Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

should I get a Z?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM
zcoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iridebikes247
Alright this is my first post on here, I have been reading about 350zs, E36 M3s, Audi TTs, and S4s for the past 6 months and its almost time to make a decision. I am leaning towards the Z because of parts, its relatively cheap (compared to the S4) and the TT/E36 are pricey with parts. Right now I drive an 01 jetta vr6 (my first car) and I am getting the Z after I graduate college. The vr6 "feels" pretty peppy I have screwed around racing people and it handles pretty well, so how much BETTER is a 2003 350z? I care about turns more than top end I have been ski racing for a long time and I appreciate a fast lap time more than a 1/4 mile. I just want to know how much better the Z really is than my old jetta. Thanks guys.
well i cant really say how much a z is better than a jetta since i never drove a jetta. i would guess the 350z would be alot better considering its a sports car compared to sedan. if you are more concerned about lap times than 1/4 mile times i would suggest maybe finding a 350z touring model since it is geared differently and would be better on road coarses. if you cant find one than the only other thing i would say is dont buy a base. if i had known more about the 350z b4 i bought my car i would have looked more for a non base model. the only thing i dont like about my base is that it doesnt have the lsd. i could care less about the other options like steering wheels controls and cc. I have a guy on here that is selling me and lsd and its gonna be pricey to put in im sure. just my 2 cents. hope it helps
Old 03-04-2009, 06:02 PM
PeterTA
Banned for NON PAYMENT

Originally Posted by Spork
You think the parts are cheap eh?
ebay..
Old 03-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Shift__Z

Originally Posted by jekl1000
This is exactly why I hate that a Z can be afforded by just about anyone.

$12k and you are considering a 350Z, TT, S4 and M3????? You will only be able to get an old a$$ high mileage one of those for that chump change. Do you just want to be able to brag to people that you drive something like an M3? But then they roll up on it and see what a POS it is?

Stick with the Jetta, that is more your class.
wow trade your Z in...and walk... You sir have no class...Im glad your a representative of the Z community.

Like many people said 12k isnt really necessarily enough to get a decent Z, I personally would rather have an E46 which will run about mid-upper 20s which is about what a newer model Z would cost. If 12k is all you have right now, save up until you have more to spend. Like somone said if your going to race I would look at a base as well. Its the lightest weighing, add your own LSD and call it a day

Last edited by Shift__Z; 03-04-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:05 PM
iridebikes247

Hm alright apparently there is some hostily in these forums lol. Well the jetta is more my class. At the moment yah I guess you're right I am a college student full time I don't have much to spend and hey I figured anywhere between 12-14g could get me something pretty decent. What I DIDN'T tell you is I have an in at auctions, and buy used cars at the value used car dealerships do. You seem to know a lot about cars, more so than me congrats. I'm sorry if I don't know as much as you. The fact is you took a direct hit at me and implied I was low class. I am majoring in economics...minoring in business...and going to grad school for accounting...parents pay for all of it....and my gas money...and my ski racing camps in Oregon...and my malibu wakeboard boat....and my downhill/road/XC/park bikes...low class? yah ok, I just lol'ed, I bet you didn't though . Now that I got that out of the way, can we get back to talking about the 350z I plan on getting right when I get out of school? thank you.

Last edited by iridebikes247; 03-04-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:05 PM
PeterTA
Banned for NON PAYMENT

Originally Posted by Shift__Z
wow trade your Z in...and walk... You sir have no class...Im glad your a representative of the Z community.

Like many people said 12k isnt really necessarily enough to get a decent Z, I personally would rather have an E46 which will run about mid-upper 20s which is about what a newer model Z would cost.

NOT TRUE. i traded my e46 in and dealership lowballed me for like 9k.

2002 325ci with like 75k miles.

you can find an e46 for the same price as a civic now a days
Old 03-04-2009, 06:08 PM
PeterTA
Banned for NON PAYMENT

Hm alright apparently there is some hostily in these forums lol. Well the jetta is more my class. At the moment yah I guess you're right I am a college student full time I don't have much to spend and hey I figured anywhere between 12-14g could get me something pretty decent. What I DIDN'T tell you is I have an in at auctions, and buy used cars at the value used car dealerships do. You seem to know a lot about cars, more so than me congrats. I'm sorry if I don't know as much as you. The fact is you took a direct hit at me and implied I was low class. I am majoring in economics...minoring in business...and going to grad school for accounting...blow me. Now that I got that out of the way, can we get back to talking about the 350z I plan on getting right when I get out of school? thank you.

drive a Z first and compare it to the jetta.

apples and oranges.
or more like
ripe apples, rotten oranges.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Shift__Z

Originally Posted by Peter@m1autosport
NOT TRUE. i traded my e46 in and dealership lowballed me for like 9k.

2002 325ci with like 75k miles.

you can find an e46 for the same price as a civic now a days
I was referring to the m3
Old 03-04-2009, 06:12 PM
PeterTA
Banned for NON PAYMENT

Originally Posted by Shift__Z
I was referring to the m3

oh so sorry.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:13 PM
*Boose*

Hm alright apparently there is some hostily in these forums lol. Well the jetta is more my class. At the moment yah I guess you're right I am a college student full time I don't have much to spend and hey I figured anywhere between 12-14g could get me something pretty decent. What I DIDN'T tell you is I have an in at auctions, and buy used cars at the value used car dealerships do. You seem to know a lot about cars, more so than me congrats. I'm sorry if I don't know as much as you. The fact is you took a direct hit at me and implied I was low class. I am majoring in economics...minoring in business...and going to grad school for accounting...parents pay for all of it....and my gas money...and my ski racing camps in Oregon...and my malibu wakeboard boat....and my downhill/road/XC/park bikes...low class? yah ok, I just lol'ed, I bet you didn't though . Now that I got that out of the way, can we get back to talking about the 350z I plan on getting right when I get out of school? thank you.

Wow you really just made yourself look dumb. Another mommy and daddy boy so sad.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter@m1autosport
ebay..
and that'll lead to a riced out car.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 PM
PeterTA
Banned for NON PAYMENT

so why dont they give you 24k instead of 12k?
if they pay for everything else apparently

or might as well shoot for the stars and get a GTR when you graduate?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:24 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kyx4n
why are you thinking about an 03 Z?? why not an HR??
and yea 12G is not really enough.. unless you want to get a shitty car with high mileage that requires a lot of maintenance.. unless you get really lucky...

but its your decision.. drive each car and decide

not very hard to figure that out, he said he is working with 12k...where would u expect to find an HR for 12k....high mileage DE is all he would be lookin at
Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 PM
PeterTA
Banned for NON PAYMENT

wow look at all the people viewing that are ready to pwn this thread.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:31 PM
iridebikes247

I should have mentioned this in the beg. of the thread. I know someone who will take me to the used car auction. I went on Galves and saw I could get a pretty nice one with 50k for 10-11g.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:33 PM
PeterTA
Banned for NON PAYMENT

I should have mentioned this in the beg. of the thread. I know someone who will take me to the used car auction. I went on Galves and saw I could get a pretty nice one with 50k for 10-11g.
youre probably right. with the trade in value and the economy the way it is now, i wouldnt doubt that. but thats besides the point of this thread and what your initial post was about. You're asking us to compare a 350z to a Jetta on a 350z forum. what do you think people are going to say??
Old 03-04-2009, 06:41 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i drove my friends GLI and that thing is garbage compared to my Z
Old 03-04-2009, 06:48 PM
MGibson24

Bikes247, sorry about all the hostility man, I'm new at posting on here myself, and all in all everyone has been pretty nice. The numbers and models you gave may have made you seem like a bit of a dreamer which apparently didn't go over so well with a member or two. I'm 24, and got my z about a year and a half ago. (I promptly totalled it and bought another, which I don't recommend ) My point being, I was in the exact same spot as you, and for three years I researched what cars I could afford and what I wanted. At 20 I almost went for an rx-8 and a TT, both of which had more miles than I care to mention. It's almost never a good idea to stretch for a bottom tier example of a vehicle. You are almost out of school, save and be patient. The next year or so will make a world of difference. (A journalism major saying this to an econ major) And when you do decide to buy, get a Z!!!! Preferably an HR. It may not have the German build quality of the other three you listed, which i would say is arguable, but the Z is and always has been the best bang for your buck. I can't walk away from mine without turning around and looking at it with a smile. It handles like a dream, sounds amazing and will continue to turn heads for years to come. Get one, drive it till the wheels fall off, and when they do, buy some new Volks for it. Happy motoring and we look forward to hearing about your new Z.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:51 PM
PeterTA
Banned for NON PAYMENT

One more thing OP, one of the biggest no no's on my350z is to not brag or make references to how your parents buy/ pay for everything you have. This forum is ruthless. Everyone will eat you up and spit you back out alive for doing so. Just giving you a heads up
Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 PM
iridebikes247

Thanks Pete. I was met with hostility, I just reacted in the same way (maybe an immature way, but who likes to be called a low class poser the first time they make a thread?) Sorry if I seemed like a *****. Anyway I am here to learn about these cars for awhile now...I have my heart set on one. I'm not a retard I know the 350z smokes a jetta but being its what I have always driven, I have nothing to compare it to. I found out about the auction through a family friend, is this something most people never get the opportunity to go to? I appreciate you guys who have been helping me out.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:15 PM
PeterTA
Banned for NON PAYMENT

No problem. I do body styling and body kits for the forum so let me know if you have any question