Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bummed with Z and ticket.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 06:57 PM
little_rod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bummed with ticket in my Z.....

Man, I am really bummed over getting a ticket last night. I had been thinking of ways to increase the power of my car, now this. Never had trouble in my slow truck, but this car is a magnet for everything. What is the use of modding my car when I wouldn't use it but for joy rides on the streets that will give me tickets, lol. I don't drag race, and I don't really track my car at all. I want more speed, but now I question why, all it will do is get me into trouble.

Some people will think of radar detectors, but I have had bad experiences with them, and have always thought that I could prevent most tickets because of my familarity with the road I drive. Now, I am just unsure.

I am usually good at sniffing them out, but he caught me late late at night on a road that nobody goes the speed limit on. Unfortunately, I love my car and love the rush of accelaration. Maybe I should try an outlet like dragging or autox, I don't know, just don't want to be *that* rough on my car. Thoughts??
Old 09-16-2003, 07:55 PM
dchengmd

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Basically you want to speed without the risk of getting a ticket, but you don't want to push your car at a track or an autocross.

Unless you move to Montana or some other place where some roads have no speed limits, guess what's the only way you're guaranteed not to get a ticket? DON'T SPEED.

I think you're asking yourself the right question, though - why do you want more speed? If you like going fast, just do us all a favor and do it safely and sanely. I've seen enough accident victims (both drivers and innocent bystanders) in the ER of our local LA county hospital to last a lifetime.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Uber' 350

I too have seen many accidents of speeding, including a guy on a motor cycle who cut himslef in half (leg were seperated from body) maybe a lil too guesome sp? sorry. but yea dont speed, i like to think of thirlls on how fast i can get to the speed limit, even tho in some cases thats very lil (25 mph) and that comes up quick. but its a rush and avoiding a ticket is part of that. just dont risk it. Maybe get out to the freeway @ night and do a quick run to and exit turn around a come back? but i am in no way suggesting "pushing it" i dunno. I guess yur in a bind, why not the track? maybe an easy run around a track then youll find yourself addicted to it and youll get use to it, after all it is fun track car.

hhrm, lemme know if you come up with a good answer.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:25 PM
Buub

Yeah tracking your car is a very good outlet. :-)

And get a Valentine-One. You can thank me later. :-) http://www.valentine1.com
Old 09-16-2003, 09:33 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain: I got my first ticket in the Z a couple months ago.

Ironically, it was on the way home from an AutoX.

Even more ironically, the CHP was using part of the AutoX area for high speed pursuit training, so for the entire day there were blaring sirens and screeching tires.

Eh, the lame government still hasn't processed my ticket. What a bunch of slackers!!

I was good for a couple weeks, but already I find myself creeping past the speedlimit. It's just way too easy in practically any car these days. The Z makes it even easier.

-D'oh!
Old 09-16-2003, 09:42 PM
havabooz

got my first ticket less than a month ago

WORST FEELING EVERRRRRRRRR

i used to have no worries in the world

used to cruise at 100+

now im scared to take it over 85

damn coppers
Old 09-17-2003, 03:30 AM
DruDragzOn

I never had any probs with tickets on major highways but at the same time I haven't really been pushing it that much. There are just way too many cops hiding in the bushes or behind overpasses literally. The one ticket I got was at a residential area going 35 on a 25 mph zone before I got the Z. So that got me paranoid a little bit.

I know this one stretch in route 1 and 9 south near Pulaski skyway that's real empty, right after exiting Holland Tunnel going into NJ. That may be the only road I would stretch my Z's wings responsibly. I guess my point is try and find a nice safe road to stretch its wings and do it responsibly.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:22 AM
BigBadBuford

I would definitely take your car out on a track at least once. I don't really think you can fully enjoy the car without doing it. It isn't that rough on your car except your tires and brake pads, but the amount of fun you will have is definitely worth it. I've drag raced, auto-xed and taken my Z on a road course and the track really seems to be its element.
I find myself driving slower and slower lately on the street. I haven't gotten a ticket in the Z, but I know it is such a magnet for cops I don't want to take any chances, my insurance is high enough already! My g/f even says I drive too slow.. now you know that is bad!
Old 09-17-2003, 06:47 AM
Buub

Originally posted by BigBadBuford
I would definitely take your car out on a track at least once. I don't really think you can fully enjoy the car without doing it. It isn't that rough on your car except your tires and brake pads, but the amount of fun you will have is definitely worth it. I've drag raced, auto-xed and taken my Z on a road course and the track really seems to be its element.
I find myself driving slower and slower lately on the street. I haven't gotten a ticket in the Z, but I know it is such a magnet for cops I don't want to take any chances, my insurance is high enough already! My g/f even says I drive too slow.. now you know that is bad!
I would state "It isn't that rough on your car" differently. The words of the head driving instructor at our local track: Don't worry about hurting your car out here. Your car was made to do this. (He was referring to driving it hard on the track, obviously, and not plowing into a wall. :-)
Old 09-17-2003, 06:50 AM
junglist350Z

i got pulled doing 110 on rt. 66 here in NoVA...its a 55mph speed limit rd where i got pulled...i only got a warning, but damn i need a track day to get rid of some of the speed poison i have in the Z
Old 09-17-2003, 09:49 AM
349.99Z

Originally posted by junglist350Z
i got pulled doing 110 on rt. 66 here in NoVA...its a 55mph speed limit rd where i got pulled...i only got a warning, but damn i need a track day to get rid of some of the speed poison i have in the Z
WTF?! Here in CA doing 110 mph will get your license yanked. CHP probably wouldn't let you off with a warning for doing 110 KILOMETERS/hr, let alone miles/hr.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:12 AM
junglist350Z

Originally posted by 349.99Z
WTF?! Here in CA doing 110 mph will get your license yanked. CHP probably wouldn't let you off with a warning for doing 110 KILOMETERS/hr, let alone miles/hr.
I called the cop sir? i dont know. I wasnt driving irresponsibly, was just going fast.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:55 AM
MadMax76

AutoXing is fun in almost anything, imagine how much fun it would be in the Z. I am almost ready to buy a 04 Performance and I am sure I will be autoXing in it. There are too many stupid people on the roads that don't know how to drive, so why risk it. Like Buub said "... (it) is a very good outlet", and no you won't hurt you car and yes it was made to do just that!!! Good luck and have fun.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:57 PM
little_rod

yeah, guys thanks for the support, keep it up, I need it, lol. Really, I am not talking about driving like a manic at all. I usually take turns swiftly, and interstate onramps are meat, but other than that, I try to stay within the law. In town, I really try to stay within the limits and on long trips I do too. Maybe it just makes me madder that this particular interstate is one I travel almost everyday, and EVERYBODY goes 70-75 on it. So 75 on this road gave me a major headache.

Right now, I have my mom (lol) working to see if I can get the ticket torn up. We know a lot of the police around here, so I hope something can be done. Unlike a lot of you guys in Cali and such, this is a rare car here. You don't see modded Zs around here at all, heck you barely see other Zs. With my wheels and such, I still get stopped everytime I turn the key off other than in my garage.

So my car really sticks out here, and I have been stopped before, twice. Warnings both times, I think they were looking at the car more than trying to give me a ticket, heh.

As for more speed, I am still really undecided on that, thought I needed it, now I am just not sure. Drove an ol' 300Z with the boost turned up, and man did I like that kick in the pants. Decisions, decisions........

Last edited by little_rod; 09-17-2003 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:44 PM
marhot

Default Good site...

You need this information http://www.speedtrap.org/

Check the list for your state
http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/stetlist.htm

Hope it helps...
Old 09-17-2003, 02:34 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Just get a few friends with cell phones to watch some freeway onramps for cops.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:41 PM
350zroadster

Don't ever speed too much during nights. Too many disadvantages.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:49 PM
MastaKillaZ

I feel ya... when I drove my pathfinder, never got pulled over.. but in this car it attracts a lot of attention... but even worse, it takes some conscious effort to go the speed limit in this car cause just tapping the accelerator gets you over... it's hard cause you feel like you're always fighting to resist the purpose of having a sports car when you're driving... never had the same kind of temptations in the pathfinder... but trust me, you gotta fight it cause tickets add up and then no license and then no car = no fun.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:52 PM
BFG10

Originally posted by DruDragzOn

I know this one stretch in route 1 and 9 south near Pulaski skyway that's real empty, right after exiting Holland Tunnel going into NJ. That may be the only road I would stretch my Z's wings responsibly. I guess my point is try and find a nice safe road to stretch its wings and do it responsibly.
I like that stretch too, it's about the only place I've taken my Z over 100mph. And I've never seen a cop there. But that road is not as empty as it used to be. But overall I'm generally pretty careful with my speed.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:40 PM
Buub

For the record, I don't support the premise that "speed kills". Yes, driving irresponsible is dangerous and.. um.. irresponsible.

But speed is not directly correlated in that. I believe you can drive both "assertively" and defensively at the same time. This means watching everything that's going on around, anticpating drivers in front of you doing something stupid before they do it, signaling ALL your lane changes, not cutting people off, not reacting emotionally.

I firmly believe you can drive fast AND drive safe if you really put your attention into it. Speed limits are for the sheep.

However, I think street racing is just asking for injuries and death. It's stupid and unnecessary. Maybe your streets in your town are empty enough to do it, but not any streets anywhere I live.

Yes, I speed consistently. But I choose my speed deliberately and based on a realistic assessment of my surroundings and my own limits. I don't let the speed (or lack) of other drivers around me determine my speed or my driving style. If I have to pass someone on the right (frequent occurance in the Seattle area, sadly) I maintain my intended speed while passing and after passing. I don't stomp on the gas whip around them, then either slow way down, or continue driving really fast for another mile. If I chose 74MPH, I will continue to drive 74MPH while passing, and after passing.

Anyway, my point is that it's possible to drive fast AND drive safely. But it takes a conscious effort and a mature attitude. And don't expect the cop to understand when you try to explain it to him. :-)

Quick Reply: Bummed with Z and ticket.....