Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

should I get a Z?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Shift__Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im an econ major too and I second that this forum is full of a bunch of flammers that have nothing better to do than argue or flame online. In all honesty this is the least mature car forum i have belonged too. But thats another topic in another section.

Last edited by Shift__Z; 03-04-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:47 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

RSX for you!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:53 PM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by MGibson24
Bikes247, sorry about all the hostility man, I'm new at posting on here myself, and all in all everyone has been pretty nice. The numbers and models you gave may have made you seem like a bit of a dreamer which apparently didn't go over so well with a member or two. I'm 24, and got my z about a year and a half ago. (I promptly totalled it and bought another, which I don't recommend ) My point being, I was in the exact same spot as you, and for three years I researched what cars I could afford and what I wanted. At 20 I almost went for an rx-8 and a TT, both of which had more miles than I care to mention. It's almost never a good idea to stretch for a bottom tier example of a vehicle. You are almost out of school, save and be patient. The next year or so will make a world of difference. (A journalism major saying this to an econ major) And when you do decide to buy, get a Z!!!! Preferably an HR. It may not have the German build quality of the other three you listed, which i would say is arguable, but the Z is and always has been the best bang for your buck. I can't walk away from mine without turning around and looking at it with a smile. It handles like a dream, sounds amazing and will continue to turn heads for years to come. Get one, drive it till the wheels fall off, and when they do, buy some new Volks for it. Happy motoring and we look forward to hearing about your new Z.
So you mention the build quality of the TT vs the E36 M3. In all of my 5 or so years involved in motoring I would have to say that this is complete garbage. An E36 M3 has the same basic qualities as say an Enthusiast model and above. Can't speak so much for the base but can't speak so much for the 325i or 328i either.

An E36 M3 offers nothing better than the top notch 350Z models nor does an Audi TT. Maybe in interior noise and quietness, but when you're tracking a car that's quicker than everything on the track are you worried about interior noise? A Z was built to handle with the qualities and attributes of a German car with a Japanese car's price tag. Nissan can build much better cars for sure. And they do the US just does not recieve them. Look at the Nismo 380RS for instance. Expensive yes but it can bang with it's contenders in price,track, and ergonomics. So to mention engineering has nothing to do with the argument. I've driven an E36 M3, and E46 M3, also Audi's new TT's, and the older TT and can truly say I own a 350Z for a reason and proud of it. Hell, when my 06 sells soon I'm only going to go up in years to an 08 Grand Touring.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Volk350

Originally Posted by NoWin
Wow you really just made yourself look dumb. Another mommy and daddy boy so sad.
yea dude your right this kid is pathetic, he doesnt deserve to get a Z, i dunno bout you, but i pay for all my own **** and work hard for it, this punk comes in here and trying to say hes balling and stuff, naming off what hes got, **** should we all sit here and name off all our assets? haha kid is pathetic...i dont give a **** what your majoring in, truth is, in this economy, your likeliness to get a job straight out of college is low...come on i could get out of the military and get the same job that your appling for, and i wouldnt even have to get a degree. this forum isnt full of flammers and haters, its full of people that are honest and are going to say what they want to say straight up....im down with it!!
know what, stick with your jetta you homo, that will be one less stuck up little teenager driving a Z around for 2 weeks, and then totalling it....thank ya very much!!

Last edited by Volk350; 03-04-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:19 PM
tanabe350z

Originally Posted by Volk350
yea dude your right this kid is pathetic, he doesnt deserve to get a Z, i dunno bout you, but i pay for all my own **** and work hard for it, this punk comes in here and trying to say hes balling and stuff, naming off what hes got, **** should we all sit here and name off all our assets? haha kid is pathetic...i dont give a **** what your majoring in, truth is, in this economy, your likeliness to get a job straight out of college is low...come on i could get out of the military and get the same job that your appling for, and i wouldnt even have to get a degree. this forum isnt full of flammers and haters, its full of people that are honest and are going to say what they want to say straight up....im down with it!!
know what, stick with your jetta you homo, that will be one less stuck up little teenager driving a Z around for 2 weeks, and then totalling it....thank ya very much!!
why does everyone flame a kid because he is blessed with parents who buy him everything. just because he gets everything from his parents doesnt mean he doesnt deserve something. you have no idea who he is what he does or where he comes from. dont be a dick to make yourself feel better

OP if you want a z test drive one if you like it buy it if not stick with the jetta

and dont let some of the idiots on here scare you they have nothing better to do but flame people for being more privileged than you are.
i dont get everything i want from mommy and daddy, but i dont give a kid **** for being lucky enough to get a great car like this.

and in my opinion he does deserve this Z he apparently works his *** off in college and he seems like he is doing alot with his life
Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shift__Z
Im an econ major too and I second that this forum is full of a bunch of flammers that have nothing better to do than argue or flame online. In all honesty this is the least mature car forum i have belonged too. But thats another topic in another section.
You can leave, since all these "flammers" must bug you.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 PM
hpka365

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all it doesn't matter if you're getting it at an auction. 12k isn't enough for a good condition Z. I got mine in pretty much brand new condition with 50k miles in december for 1500 below invoice.(family friend runs a dealership in town) and it still costed about 17000 after taxes,registration,etc.

Secondly, there's nothing wrong with having your parents pay for your education but still paying for your gas when you're in college,ski races, and your own boat...thats too far and i wouldn't go around telling everyone that you're in a high class because you're parents buy you everything. There are many people here who make a lot of money and actually worked their way there and they don;t go around listing material items they have to prove they're better than others.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Zian

Frankly they have gone pretty easy on you for that comment.

But any bashing aside, I do have one bit of advice. You are moving from a front wheel drive Jetta to a rear wheel drive Z (or m3...). Understand that a RWD sports car is going to handle differently, the power CAN get you in trouble, especially on slippery/low traction roads, and if you push it it will only plow and understeer for so long until the *** end comes out and says hello.

Way, WAY too many Z's are totaled within the first few weeks of ownership because someone was not respecting the power.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:04 AM
QNman

Here's a biggie for me...

If it's going to be your daily driver, the Z is going to be both more reliable and less expensive to repair than any of the cars you listed.

As far as the whole "how fast is it"... well, let's just say I have been very thoroughly impressed, in that I've had my '08 for a whole month and, regardless of how hard I've pushed into the corners, I have to scare the crap out of myself to get the VSC to kick in.

Pure quarter-mile stuff, I'd put my '08 against any of the cars you have listed. I may not win on a couple of them, but I won't lose by much.

Finally, the list you've put together is a nice list. Of all the ones you've listed, I'd suspect the Z will be the most "cost effective". Meaning with the same bread, you are likely to find one newer, with fewer miles, or both.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:54 AM
joe645733

hes just talking the 350z down. "how much better is a 350z compared to my old *** jetta".

e36 m3 - you find one cheap, crap load of miles.

audi tt - girl car.

b5 s4 - again alot of miles, not reliable (problems), and you wont find one that hasnt been beatin on.

350z - i owned one. looks better than all of those cars. my friend has a mint e36 m3. perfect condition. he may sell it to you. but 1. its not as quick as a 350. 2. doesnt look good as a 350. and 3. its a bmw, if you take REAL good care of it, it will last. but you will run into a lot of problems if youre looking for a car that can handle the fun i'm sure youre going to put on a car.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:55 AM
joe645733

Originally Posted by Shift__Z
ya but if youre a member of chicagoz thats even worse.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by iridebikes247
Hm alright apparently there is some hostily in these forums lol. Well the jetta is more my class. At the moment yah I guess you're right I am a college student full time I don't have much to spend and hey I figured anywhere between 12-14g could get me something pretty decent. What I DIDN'T tell you is I have an in at auctions, and buy used cars at the value used car dealerships do. You seem to know a lot about cars, more so than me congrats. I'm sorry if I don't know as much as you. The fact is you took a direct hit at me and implied I was low class. I am majoring in economics...minoring in business...and going to grad school for accounting...parents pay for all of it....and my gas money...and my ski racing camps in Oregon...and my malibu wakeboard boat....and my downhill/road/XC/park bikes...low class? yah ok, I just lol'ed, I bet you didn't though . Now that I got that out of the way, can we get back to talking about the 350z I plan on getting right when I get out of school? thank you.
LOL, yeah you aren't low class because your parents scoot you through everything in life.

what a joke.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 AM
350z-Jim

I had a Jetta VR6 (and a GTI for that matter) and currently have an 04 S4 and the Z. I like the S4 but wouldn't buy an older one with the TT V6, it's just too old and looks old plus they are still retardily expensive to modify. Even with a few thousand bux they are still only "just" as fast as a stock V8 powered S4, so they are not even a consideration as far as I am concerned. For you a 01 S4 might be priced right, but know that the timing belt job is a $3000 repair and they all need it, so know that car is VERY expensive to maintain. I mean, HUGELY!

The Z will blow the doors of any VR6. There is no comparison to a 171hp FWD car and 286hp RWD car that are roughly the same weight. My VR6 felt fast too, but don't compare to the Z in handling, straight line, or anything else.

I would probably tell you not to get a Z though because you are too young for a RWD car. Too many young people buy them and crash them because they don't understand or have respect for RWD. They all say the same song and story, "Oh I AM mature, and never do that type of stuff like my friends" etc etc.. They all crash their cars or lose control.

Honestly do yourself a favor and buy an AWD TT or a FWD car because a pure RWD car can be trouble for an inexperienced driver and just coming from college you *ARE* an inexperienced driver.

I love VW/Audi (also had a Porsche) and would highly recommend you stay within that family and if you must have a performance car get an MK5 GTI or a TT AWD. It will be what you are used to (VW/AUDI) and much safer for you as a new enthusiast than a pure RWD car is.

Remember its like buying a motorbike, as a new rider you never buy a GSX-R 1000 you buy a starter bike right? Sure common sense, even if you don't ride you know you don't buy a 1000cc bike lol. Buying your first sports car (jetta doesn't count lol) is the same way. You don't buy a full on sports car that is RWD as your first one. Guys who do pay the price. Buy something thats sporty and FWD or AWD to start. Drive it for 5 years then goto something else after that. AWD is 90% what a RWD car is in terms of fun, but that 10% difference is what keep you from crashing.

Guys, how many "I just crashed my Z" threads have we had from inexperienced drivers this year already?

Last edited by 350z-Jim; 03-05-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:29 AM
sir captian

I read alot of post on here from dudes your age talking about how they lost control of their Z around a wet turn and smacked a curb or a tree.If you get one you better respect it because they are unforgiving if you drive them foolishley...Not trying to sound like your dad but I'm getting tired of all those I wrecked my Z threads.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Chasecbc

for me it was an easy decision. i have always loved z cars from old school 240z to 300zx they are amazing cars. ya the 350 may not be the fastest car on the block but even now after almost 2 years of owning it i still stare at it when i walk away and get a huge smile when i hear that vq scream. i dont get that from other cars. go drive a z and if you dont instantly fall in love then it might not be the car for u... end of my gay rant
Old 03-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Faboo

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
I would probably tell you not to get a Z though because you are too young for a RWD car. Too many young people buy them and crash them because they don't understand or have respect for RWD. They all say the same song and story, "Oh I AM mature, and never do that type of stuff like my friends" etc etc.. They all crash their cars or lose control.

Honestly do yourself a favor and buy an AWD TT or a FWD car because a pure RWD car can be trouble for an inexperienced driver and just coming from college you *ARE* an inexperienced driver.
come on man....for ever i crashed my z story i would say there are 2 or 3 guys who never have a reason to post their age or experiences becuase nothign happens....

I bought my car at 19 with my own money and have driven it spiritedly on some of S. cali's best roads.....not a scrathc or close call even...

rwd isnt at fault...power isnt at fault....the driver is.....i know statistics prove the "chances" are higher for younger people...but i just get a bit perturbed when i read the blankety statements about age and experience and driving

not every young person is an idiot
Old 03-05-2009, 09:54 AM
QNman

Originally Posted by Faboo
come on man....for ever i crashed my z story i would say there are 2 or 3 guys who never have a reason to post their age or experiences becuase nothign happens....

I bought my car at 19 with my own money and have driven it spiritedly on some of S. cali's best roads.....not a scrathc or close call even...

rwd isnt at fault...power isnt at fault....the driver is.....i know statistics prove the "chances" are higher for younger people...but i just get a bit perturbed when i read the blankety statements about age and experience and driving

... but they apparently can't use punctuation, grammar, or spell correctly...

Just messing with you...

BUT - I'll add this. When I was a young "whipper-snapper", I thought I was mature, wise, etc. Only with age and experience can you understand how rare it is to find someone under 25 who really IS mature... and by definition, they're STILL inexperienced. Every individual matures and gains wisdom at a different rate, and therefore (as with most blanket statements), assuming all young drivers are dangerous isn't going to prove correct.

Then again, if you study actuaries...
Old 03-05-2009, 11:12 AM
350z-Jim

Originally Posted by Faboo

Don't feel as though I am painting everybody with the same brush. Obviously that is not the case.

Think about young people as a whole. I was 19 not too long ago too. I would have NEVER been able to handle a 350Z when I was 19. If you can, then you are more responsible than I am. I would wager a bet that a 19 year olds chances of getting into an accident when driving a RWD sports car would way more than double. I'm sure you know a few buddies who if they drove your car would either kill themselves and/or somebody else. Tell me that is not true.

Of course some will be responsible there are always a few in every group much like yourself who can handle it. That is not the case for the majority. Hell some people in their 30-50s run into trouble with them and they are supposed to be mature, never mind people who really are not.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:31 PM
tanabe350z

i personally think age doesnt matter i believe that the skill of the driver is key, my 16 year old cousin kicks my *** when we go to the track and we drive the same car. he post times like 6 or 7 seconds faster than me and im much older than he is

if you can drive you can drive age isnt the factor

although i will agree many younger kids feel invincible and think they can do anything and end up wrecking their cars
Old 03-05-2009, 12:59 PM
travislee

i just bought my 03' 65000 miles, full borla exhaust aem short ram for 12gs...put about 5k miles on it and not a single problem yet (knock on wood)