Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

And there went my car....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 11:21 PM
JackdawFool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for being a bit offtopic, but he has an auto and I was under the impression that VDC is only available on the manual?

From nissan's list of features:

Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)* - with 6-speed Manual Transmission Only

Traction Control System (TCS) on the other hand is listed as a standard feature for both.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:07 AM
drew703

Angry

Originally posted by OUCH
Well I will prolly get flamed for this but.... oh ****ing well.. I don't feel sorry for you at all, infact I find it very funny that you did such a moronic thing and your parents too are stupid for buying you a very fast car.. I guess they wanted you dead huh Oh well.. I say get another Z and put a Turbo on it this time... Or better yet what about a Bad as$ 'Stang Cobra or a Z06

Im sorry but some of that is way outa line. No one is asking you to feel sorry for anyone to begin with. You said " I find it very funny that you did such a moronic thing..." THATS immature right there. There's nothing funny about a car accident, especially one like this where someone could have been killed or hurt. You make yourself sound dumb as f*ck saying something like that. Then as for your
" and your parents too are stupid for buying a very fast car"

Who the hell are you to make a comment like that about his parents? Obviously you must not have kids (the way you talk in your post makes you sound between about 15-20 tops), nor had parents who spoiled you a little here and there, or whatever for that matter. Did it ever occur to you that maybe his parents just wanted to make their son happy? Perhaps a Z was what he wanted more than anything, and being the loving parents that they obviously are, got him his dream car. Just because your parents may not be the same way is NO justification for you to say something like that.

And for the rest of you who are giving him such a hard time...EASE OFF SOME! Seriously, everyone needs to go back and re-read his first post. He came on here on his OWN free will, and I will definitely agree with poison, it took some ***** coming on a site like this, with such a diverse and wide range of members. He wanted to share his experience, and thank people on this forum. Dont get me wrong here, I do think he's at fault and agree that the driving conditions were NOT to blame. But he acknowledges that, he said it himself that he's an inexperienced driver.

17 has nothing to do with. Not everyone gets his/her license at that age. I know people who are in their 20's who do not have licenses...Do you think because someone is 17 and driving for a full year has LESS experience than someone who is 28 and never driven a day in his/her life? Yeah think on that one...
Obviously not everyone on this forum has been through a serious accident, and so not everyone can relate to what he's going through. Although I haven't been in an accident, I have had my share of close calls, and equally important, just done plain stupid things that could have altered my life or those of others...but either way in the end, like many other members have said...YOU gain experience from mistakes like that.

RedComet- I'm sorry about the accident man, but trust me it will completely change your perspective on driving and in some ways on life. What you said in your first post shows that you are obviously a lot more grown up than some of the members in this forum who are perhaps much older than you are. I'm glad you posted your story as well as the pics..they are eye openers. Im 20 yrs old, so I'm not too far off from you. Dont let something like this get you down. Things happen for a reason (lol, not trying to start a philosophical debate either) , so just take things as they come. I also agree that you should stay on the forum, and definitely work yourself back up to driving. As far as your next car, I'm not going to suggest what type of car or anything. It's definitely good to ask for advice and listen to others' opinions...but in the end, the decision should be your own. Do what you feel is right for YOU, not what other people want you to do. You will know when the time is right, when you are ready.

Good luck with everything, and dont let dumb people on this forum get you down. They post stupid sh*t just to start drama, or because they have nothing important/relevant to say.

-drew

'03 DB Performance

Last edited by drew703; 09-05-2003 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:47 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Amen, wisdom beyond his years.

Drew, I bet you will make a good father someday being able to look at things from anothers perspective.

Sure a mistake was made in driving or no accident would have happen in this case. I am happy he lived through the accident and will be able to enjoy driving again with a little more experience in the future.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:53 AM
RedComet

I just hope the judge sees it as most of you do... thanks guys
Old 09-05-2003, 04:43 AM
dchengmd

Originally posted by RedComet
I just hope the judge sees it as most of you do... thanks guys
Judge? Were you also charged by the cops with something associated with the acccident?
Old 09-05-2003, 05:46 AM
marhot

Default Ditto, dchengmd....

What's the deal with the judge?????
Old 09-05-2003, 06:10 AM
Poison123
Google Bot

He probably got tagged by the cops for Reckless Driving, among other things. Which is I believe a automatic visit to the court system.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:48 AM
Zracer03

First of all.. Red, i'm glad your OK and glad you learned from your experience.

However, some of you people make me sick. He knows damn well many of us are going to have that "I told you so attitude", yet he still posted his mistake, and more or less, apologies. He admitted it was his fault and that the car was more than he could handle. I know for a fact MANY of you of a much older age, wouldnt be mature enough to admit what he did. Now I admit, I was one of the people complaining a few months ago that 17 yr olds shouldnt be driving this car, and I stick to it. But this is not the time to be bashing the kid. Some people need to grow up, as Red has been forced to do in a very short amount of time.

Red, good luck with whatever car you end up with.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:34 AM
cincyspider

Wow, those pics hurt!

The 350 is my 7th Z and while I've not yet experienced how it handles on wet roads, ALL of my Z's have absolutely sucked on wet roads. I can't tell you how many 360's I've done in the past, but what I have learned is to drive very conservatively in the rain and snow.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:38 AM
350ZMatt

redcomet,

I hope you have learned something, which it seems you have. Just thank whoever you pray to that there was no innocent person/child walking on that sidewalk!

And to those who criticize him or others on the Internet, who made you God?

Get off your high horses! I am glad he posted this. It serves as a lesson to everyone else here that $hit happens on the road and we should all be careful, regardless of age or horsepower.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:28 AM
cwerdna

Originally posted by JackdawFool
Sorry for being a bit offtopic, but he has an auto and I was under the impression that VDC is only available on the manual?

From nissan's list of features:

Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)* - with 6-speed Manual Transmission Only

Traction Control System (TCS) on the other hand is listed as a standard feature for both.
You've got it reversed. TCS is available on both. VDC is only available w/a manual, for some strange reason.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:46 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not taking responsilblity

Originally posted by RedComet
I would have not lost control if the road was not wet, Today I looked at the pictures of my skidmarks and what was at the very beginning of the skidmarks? a manhole cover.

You just proved raceboy's point. (as he observed)

The road was bumpy
the road was wet
there was a mahole cover
and earthquake! a flood! locusts! its not my faulllllltttttt

You SAY you are taking responsibility because you know you should and you know people want to hear it. But you posts indicate that deep down you still feel like it was out of your control.

It wasn't out of your control. You knew the road was wet. You knew residential streets could have bumps and manhole covers. You CHOSE to drive the way you did at the speed you did.

Now if a comet hit you from out of the sky, or a drunk driver rammed you THEN you could claim you were not at fault. But in your story there is nothing out of the ordinary, just a wet street, excess speed, and a lack of skill/maturity. Sorry, but them's the facts.

If I were your parents your next ride would be a Hyundai with a governer on it.

Last edited by AndyB; 09-05-2003 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:21 AM
turtles

Default About the VDC thing

Judging from his rims, it looks like he has either a base or enthusiast model. Neither of which has VDC.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:43 AM
TriX

I do feel sorry for you since it is a nice car. But I hope your parents will learn a lesson though. Better late then never. Since they bought you the car and paid for insurance hopefully next car for you will be a used POS.

Its not the end of your life though. By the time you finish college you can get another sports car. So no reason to cry there. Just think next sports car you will enjoy that much more.

2nd thing I want to add. Alot of people are blamming the wet surface. WTF is that. Driving in the rain isn't that difficult it really isn't. Its called slowing down. Nobody says to take a turn on a slippery road at 60 mph.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:34 AM
zeroday

Z+wreckless driving ticket+17yr old male=Uninsurable... Good luck getting out of that ticket...
Old 09-05-2003, 12:09 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default insurance

Originally posted by zeroday
Z+wreckless driving ticket+17yr old male=Uninsurable... Good luck getting out of that ticket...

I agree, fight the ticket the best you can. This could really jack your insurance rates through the roof.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:15 PM
peterhong

Redcomet, Hang in there man. I am now 29 years old and own a Z, but I can still remember when I was a teenager. When I was 17 I got into a crazy crash with my Mom's car and my brother's head went through the windshield. Fortunately everybody walked out of there with minor bumps and bruises, and the car took a 6 month vacation with a 15K repair bill, but you know what, I learned from it. I was sued up the wazoo and stuck in the court system for nearly 5 years and my insurance did go up, but hey everybody makes mistakes.

I could tell you it was raining, foggy, the guy ran the red light, but when it boils down to it, I was probably driving too fast, should've been more conscious of my surroundings, etc... But as a 17 year old kid, you just dont know any better and stuff happens. Dude, it could've been 1 million times worse than what actually happened. Keep your head up cause this probably wont be the last time something like this happens cause you're still young and still growing.

As far as everybody flaming you for having a nice car at 17, disregard all those comments cause they probably didn't have access to those cars when they were your age. Just because your parents make good money and wanna spend it on you, thats not your fault. If your parents ask you what kinda car you want, I know a Civic is gonna be the first choice for a 17 year old. So for all those people flaming RedComet, I think those comments need to be reserved for his parents.

Anyway, as far as your reckless driving charge, take it from me who has now been practicing law in California for a few years now, the judge will let you go with a court fine given the circumstances of the road being slippery, nighttime factor, rain factor, age factor, and type of vehicle being driven. You will probably have to pay for the damage done the property (i.e. mailbox, tree, landscape, etc..) But since nobody was hurt, the judge will just give you a nice little scolding and a hefty court fine.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:41 PM
SharpST77

damn... drive safe next time!
Old 09-05-2003, 12:42 PM
SweatyPalm

Originally posted by peterhong
When I was 17 I got into a crazy crash with my Mom's car and my brother's head went through the windshield. Fortunately everybody walked out of there with minor bumps and bruises
Anyway, as far as your reckless driving charge, take it from me who has now been practicing law in California for a few years now, the judge will let you go with a court fine given the circumstances of the road being slippery, nighttime factor, rain factor, age factor, and type of vehicle being driven. You will probably have to pay for the damage done the property (i.e. mailbox, tree, landscape, etc..) But since nobody was hurt, the judge will just give you a nice little scolding and a hefty court fine.

Sounds made up just to get this kid out on the road in his Killing machine.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:54 PM
RedComet

see the thing is, I really DON'T know exactly what speed I was going but it was not much faster than that, I reached for the brake but my foot never got there. Its my fault, should have been going slower, shouldn't have been driving the car in the first place. I can't stop thinking about this thing for one minute. I am going to traffic court b/c property was involved. I have yet to get a ticket but I think that is too soon to say. I get the accident report on monday. Insurance called me today, car is totalled. Turns out in the Z when the airbags go off, you have dash damage, something like $23k in damages total. Well, this ends my Z career, for now anyway.

To all those bashing me, you are all right, I was told from the very beginning everyone said I would crash the car, and I did. Thank god I didn't hurt anyone in the process.

Quick Reply: And there went my car....