally Posted by kevincat
yeah 04 does have chip in them and yes you do have to go thru dealer to get it program.

unfortunately, its either locksmith or nissan to program the chip.
Thanks, do I need the car with me for them to do it or just the other key?

Right now the car is garaged and there's a lot of snow, I'd like to just take the key and leave the car in the garage, is this possible?
Old 12-22-2008, 01:48 PM
kevincat

i believe they need all of your keys because they have to rewrite it in your ecu. and yes your car needs to be there too.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:58 PM
mclovin.too

I am in the same situation as you. I am needing another key& remote. Looks like the dealer is the only place that can do the key because of the chip.

Sounds like you programed the the new remote you got off ebay yourself? If so, got a walk thru on how you did it? I see these remotes go for very little off ebay and would be interested if I can program it my self.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2008, 02:13 PM
eesnas

i believe they need all of your keys because they have to rewrite it in your ecu. and yes your car needs to be there too.
Well I only got one key with it, and now I bought a second one, hopefully this isn't like a Ducati where you have the $1,500 "red key" that acts as a master...

Originally Posted by mclovin.too
I am in the same situation as you. I am needing another key& remote. Looks like the dealer is the only place that can do the key because of the chip.

Sounds like you programed the the new remote you got off ebay yourself? If so, got a walk thru on how you did it? I see these remotes go for very little off ebay and would be interested if I can program it my self.

Thanks
Yes, first you need to get in the car and lock doors with driver's side doorlock button. Then insert and remove the key from the ignition 6 times within 10 seconds, your hazzard lights will flash to indicate you have a keyless system in the car. Then within 5 seconds turn key to ACC mode and press the lock button on the remote, hazzards will flash to indicate successful programming. For an additional remote I think you just hit unlock then lock on the drivers side door and hit the lock button on the second remote.

Many of the ones on ebay actually have these instructions in the advertisement, it's pretty easy to do though. I'm really shocked that the dealer wanted to charge me so much, very dissapointing.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:35 PM
mclovin.too

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered one off ebay.

One question: After you program the new fob, will you then have to reprogram the old one too?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:45 PM
eesnas

Originally Posted by mclovin.too
Thanks, I went ahead and ordered one off ebay.

One question: After you program the new fob, will you then have to reprogram the old one too?
I do not believe so but when I bought the car I didn't have a remote, so I cannot answer with full certainty since I was only programming new remotes and never got the old one.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:07 PM
kevincat

you can have 3 remotes program to one car at a time. you dont need to have your old remote reprogram. but like i said 3 remote can be reprogram to one car.

here is something cool or wierd i guess. if you have 2 nissan or infiniti or whatever, you can use one remote for both cars and maybe for more cars too but i only tried it on 2.

for example, i drive my bros g35 while i get my 350z fixed, i program my fob to work on both cars. now when i park the g and the z in the same lot i can lock and unlock both with the same remote. its sometime an inconvenient but sometime can be useful.
just thought i share that.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:18 PM
eesnas

So my local dealer, which I have read on these boards is supposed to be pretty good, wants to charge me $90 to program and cut the key. $90 seems kinda high, these are the same guys that told me $160 to program a remote, something that took me 2 minutes and cost me nothing to do myself.

I hate stealerships...

Anyways, are they trying to bend me over with this $90 charge? I have heard a lot of dealers do it for free. I already programmed the remotes and they work, I just need the switchblade key cut and the chip programmed.

The guy at the dealer also said they have had "hit or miss" luck with the aftermarket keys, I almost know for a FACT this key will work no problem but I think they are trying to lay the groundwork to make me buy a key from them. I just don't trust dealers but these guys seem especially stupid, is it that they think I am too dumb to go somewhere else or is this pricing standard and I am just being paranoid?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:21 PM
kevincat

it usually cost 10-20 bux for the dealership to cut the keys and then they sometime charges 40-90 dollars to program the chip.

everywhere is like that unless you make friend with somebody that works at the dealership. otherwise i guess you just have to bite the bullet and let them charge you fort those prices
Old 12-23-2008, 12:33 PM
eesnas

it usually cost 10-20 bux for the dealership to cut the keys and then they sometime charges 40-90 dollars to program the chip.

everywhere is like that unless you make friend with somebody that works at the dealership. otherwise i guess you just have to bite the bullet and let them charge you fort those prices
Ok, as long as I am not the only one getting screwed... I swear my old BMW dealer service seemed more reasonable at times...
Old 12-23-2008, 01:24 PM
kevincat

yup when i take the bmw to get serviced, they seem to treat me alot nicer than when i take the z to get serviced at nissan

bmw dealership is sometime full of win
Old 01-03-2009, 09:45 AM
eesnas

So I went to the dealership today...

this is the key I brought in:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

They cut it but were unable to program the chip, I did all the keyless functions myself prior to showing up. The key goes in but the starter just turns, it won't actually fire up the engine

They didn't charge me for attempting it, the price they were going to charge was only $47, much better than the $90 I was expecting.

I contacted the Ebay seller to see how we can resolve this, does anyone here have experience with these switchblade keys? Do I need to buy the chip separate or something?

Other than that the dealer did an oil change and even washed the car, good service as I wasn't expecting the wash but I was very pleased they did it. It's been years since I had a car dealer serviced so I forgot about the free washing, it's a nice touch.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:03 AM
CancerJCCz

With some research you will find that
1. The chip that comes in your switchblade remote will program but will lose its programming in a week or so. (see g35driver.com) for some threads on this.
2. What everyone is doing is just pulling out the chip from their original key and inserting it into the new fob. The only problem is then your old key will no longer start the engine only turn it over.
Check here for some good info on everything including how to put in the chip from your old key. https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video...-flip-key.html

PM me if you have more questions as I have been going down this road as well.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:07 AM
eesnas

Originally Posted by CancerJCCz
With some research you will find that
1. The chip that comes in your switchblade remote will program but will lose its programming in a week or so. (see g35driver.com) for some threads on this.
2. What everyone is doing is just pulling out the chip from their original key and inserting it into the new fob. The only problem is then your old key will no longer start the engine only turn it over.
Check here for some good info on everything including how to put in the chip from your old key. https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video...-flip-key.html

PM me if you have more questions as I have been going down this road as well.
Hmmm, thanks for the info, that sucks though because I only have one key

I guess I will just buy a key from the dealer and go with a regular key, I don't really want to carve up a key and mess around with this too much. Learning the hard way here, damn.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:14 AM
CancerJCCz

Originally Posted by eesnas
Hmmm, thanks for the info, that sucks though because I only have one key

I guess I will just buy a key from the dealer and go with a regular key, I don't really want to carve up a key and mess around with this too much. Learning the hard way here, damn.
Its not as bad as It might look. I too only have one key and its chip is now in the switchblade! The old key I just have for a door unlocking spare.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:30 AM
eesnas

Originally Posted by CancerJCCz
Its not as bad as It might look. I too only have one key and its chip is now in the switchblade! The old key I just have for a door unlocking spare.
With only one key I just can't risk turning my car into a paper-weight
Old 01-03-2009, 11:41 AM
maile

My person who sold me the car gave me an extra key and programmed it for free right after I bought the car. At a Nissan dealership.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:45 AM
CancerJCCz

Originally Posted by eesnas
With only one key I just can't risk turning my car into a paper-weight
Your choice and I don't blame ya but it is really not hard and will work....but like I said that is your choice.

Quick Reply: Extra key on a 2004 Base model?