Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Gray Davis' CA car tax increase and a new Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 06:59 PM
dchengmd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gray Davis' CA car tax increase and a new Z

Since Gray Davis here in California has decided to triple our car taxes, I'm wondering when this will take effect.

Should I buy a new Z now, or can I wait? Do I still have some time before I get hit paying a ton of cash just for registration/taxes?
Old 09-14-2003, 08:05 PM
ganz

I believe we are already paying it... my last registration renewal : $630
Old 09-14-2003, 08:08 PM
350ed
Professional

Goes into effect October 1st. Buy fast.
Mine was only $230 Probably $500+ next year.
Seems for older cars it doubled the cost... weird.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:10 PM
Mikeb6986

have you guys seen the license plate renewal fee? its insane, it has literally doubled from last year. just for my moms tahoe, it was about $650.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:47 PM
300ZX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reg hike is f*cking rediculous. i though i had it rough jumping from 100$ to 300$ for my gsx, but 600+? thats just f*cked up. this money is doing nothing but paying for gray's mistakes, and the rest just pocketed to pay someones high salary. its disgusting because there isnt a thing we can do about it.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:15 PM
jreiter

I just renewed my 2000 Audi A4 for $450, while last year it was $230. Just about double. I haven't seen anyone I know get hit with a triple, though.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:25 PM
raceboy
Banned

Just keep this in mind: There was no rate hike!!! We have been paying a discounted rate (VLF) for quite a while now. I think that CA law stated that if the state ever got too far in the hole, this offset would be lifted and we would go back to paying the full rate. People have just gotten very used to it, but it's not a new tax.

I remember the first time I got a discounted renewal. I was amazed.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:27 PM
SweatyPalm

Recall Gray Davis. He's doing a shitty job.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:33 PM
Mikeb6986

it prolly goes to the 87 billion Bush and Dick want for Iraq. its ridiculous when we could use that money for so many things like fixing our roads and schools. my school still has asbestous in the floor and ceilings, now thats just not right. also, i hate driving my z on pothole filled roads.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:35 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Discount my ***** ! This is BS. They are using double talk. Yes, I remember the old rates before the discount. All I am saying is they set it to whatever they want. Actually, if they want to be fair and really try to set a cost to clean up the air then they should charge us by how much we polute. In otherwords, if your car runs clean, then you pay lower licence. Instead they charge by cost of car which is BS IMO. Why should a person that has an old poluting car pay less than someone that has a car poluting 100 time less?

Dont give me that left wing, save the world BS about being poor. The bottom line is this is hatred towards people that educate themselves and work hard to earn more money. I hate this attitute the USA has now about social engineering. How about rewarding people that work hard and are successful? If you read the textbooks they have in school now in HS it is sicking.

Not only am I paying higher taxes but a higher percentage of taxes. I hate those who say we are not paying enough. I am just making a simple wage (I am a teacher) yet I am suppose to pay more! Already I cannot afford to buy in a house where I teach but i guess I am rich and need to pay higher taxes.

Maybe I have less tolerance about those that do not succeed. You see, I know how many chances students that fail get from K-12. Teachers talk to them year after year but you cannot tell them what to do. As you might know, when you are a rteenager, you know everything right. Then later on, after they make poor choices, we are suppose to suport them by paying higher taxes. People do not just fail, they fail over a long period of time. I travel alot. I see how in other countries it is truly hard to get ahead. Look at 1st generation immigrants here. Many are successful yet if you listen to the politically correct, it is impossible for the poor to get ahead...wrong.

Last edited by zland; 09-14-2003 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:45 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, I did not realize how much this lic tax increased pissed me off. I wonder how bad it will be when I actually get my lic fee that has been raised? Bustamante and Davis, I think you are not getting my vote. Hey, with all the illegals getting licences, they are going to be buying cars right? Maybe they should lower our fees now that we have more people paying into the system?
Old 09-14-2003, 11:01 PM
Phatmitzu

Yup, I ordered mine with the $234 tax fees. But the dealer told me by the time it comes late Nov/ early Dec, it may increase to $500-$600!
Old 09-15-2003, 12:50 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Phatmitzu
Yup, I ordered mine with the $234 tax fees. But the dealer told me by the time it comes late Nov/ early Dec, it may increase to $500-$600!
We dealer traded my car so I could have it before the new tax rate went into effect. Rather spend the money on Mods!!
Old 09-15-2003, 12:51 AM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by zland
Discount my ***** ! This is BS. They are using double talk. Yes, I remember the old rates before the discount. All I am saying is they set it to whatever they want. Actually, if they want to be fair and really try to set a cost to clean up the air then they should charge us by how much we polute. In otherwords, if your car runs clean, then you pay lower licence. Instead they charge by cost of car which is BS IMO. Why should a person that has an old poluting car pay less than someone that has a car poluting 100 time less?

Dont give me that left wing, save the world BS about being poor. The bottom line is this is hatred towards people that educate themselves and work hard to earn more money. I hate this attitute the USA has now about social engineering. How about rewarding people that work hard and are successful? If you read the textbooks they have in school now in HS it is sicking.

Not only am I paying higher taxes but a higher percentage of taxes. I hate those who say we are not paying enough. I am just making a simple wage (I am a teacher) yet I am suppose to pay more! Already I cannot afford to buy in a house where I teach but i guess I am rich and need to pay higher taxes.

Maybe I have less tolerance about those that do not succeed. You see, I know how many chances students that fail get from K-12. Teachers talk to them year after year but you cannot tell them what to do. As you might know, when you are a rteenager, you know everything right. Then later on, after they make poor choices, we are suppose to suport them by paying higher taxes. People do not just fail, they fail over a long period of time. I travel alot. I see how in other countries it is truly hard to get ahead. Look at 1st generation immigrants here. Many are successful yet if you listen to the politically correct, it is impossible for the poor to get ahead...wrong.
1. They don't set the rates to "anything they want." It's a depreciation formula that has not changed.

2. The law that stated under what circumstances the offset would be lifted was passed by Pete Wilson, nothing to do with Davis.

3. Who gave you any "left wing crap?" Just stating a fact as to why the rates were going up. Not the lie that people are being fed that Davis himself raised the rates.

4. Your mistake was in becoming a teacher. Don't get pissed at the world for the choices you made. People become teachers because it's the only job where you get a summer off and then they ***** about the low pay. Man, it must be hard for you to teach with the obvious hatred you have towards you students. There are no bad students, just bad teachers.

5. There is a reason why California has a high tax rate; BECAUSE THEY CAN!! It's the most desirable state to live in. Personally, I think it's crowded enough. I'll pay a bit more if it keeps people from moving here! You could always move to Nebraska or Montana you know.

Last edited by raceboy; 09-15-2003 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:56 AM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by zland
Wow, I did not realize how much this lic tax increased pissed me off. I wonder how bad it will be when I actually get my lic fee that has been raised? Bustamante and Davis, I think you are not getting my vote. Hey, with all the illegals getting licences, they are going to be buying cars right? Maybe they should lower our fees now that we have more people paying into the system?
Illegal Aliens (and let's be honest, you are talking about Hispanics not terrorists) as a group pay in on average $1600 more a year in taxes than they collect in benefits. Your comments sound a bit racist to me, how do you manage to teach high school in SoCal? Show your students what you wrote here.

More than likely though, they will roll the discount back in because this is such a hot topic. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:58 AM
Dissident

I jsut traded my Blazer in (and got the renewal notice!) Yikes! It's, well, about triple what I paid for the Z....
Old 09-15-2003, 06:40 AM
Xeinth

Illegals pay INTO the system! Thats a bunch of statistical crap if I have ever heard it. Here in Texas (similar to Cali I am sure) its a huge ****ing drain.

First, they dont pay ANY federal or state taxes (just sales tax), because they arent here legal, and their is no method to collect them from people who are not 'here'.

Then you have the hordes of people who come to the US when they get sick or are having babies. When my best friend was a med student he had a rotation down in Brownsville, and said that all the hospitals in mexico would send all the really sick people to the US for care, or if they were pregant, including all prenatal care. About half of all expedentures were for illegals, of which they collected only about 5% of due fees. Then you have the public schools.

But seriously show me a illegal that pays income tax! Most get cash. Assuming the average illegal makes 20k or so a year, how do you figure they pay 1600 of taxes at all? If they pay a net of 1600 into the system, and get their kids educated, at 7k a pop, medical care, roads, and all of that stuff, they have to be paying SUBSTAINALLY MORE than 1600 in taxes, probably 5-6k. That isnt happening. I hate to tell you, but anyone making 20k a year is a drain on the system, legal or not. I guess I just find your stat to be totally off basis.

Finally, of course the state sets the tax rate, you can say that it was done before Davis and be technically correct (I dont know if you are) but the current congress can always change it. If they looked the other way, that complicity is the same as rubber stamping it.

X

PS. My car has been hit 3 times in the last 6 years. All Illegals, no insurance. Another way they drain the system.

Last edited by Xeinth; 09-15-2003 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:21 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

I'm not liking the "increase" either, but it could at least start with double the current rate... and then triple if need be.

Like the GG bridge toll... they went from $3 to $5 wholly skipping $4 for at least a few years or so. Slow increases seem like the better alternative.

But then again, people might complain about the constant barrage of increases (first double, then triple)... so I guess that the answers aren't quite so apparent in terms of this situation.

All I know is that since this is happening, the money had better go where it needs to be (not in anyone's pocket, that's for sure).
Old 09-15-2003, 08:01 AM
padam07

I should stop complaining about my $35 registration renewal fee then!!!!
Old 09-15-2003, 09:19 AM
nandoarc

Originally posted by padam07
I should stop complaining about my $35 registration renewal fee then!!!!

That's real bad, I feel for you guys in CA . I was ready to complaint about my $51.00 three years registration renewal.

Quick Reply: Gray Davis' CA car tax increase and a new Z