Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Incessant Burning Fart/Rubber Smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Sam Zster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incessant Burning Fart/Rubber Smell

Hey all, yesterday i was driving my car a little aggressively and peeled out, only to receive that horrible burning rubber smell. Or so i thought. After about 2 hours, i came back to my car and the smell was still there. It was trapped in the inside of my car. I drove home with the top down and the smell seemed to go away. However, throughout the rest of the night, when i was driving my car, it would make a horrible, fart smelling stank every time i put it in gear and started driving. I have had a hard time trying to locate the smell because when i turn the car off, it almost completely goes away. The engine compartment doesn't seem to smell, the brakes and the tires don't either.
So all of that got me thinking, and since my clutch is almost entirely burnt out (going to replace it in the next month, but i haven't had any slipping problems yet), i was wondering if this could be the cause of this horrible smell, perhaps due to the clutch slipping on the flywheel incessantly. Has anyone had this problem, or know what is causing it??
Thanks
Old 01-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Sam Zster

I had just bought the car a few months ago, from someone in San Francisco, that is presumably why the clutch is worn.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:29 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you clutch is as far gone as you say, I'd have to guess that it is probably slipping and that's what the smell is also. Either that, or you've been rippin' 'em and need to get your hearing checked.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Monsta

Received 261 Likes on 197 Posts

Does it smell like rotten eggs?

http://www.garage-pak.com/pat-goss-w...halitosis.html
Originally Posted by Pat Goss
Tailpipe Halitosis

Peeee-you, my car smells like a rotten egg. Now there’s a frequent comment. Actually that noxious, sulfurous, stink was spawned simultaneous with catalytic converters, so it has been offending our noses for more than twenty-five years.

Fortunately, most cars never emit the sulfur odor but those that do can trigger a tearful experience. To make matters worse eliminating the odor can be difficult and in some cases nearly impossible. An incurable odor that can bring tears to your eyes is not an amusing Commercial Three Bayspect but with some vehicles it may be part of the driving experience.

The odor comes from the retention of excess sulfur compounds in the catalytic converter. Sulfur compounds may be the result of highly blended, additive-laced, oxygenated, reformulated gasoline. Here’s how. Cars now have three-way catalytic converters, which tend to store sulfur leftover from burning gasoline. This typically happens while the vehicle is being driven at steady highway speed. When you slow down and re-accelerate or the engine comes to an idle the air-fuel mixture becomes more concentrated with fuel. The richer fuel mixture creates a chemical reaction that leads to the release of stored sulfur in the form of hydrogen sulfide. It’s the hydrogen sulfide that has the nauseating smell!

Although odor may be normal for some vehicles simply changing brands of gasoline might make it acceptable. No, this doesn’t mean one brand of gasoline is better than another but rather that slight differences in formulation can alter exhaust odor. Also a gasoline that works well at reducing odor for one car may not on another. Cars, car components, and gasolines are now so technologically developed that miniscule differences in gasoline additives combined with an un-measurable lack of a chemical in a catalytic converter can lead to smelly, rotten egg exhaust odors.

But, the Commercial Three Bayblem may not be affected by gasoline brands and therefore require repairs to correct. If the odor happens most of the time and not just following a highway cruise you may have a fuel mixture Commercial Three Bayblem or a bad catalytic converter. Either can set the same conditions in motion.

Newer vehicles are designed to operate on a very specific air-fuel ratio. Fail to Commercial Three Bayperly maintain your vehicle and any one of several components in its electronic fuel management system can fail upsetting its air-fuel ratio. Sulfurous odors can often be traced to one of the sensors used by your vehicle’s computer to maintain desired fuel control.

The catalytic converter uses various noble, precious metals to perform its emissions reduction and prevent odors. Exotics like platinum, palladium, and rhodium. If too little of one of these precious metals was used during the manufacture of your converter you may experience odor even though fuel mixture is correct. A deficit of catalytic reaction compounds can cause a converter to drop below the minimum threshold for odor control.

So, if you routinely experience a rotten egg stench from your exhaust, try different brands of gasoline. If that doesn’t work, have a skilled technician check fuel mixture, tune-up, computer, and catalytic converter. When everything is functioning Commercial Three Bayperly there should be little or no noxious smelling hydrogen sulfide coming from your tailpipe.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:35 AM
O_SO_ICY_Z

its the clutch my subaru smelled the same way when my stock clutch went out
Old 01-10-2009, 12:09 PM
kneedragger81

Originally Posted by Sam Zster
.... i was driving my car a little aggressively and peeled out, only to receive that horrible burning rubber smell.... However, throughout the rest of the night, when i was driving my car, it would make a horrible, fart smelling stank every time i put it in gear and started driving.......
Thanks
A burnt clutch has a different smell than burnt rubber. Fart/spoiled egg smell is definetly clutch. Burnt rubber was just a bonus!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Sam Zster

Lol Yeah, well i wouldn't call it wining the lottery or anything. Yeah i did just switch gasoline, picked up supreme from Chevron when i usually get premium from Cosco. However, i don't think that explains it because it is definitely not a nauseating smell. So its probably just the clutch, which sucks cuz i need to replace it but its also my only car, luckily Nissan does rentals.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:56 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Peeling out is cool.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:30 PM
quietkilla6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv
Peeling out is cool.

espcially in front of the ladies, or the mall
Old 01-10-2009, 03:29 PM
10-E-C-350Z

I experienced this once, but it was a result of me farting while burning out. The skidmarks in the road were trumped by the ones in my undies.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:39 PM
quietkilla6

Originally Posted by 10-E-C-350Z
I experienced this once, but it was a result of me farting while burning out. The skidmarks in the road were trumped by the ones in my undies.
EPIC HILARITY! im still laughing
Old 01-11-2009, 05:52 PM
vlad_350z
Banned

I had the same problem with my 2003 Z there was a bad smell every once in a while i took it to the mechanic and he told me my clutch was worn. Sold the car, and bought an 07'
Old 01-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_350z
I had the same problem with my 2003 Z there was a bad smell every once in a while i took it to the mechanic and he told me my clutch was worn. Sold the car, and bought an 07'
You know you could just change the clutch, right?

OP, sounds for sure like a worn clutch. How are you sure its not slipping? Sounds like its slipping all the time, hence the smell you are getting all the time while driving.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Z_Nick_Z

i would check your cats as well. Those tend to give off a fart like smell
Old 01-11-2009, 05:58 PM
wyoz

Originally Posted by quietkilla6

espcially in front of the ladies, or the mall
....or the cops!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:49 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely sounds (smells) like a clutch.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:14 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by bryan@Z1
Definitely sounds (smells) like a clutch.
+1
Old 01-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Dblock55

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Before i even clicked on this thread, just by the title i thought in my head.... clutch.... but if its smelling like you say it also shoudl be slipping... another more unlikely cause of the small is plastic... few months back i was drivign on highway and drove over a plastic bag which somehow got tangled and melted onto my exhaust and for the next month my car smelt like doo doo after running for more than 20 minutes..... but its probably jsut the clutch
Old 01-12-2009, 11:59 AM
2fast4comfort

like everyone else its your clutch, im in the same boat its not slipping(at least noticeably) yet. but when i work the card hard i can smell it. i know mine will hold out till spring, just not sure if i should try and hold out till the end of the first track day so its totally trashed or replace it before
Old 01-12-2009, 12:26 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't go to the stealership for a clutch, at least not without checking around for a better price and a better level of expertise. Maybe even think aftermarket?

Quick Reply: Incessant Burning Fart/Rubber Smell