Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Beware: Screw-on tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 08:15 PM
markt71Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware: Screw-on tire pressure sensors

When I bought my Z, these sensors were on the tires. I never really gave them much attention. I thought that at least if the pressure was low on a tire and I happened to see it, it might give me a warning. Well, this evening I get a low pressure warning on the computer for my front left tire (17psi)....took me a while to figure out what the beeping was.

Luckily, I was at the end of my driveway. I pulled back into the garage and checked the tire. First off, you really can't tell by looking that a tire is low with 18's. I checked the pressure with my air gauge...sure enough 17psi. I did a visual check for nails, etc. and found nothing. I put 35 lbs back in the tire, screwed on the pressure sensor and the sensor was leaking....quality product, huh. These are coming off immediately. I sure am glad I was close to the house. I've attached a picture of one for those that don't know what I'm talking about. Anybody else had this problem?
Attached Thumbnails Beware: Screw-on tire pressure sensors-tire_pres.jpg  
Old 09-20-2003, 11:19 PM
cckleung

Sounds like the pressure sensor is very easy to be removed. I wonder how much does it cost? Do you think people will steal it?
Old 09-21-2003, 06:43 AM
markt71Z

They just screw on and are very succeptible to being stolen. The point is that if they fail by letting pressure out of your tire what good are they. I took all of mine off last night and replaced them with some simple chrome caps I got a WalMart for 2 bucks. The good thing is that the internal tire pressure sensors worked like a charm.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:06 AM
Buub

Why would you even put these on if your car has a tire-pressure meter built into it?
Old 09-21-2003, 07:52 AM
Gunnar

Default Here is a question

about tire pressure sensors. If you replace you stock tires and rims, will they still work? (the one from the factory). Will they work with every size of rim and tires?
Old 09-21-2003, 08:22 AM
dchengmd

Default Re: Here is a question

Originally posted by Gunnar
about tire pressure sensors. If you replace you stock tires and rims, will they still work? (the one from the factory). Will they work with every size of rim and tires?
I recall reading a thread about this. Apparently the sensors will work with new rims/tires, but you have to make sure to have the installer transfer the sensors over when the tire is being mounted. I believe the sensor is located at the stem, but I may be wrong.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:27 AM
SweatyPalm

If you replace the Salami in your sandwhich with bacon strips, will it still taste like Salami?
Old 09-21-2003, 09:04 AM
Gunnar

If you replace the Salami in your sandwhich with bacon strips, will it still taste like Salami?

While this may a be a good question for some, it doesn't answer the questions about sensors, you funny person you.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:14 AM
SweatyPalm

How does it not answer your question?
This forum is full of anything....when i look at the title, I was like "finally someone get screwed by a screw".
Old 09-21-2003, 09:17 AM
Gunnar

nah I got it. It was my attempt at some dry humor, which by the way I'm not to good at, obviously
Old 09-21-2003, 12:14 PM
markt71Z

Originally posted by Buub
Why would you even put these on if your car has a tire-pressure meter built into it?
I didn't put them on.....the dealer did. It was part of a tire/wheel warranty that I purchased. The warranty was pretty reasonable. The pressure sensors were just a throw-in to make it more palatable, I suppose. I said the same thing to the dealer about the computer pressure sensor and he kinda looked at me with a blank stare. You can buy these at Autozone for $10 for a set of 4, but I wouldn't waste your money.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:47 PM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the information, I was about to buy these.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:00 AM
PartsPeddler
Sponsor
Courtesy Nissan

I am just wondering if the failed part is under warranty. Won't they replace it for free? And is the failure a common problem or just a fluke?

Steve
Old 09-22-2003, 01:30 PM
bshockley

It's not a matter of transferring them from what I was told. I was told that the new wheels would need to be designed for pressure systems, otherwise they won't work.

Also, as far as new wheels are concerned, I was told that the wheel width should not be deviated from the stock. The diameter can go up all it wants etc, but not the width. Something to do with VDC.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:16 PM
markt71Z

Originally posted by PartsPeddler
I am just wondering if the failed part is under warranty. Won't they replace it for free? And is the failure a common problem or just a fluke?

Steve
That's really why I was asking if anyone else has had this problem if they used these sensors. Not sure if it was a fluke or a common failure. The bad part about this kind of failure is that it lets air out of the tire when it fails. That's why I took mine off until my confidence level is better. I plan to gripe to the dealer. Maybe they will give me some locking Z caps in exchange.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:26 PM
Buub

Default Re: Re: Here is a question

Originally posted by bshockley
It's not a matter of transferring them from what I was told. I was told that the new wheels would need to be designed for pressure systems, otherwise they won't work.
I've never heard a wheel "designed for pressure systems." I don't buy it.

Also, as far as new wheels are concerned, I was told that the wheel width should not be deviated from the stock. The diameter can go up all it wants etc, but not the width. Something to do with VDC.
That's the opposite of how it works. The VDC has no idea how wide your wheel works, nor does it care. It cares how big the wheel is and how many RPMs it turns at a specific axle speed. It uses the relative speed between the wheels to determine if you're slipping a wheel, or locking one up. The diameter of the wheel will affect this. The width will not.