Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Which color hides the paint chips the best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 06:22 PM
newportZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which color hides the paint chips the best?

I'm planning on getting a Z, and I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that the paint is going to chip on me. My question is, which color "hides" those chips the best? I've been leaning towards getting a Daytona Blue 350z, but if paint chips on that color stick out like a sore thumb, I might reconsider.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:05 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well the bumper is "black" underneith, meaning black hides those chips best(this is all bumpers, front and back, probably side as well)

however the metal is silver underneith, so silver would hide those the best. basicly the color that hides one makes the other show up the most. blue and red would likely show it clearly on both areas I would expect.

touch up paint really does perform quite well tho, I used it on my black and you cant tell unless you get up onto it, and then it looks like a surface imperfection, not even a small difference in color.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:16 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I got a clear bra on mine and not one chip! I guess I am lucky or some others roads really suck.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:22 AM
Audito350Z

I have Daytona Blue and it's showing lots of chips in the bumper and a few in the hood. I'm planning to have the front bumper repainted then 3M clear bra installed.

I do a lot of track events, and that is hard on the front fascia... lots of tiny little nicks in the bumper from track debris flinging up on the car. The hood is in really good shape, maybe two or three nicks from hiway debris.

If I had to do it all over, I'd have done the clear bra the same day I bought the car. Oh well... lesson learned.

PeteH
Old 09-11-2003, 08:25 AM
350zSpeedRacer

I've also got a DB--rock chips show like crazy. I love the color and wouldn't change it, but I wish I'd done a clear bra as soon as I got the car.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:25 AM
Dissolved

Hey Chromesilver guys, where exactly are you getting chips??? I'm getting the clear bra installed and would like to get it right on the first shot. Obviously the front bumper is my first area to cover, then side mirrors, front fenders and other places if you give me ideas
Old 09-11-2003, 10:02 AM
WashUJon

I've only had chips on the front bumper. I've had some minor hair scratches elsewhere (almost impossible to see with this color), but nothing bad. Only the bumper has chips and the black plastic of the bumper does show through. I've only got a couple that are really noticeable, though, and I did buy the touch up paint pen. I have yet to try it, though.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:06 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

DITTO on the clea bra, I don't have one chip.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:15 AM
toykilla

i think primer grey hides chips well
Old 09-11-2003, 10:21 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by toykilla
i think primer grey hides chips well
Old 09-11-2003, 12:27 PM
ares
Veteran

*waits to hear how bras look in 2 years*
Old 09-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by ares
*waits to hear how bras look in 2 years*
If I'm not mistaken, they can be peeled off without damage to the paint. Given that the paint wasnt freshly painted at the time of the install.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:58 PM
I2h8BMW

I have DB with clear bra, no paint chips after the bra. Worth it IMHO. I know I can get the bumper painted for less money but I can't stand driving my car with the chips. Will see how the bra lasts, so far so good.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:38 AM
jmark

Default Re: my "expert" opinion on touch-up paint

Originally posted by mc350z
here is my opinion to the touch up paint. i say expert opinion because i have spent the better half of every night since ive had my car touching up the bumper. if its 3:00am you guys know where im at! in the garage with a little flash light and tooth pick .

on black or white it may be fine

but on chrome silver Db, silverstone or lemans the metal flake wont lay right when you put it on. the color will look different even though its the same. also the clear coat side of the pen they sell at courtesyparts.com can get you into trouble quick if that clear coat touches an area that is already clear coated it looks bad. you can kinda move the paint around to fit the chip but dont try that with the clearcoat. that stuff will look like smeared super glue all over the spot.

to be honest the touch up bothered me more because everytime i passed the car i wandered if i could do a little better job. so i would scratch the paint off. (yes touch up paint comes of real easy. and do it over and over till i was sick!

if you really want to try dont use the brush from the bottle or the pen tip . i use a toothpick tip or the smallest art brush you can buy
i then try to put a little paint in the center of the chip. then with by finger i sort of work the paint out to the edges. i know that doesnt sound profesional but its the only way i have found to get the paint to lay down right.

ive had my bumper repainted a few times. they just repaint a ilttle section and re-clearcoat the whole bumper. it ran me about $250 a pop. the paint job was ok but since you knew it was painted you could point out little imperfections.

the only real way to overcome this nissan paint curse is get a clear bra as soon as you buy the car.
I know what you mean. I tried touching up my PPW track's bumper and it looked worse then the pit. I am going to check around locally and see if there is a guy who goes around to dealers touching up small paint problems. I had a new BMW once that had a small problem on the mirror and the dealer had it touched up by one of those guys who traveled around doing air brush repairs.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:04 AM
eljuan

Default chip repair

Ares,

hoping you can help me out - my door has a chip near the bottom of the door about the size of a small M and M - a bit smaller than a dime. The metal shows and it has gone clear through both the primer and clear coat. Good news is that its down near the bottom of the door so not as visible as if it was higher.

I put Nissan Superblack touch up paint on it, but it still shows a little bit on the borders of the touched up area. I'm thinking its because light refracts beacuse the two areas are not even. Will polishing this area make it look better? Ideally, I don't want to even be able to tell unless I'm standing very, very close to it. And if I polish this spot, won't I have to polish the entire car?

This guy at an autobody shop tells me that they have to polish the entire side of the car to blend it.

Any suggestions?

Originally posted by ares
well the bumper is "black" underneith, meaning black hides those chips best(this is all bumpers, front and back, probably side as well)

however the metal is silver underneith, so silver would hide those the best. basicly the color that hides one makes the other show up the most. blue and red would likely show it clearly on both areas I would expect.

touch up paint really does perform quite well tho, I used it on my black and you cant tell unless you get up onto it, and then it looks like a surface imperfection, not even a small difference in color.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:44 AM
DrVolkl

Originally posted by Dissolved
If I'm not mistaken, they can be peeled off without damage to the paint. Given that the paint wasnt freshly painted at the time of the install.
I think he's thinking of more of a UV/moisture issue. Paint likes the "breathe". You might get different aging (Oxidation, fading, etc etc) in the areas that aren't covered by the bra...

But then again, it might not do anything and look perfect!

Quick Reply: Which color hides the paint chips the best?