2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z as only car or second car

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 10-E-C-350Z
I have an idea. These "teens" flooding the website with irresponsibility and immaturity were too irresponsible to wear rubbers while dating their Mcdonald's co-workers. This lead to babies, which lead to them sell their Z's which obviously didnt make practical daily drivers anymore, and join popular station wagon forums, which in turn ultimately lead to the site getting better over the years...That has to be it.
Not quite... you're right about dumb *** kids flooding the site though. Problem is, they don't go away.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Old 01-10-2009, 07:43 PM
tanabe350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my z is my dd and i wouldnt have any other way
Old 01-10-2009, 07:53 PM
johns350

My ZR is my daily driver - and love every minute. BUT - it is not my ONLY car. The ZR is a bit less 'practical' than the coupe when it comes to the ability to carry much cargo. So the '09 Murano helps when it comes to that . I find that I'm in the ZR full-time Mon-Fri and the Murano on Sat/Sun. Home Depot trips are a real pain in the vert - LOL.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:13 PM
VQpoweredZ

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
No, just upset they post here.

Rota, replica, and shift **** sales went through the roof!
That's funny because I am on the younger side of the Z owners, i'm 18 before you ask, and I could never get myself to buy rota wheels or anything that is a replica (and looks cheap). I take pride in the mods I put on my car. I can agree with you because every other person around my age has horrible taste in cars and they couldn't tell you the difference between Volk's and the APC rims you see at Pepboys. Its quite sad really.

Edit- My Z is my daily driver as well. It works out pretty well because I usually don't have to drive around many people. And I just keep it parked on the snowy and icy days and use my brothers s4. Better safe than sorry. I don't like to take stupid chances at the risk of the Z.

Last edited by VQpoweredZ; 01-10-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Naper-Z

I bought my 2007 z new as a daily driver over other similarly priced or more expensive cars. Yes my wife has an MDX that I can borrow in bad weather, but with snow tires, I have found my z to handle well in bad weather. I plan to keep it atleast 10 years. While I plan to take care of it, I also will be using it. With the joy I get every time I drive it, I will not regret it.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:59 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any two seat sports car makes a lousy only car. There are just too many things that it either can't do, or can't do well. As a second car, or for those who live with someone that has a "practical" automobile that they can borrow as the need arises, it can be a lot of fun.

The reason I sold my FD and bought the Z was, in part, to have a car reliable enough to DD. My wife's Ford Escape has more miles put on it than any of our vehicles, but I personally put more miles on the Z than any of my other cars. Still, when I head to the mountain to go skiing, move kids to and from college, tow a trailer, drive in snow, need to haul anything, or need to drive more than one other person, I drive the Explorer.

My life is simply too complicated and I have too many other interests and responsibilities to have the Z be my only car. Kids don't have much in the way of responsibilities, adults do. Adults tend to have sports cars as a second (or third, fourth, or in my case, fifth) car.

Last edited by dhays; 01-11-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Because I'm spelling challenged
Old 01-10-2009, 09:11 PM
SoldzMyZ

Originally Posted by wyoz
Although a Z can be picked-up reasonably cheap these days, I still see the Z as THAT special. Where I live Z's are not too commonplace because they just cannot be used as a daily driver year round without tearing it up. Therefore, I view the Z as more of a weekend toy and somewhat of a luxury to own. I saved and waited for several years to be able to have my Z and treat it just like an exotic. It's cool others enjoy the car daily, or year round for that matter. My venting really was not targeted to any one specific issue, although it is easy to get annoyed with the apparent immature, illiterate and ill-equipped who post on this site (and other sites too). For whatever reason, the realization I am in the same group of ownership with that crowd can be a bit demoralizing - guess that's my issue! Although that sounds a little elitiest, I suspect some of you can relate.

WYOMING... Yup that explains everything. Did they just get dem Au-ter-mo-beelz there?

Z's in california are common. Nothing special.

Last edited by SoldzMyZ; 01-10-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:14 PM
eesnas

Originally Posted by wyoz
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but from the few months I've been on this site it sure seems there are a fair number of people for whom the Z is their only vehicle. I may be way off here, but I doubt the majority of those who bought a Z brand-new, or new-used, did so with the intent for it to be their only transportation. I certaintly did not, and enjoy it all the more because.

Now that there are six years worth of 350Z's available, there is an abundant number of half used-up ones to be had for a very attainable price - by just about anyone. As such, it is plausable to conclude this is the very reason so many are now driving the Z as their only vehicle. I personally would never want to drive a two seater sports car as my everyday vehicle - I just do not see it as that practical and would not want to put that kind of wear and tear on a vehicle were maintenance and repair is a bit more expense and occurs quicker when driven daily.

I'm willing to bet years ago this site looked quite different; with far less people professing to be looking to buy a used Z and asking stupid questions, less people claiming to be financially independent as a teenager, and probably many more people who could at least type a complete, coherent sentence.

Sorry to those who object or take offense to my views, I just needed to vent a little about what I see going on.

Who ever said I need to be practical?

Not to sound like a jerk but what business is it to you if someone drives their Z everyday? I mean, wtf is this?

The Z is my only car, I also have a motorcycle, there's no way in hell my decisions are practical but my girlfriend has a Jeep so it offsets my lack of practicality. I will admit if she did not have the Jeep I probably would have got something more practical, my point is that everyone's situations are different- sure if I had 4 kids I would not own the Z as a primary car, but I don't have kids, my commute is 10 minutes, my girlfriend lives here and has a Jeep, and I just wanted to get a cool fast car so I decided to go buy it.

Right now it's snowing and my vehicles are in the garage, I wish I could drive my Z everyday- if not for the snow I'd be driving the **** out of it. I don't have kids and I shop light at the stores, what do I need back seats for? So I can play designated driver for people? Yeah, I had backseats in my old car, I did enough taxi service for my buddies, I actually really like the fact my car has no backseats, and I enjoy not being practical, what good is life if you can't call your own bluffs or surprise yourself now and then? I never thought I'd get another sports car but in a way I think it's the best purchase I have made in a long time, I was convinced I was going to buy a sedan and I am so glad I didn't, I have the rest of my life to act my age so why start now?

Last edited by eesnas; 01-10-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:19 PM
SoldzMyZ

double post

Last edited by SoldzMyZ; 01-10-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:25 PM
SoldzMyZ

Originally Posted by eesnas

Not to sound like a jerk but what business is it to you if someone drives their Z everyday? I mean, wtf is this?

The Z is my only car, I also have a motorcycle, there's no way in hell my decisions are practical but my lovely girlfriend has a Jeep so it offsets my lack of practicality.

Right now it's snowing and my vehicles are in the garage, I wish I could drive my Z everyday. I don't have kids and I shop light, what do I need back seats for? So I can play designated driver for people? Yeah, I had backseats in my old car, I did enough taxi service for my buddies, I actually really like the fact my car has no backseats, and I enjoy not being practical, what good is life if you can't call your own bluffs or surprise yourself now and then?

Man I really like the fact that I'm a 26 (got the Z at 24) and driving a pretty fast car. If someone is resentful that they were over 50 and getting a Z, then well too bad for you.

I for one feel lucky driving this car and am pretty responsible. Only one ticket in the Z going 70 on a 55 in the 2.7 years I've owned it. Don't street race, I do all the maintenance(did my own coolant flush few months ago and I just finished my changing my rear brakes today), and damn right I daily drive it thank god I am able to do so.

Oh, and I'm not one of those illiterate people you speak of. I'm in graduate school getting me Masters right now, and No its not a master from ITT. Its from an actual university.

Last edited by SoldzMyZ; 01-10-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:35 PM
metal_gear350

I drive mine everyday to and from work. I bought it brand new in Jan 06. It was and is my only car. There was only a short period that I had a civic for a secondary car. My car has 81k and sure it may not be the most practical it has served me good. Cost and maintenance has not cost me much either considering I do must work myself. Here is my little 3 year review.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2008-n...ng-a-350z.html
Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 PM
wyoz

Originally Posted by booey1979

WYOMING... Yup that explains everything. Did they just get dem Au-ter-mo-beelz there?

Z's in california are common. Nothing special.

Yep, you clearly got us hill-folk all figured out. As long as everyone else out there has that attitude, my state will be all the better for it and we can keep our beautiful wide open spaces, clean air, exceptional quility of life, 3% unemployment rate, no state income tax, and huge state fiscal surplus intact. Yah, weez a got it purdy gosh darn bad kumpared to California!!!

Last edited by wyoz; 01-10-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:01 PM
300zx1985

Its my daily. They are meant to be driven and enjoyed! Cant take your pristine garage kept cars with you when you die.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:12 PM
avandss

its my weekend car, and i plan to keep it that way i dont think the z is practical at all, its a toy!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:14 PM
wyoz

Originally Posted by eesnas

Clearly you did not read my post - I clarified a couple times that I was merely expressing my personal views, and was not trying to make it my business whether others are practical or not. I'm not the Z police, so relax - it does not matter to me how frequently anyone else drives their car.

I was just expressing a viewpoint to generate some different dialogue. Clearly everyone has their own take, and it appears I may be in the minority - which is cool. I figured it would be a more interesting thread/discussion than starting another repetative thread like one on views of the 350 vs. 370.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:09 PM
JEKL

When it comes down to it, the purpose of the Z is what you need/want it for. It would be a great car to drive everyday if you choose. Mine is a weekend toy. I commute 150 miles each day and I have a wife and daughter so it doesnt make sense to use it as a DD in my situation. For me it's a nice way to wind down after a long week.

It's a little on the ignorant side to say this or any car has a sole purpose. And just for the record, this is my 6th Z car and the 2nd one I currently own now. I bought my first Z 18 years ago when I was 16. So yes, I am a true Z owner, probably as much as anyone else on here is.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:26 PM
marra23

Originally Posted by rob6118
I bought mine as a second vehicle/date vehicle/weekend toy/more fuel effecient highway trip car.

Unfortunately it is really really hard to convince myself to get back into my jeep cherokee after driving the Z. I like that the jeep sits up higher, and it would be cheaper to replace in an accident, but that is it.

As a result my Z has become basically my daily driver. I just take the jeep when I need a back seat, or when I don't want my Z to be abused (walmart or college parking lots).

So much for only 10k miles a year, I think I'm at 5k in 2.5 months or so.
my Land Rover know's the feeling.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:22 AM
hpka365

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Z is my DD. I'll admit that it's not the most practical car but I'm single,don't really drive anyone around and I rarely have to put much in the trunk so it's not a big deal most of the time. The only time it's inconvenienced me was the other day when i was with my buddy and the three girls we met up with wanted to ride with us back to their house.(could be a problem putting 5 people in a car with 1 extra seat.)
I can see how it would be a bad DD for a lot of people though,especially if you're married,have kids,or live in a place that is cold or has bad roads.

Last edited by hpka365; 01-11-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:34 AM
BGuess

Ive used my Z as a DD since I bought it in 2005.

Quick Reply: Z as only car or second car