Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

lojack vs guidepoint vs gps-protected vs etc

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:08 PM
mazymus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lojack vs guidepoint vs gps-protected vs etc

I'm thinking of getting some type of traceable anti-theft / recovery system.

seems like lojack early recovery is outdated, expensive. but it is RF, so it does go through walls

the gps types are cheaper, more modern, traceble via internet, etc, but signal can be covered

so, wanted to see what you guys have and which one (if any) would you prefer? please add any that you think is better

tx
Old 02-26-2009, 08:19 PM
L33TZOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 350Z owner here in Phoenix faced having his 350Z stolen outside a busy shopping mall.
long story short...
LoJack was disabled by the thieves. 3 weeks later it wa found stripped over 600 miles away.
The LoJack was the only serial they didnt deface off.
San Diego is real close to Mexico. With LoJack, will tracking work there? and does the local sheriff helicopter homing in on the lojack equipped vehicle have rights to mexican airspace?

I personally have GPS Tracking with real time internet tracking locator. I consider it better than an alarm for the cost. Im comfortable with it. Just make sure you have a way to charge it, or place it somewhre it can be removed when at home to give it a new charge.

Park inside your garage when at home. When out, park in a visible spot where you are not paranoid.

I looked at the fact that someone wants to steal it and it they want it that badly
theres no 100 percent way to prevent it.

Guidepoint boasts being #1 on their website.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:37 AM
mazymus

thanks man, very helpful. i think their "2T" plan lets you have unlimited internet access (for much more money of course / year) and their cheaper versions with less checking per month (~10 / month) or so. So you recommend getting the real time deal?
Old 02-27-2009, 02:07 AM
o6black350z

i actually thought about getting some sort of tracking device too... this thread might help me decide =D .. thanks OP
Old 02-27-2009, 02:25 AM
chopperman

waiting on more responses. This seems interesting.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:30 AM
o6black350z

also just to throw it out there... how much does lojack cost these days to equip it?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:08 AM
mazymus

lojack: $600-700 for basic plan (traces, but you have to know you're car's missing first, which can be hours), or add on early detection which is @1,000. Their site says it will note your car's moved without your keys and will autonotify you buy paging / calling cell / text page etc within 1 hour, but maybe earlier.

the good thing about lojack is that it's already tied in with the cops system, so that there's less of you trying to call the cops etc etc. but the problem is that the cops have to triangulate the rf signal, and even the early detection takes about 30 min - 1 hour. and you have to hope that the cops in your area do have the lojack system (which they prob do, not sure about rural areas)

but it is 1000, vs 300-500 for gps, which will pinpoint the exact location of your car in real time. they will also call / page you. but it does have the normal limitations that come with any gps systems, such as loss of signal in buildings / garages. i guess it'll tell you which garage they took the car...
Old 02-27-2009, 02:11 PM
mazymus

also, i guess the other option would be to go with more traditional alarm systsms like clifford / viper. they will also page, but there's no gps tracking.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:01 PM
urbanchaos

Just buy everything listed in this thread and hook it up. You might be good then.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:57 PM
_STEVEO_01

I have been in the market myself for a gps enabled device to be installed in my car... This could get interesting...
Old 02-28-2009, 04:14 AM
mazymus

i think clifford is coming out with a gps enabled alarm soon (1-2 months). this is per a car alarm installer guy. i'll have to look into it more..
Old 02-28-2009, 11:56 AM
CarbonZ08

Really interesting! I just installed my car alarm with 2 way pager. I want to add gps which the alarm doesnt come with it. Once I see more responses then I'll go for the best bang for the buck. Thanks OP.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:52 PM
dedmoonstears

trunk monkey for teh win
Old 03-12-2009, 07:38 PM
mazymus

Originally Posted by CarbonZ08
Really interesting! I just installed my car alarm with 2 way pager. I want to add gps which the alarm doesnt come with it. Once I see more responses then I'll go for the best bang for the buck. Thanks OP.
which kind did you get? seems clifford 12.5x has decent range / options for the money, but 50.7 might be fool proof as far as range / penetration through wall is concerned.

maybe if there was a way to get 12.5x with a better transmitter...

also, lets say you get paged. what would do? would you show up with a bat or something? do you WANT to show up to bunch of crooks jacking your car?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:43 PM
shawn_david75

No matter what you do, someone will figure out a way around it. The pro's have been jacking cars 7 days a week for years. Of course, getting a super-duper alarm, sat tracking, etc, may just convince someone to stick a gun in your face and get your car the easy way. Using common sense and having good insurance are the best things you can do.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:57 PM
mazymus

what would constitute good insurance? full coverage should cover loss of car, but there's not a whole lot of options for getting money for your other stuff you put in, such as rim, engine stuff, stereo etc. i don't have the option to get gap coverage, but i can pay extra to get $1-5k extra coverage ($50-$300 per six month) but not sure if i will actually get the extra money from the insurance company. need to find a happy medium
Old 03-12-2009, 08:13 PM
07_350z_JP

Originally Posted by shawn_david75
No matter what you do, someone will figure out a way around it. The pro's have been jacking cars 7 days a week for years. Of course, getting a super-duper alarm, sat tracking, etc, may just convince someone to stick a gun in your face and get your car the easy way. Using common sense and having good insurance are the best things you can do.
sums up correcty right there.

both lojack/gps are crap. $80 buys you both a RF detector/scrambler to take care of lojacks 173.075 MHZ signal before they even decide to take your car lol. The GPS unit is just as useless since a scrambler the size of a pack of cigarettes can knock it out immediately and it costs about $90 as well. My cousin trains auto theft task forces.... so this is 100% accurate.There is no replacement for common sense and correct insurance coverage.

I personally would never ever want to see any of my cars/bikes/atvs/boats/etc ever again if they got stolen.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 PM
SPM350Z

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

I had LoJack with the early warning sensor put in when I bought my Z in 2005...I paid $750. I have a little passkey on my keychain that has to be with me when I drive the car..if the car is driven without the passkey in the car then Lojack calls my cell phone, my home phone and then emails me...I've tested it and it took about 15 mins before the first call came in. I've got friends who are cops who say they recover cars all the time with LoJack. Between the stock alarm(I know, not that great), the club on my steering wheel and LoJack I'm pretty comfortable...but I know if someone really wants the car they're going to get it...hopefully LoJack helps me get it back.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:17 PM
hpka365

I'm getting my LoJack installed next week. Got it when I got the Z and it's ncluded in the payments. Mine has the early warning where it emails and texts me if my car is moved without me knowing. Don't know how much it's supposed to cost though. I just picked the highest level version with all the warranties and stuff since I got it for what the dealer pays for it which i think is about 5 or 600. I think retail is like 12-1500 . and if they don;t get your car back in 30 days they give you $2500,the dealership you bought it from $2500 towards the purchase of a new vehicle and on top of that your insurance company still has to give you whatever they normally would for it. so if you never see it again at least you have an extra $5000 added to your insurance money to get something new.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:23 PM
2fasst

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to get the new Viper 7901, which is coming out soon.

Then I'll install Guidepoint and LoJack.

then I'll install the Wrap Steering Wheel Lock.

http://www.blockitlockit.com/prod_wrap.htm

Quick Reply: lojack vs guidepoint vs gps-protected vs etc