Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What other sports cars get cross-shopped with Zs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:18 AM
aduke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What other sports cars get cross-shopped with Zs?

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine who is planning on buying a new 2010 Camaro soon and it got me thinking about what cars are actually cross-shopped with Zs. He wouldn't even consider a Z, basically because its not American. On the other hand, it seems like a lot of people who drive Zs or other sports cars wouldn't consider a Camaro or Mustang because of the weaker handling, or because they are American, or maybe for other reasons.

Anyways, post what other cars you thought about / compared when you bought your Z, and/or what other cars you would look at if you were thinking about buying a Z now.

Two assumptions:

1. Sports/sporty cars only.
2. Relatively similar price range. Lets say like base corvette/boxster-ish on the high end.

Personally, when I bought my Z I thought/read about the WRX, evo, mustang, rx-8, corvette, lexus IS, and BMW 3-series. I eliminated the vette and 3-series on price, eliminated the WRX/evo on looks, and decided I didn't like the 4 door on the lexus.... so I test drove a Z, rx-8, and mustang and bought the Z.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

your list is pretty damn accurate and a lot of people narrow it down to the Z for the very same reasons. you could add in some older model cars and you could add in some stupid crap like chargers/challenger / s2000 / civic si / the almighty acura rsx-s etc, but how many cars in the genre are you looking to add to the list? :P
Old 05-12-2009, 08:23 AM
iceman21_23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well u can add the camaro to the list now

Last edited by iceman21_23; 05-12-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Lento

Originally Posted by aduke
I was having a discussion with a friend of mine who is planning on buying a new 2010 Camaro soon and it got me thinking about what cars are actually cross-shopped with Zs. He wouldn't even consider a Z, basically because its not American. On the other hand, it seems like a lot of people who drive Zs or other sports cars wouldn't consider a Camaro or Mustang because of the weaker handling, or because they are American, or maybe for other reasons.

Anyways, post what other cars you thought about / compared when you bought your Z, and/or what other cars you would look at if you were thinking about buying a Z now.

Two assumptions:

1. Sports/sporty cars only.
2. Relatively similar price range. Lets say like base corvette/boxster-ish on the high end.

Personally, when I bought my Z I thought/read about the WRX, evo, mustang, rx-8, corvette, lexus IS, and BMW 3-series. I eliminated the vette and 3-series on price, eliminated the WRX/evo on looks, and decided I didn't like the 4 door on the lexus.... so I test drove a Z, rx-8, and mustang and bought the Z.
^ you pretty much nailed the list for new cars. Maybe add an S2000

If cross shopping used, maybe a 2006 or < M3
Old 05-12-2009, 08:30 AM
JEKL

I considered the Z, a Boxster and S2000. At first I thought about going new and it was a toss between the new Camero and the 370Z.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:31 AM
aduke

I guess what got me thinking about it was how my friend wouldn't consider a japanese sports car because he was such a fan of American muscle cars...

I said I thought about the Evo and WRX but really I barely paid attention to them because the way they look turned me off so much... they perform great but I am not a fan of the tuned compact + spoiler/scoop look.

Same way with the S2000, miata, and Z4... well besides the Z4s price, they are all too small for me. I am a bigger guy and I felt like I'd look like donkey kong in super mario kart driving them around. plus there is a stigma attached to miatas.

Guess that is kind of what I was thinking about... for people who have actually bought Zs, what other cars would you really consider? in the end the only ones I really considered were the rx8, mustang, and Z. Ended up with the Z cause I liked the look the best, was worried about the rx8s reliability, didn't like its lack of low end "oomph", and didn't like the softer suspension/handling feel of the mustang.

What other cars did you guys really narrow it down to?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:00 AM
xben9x

Since I just picked up my Z at the end of March, thought I'd pitch in. The only other cars I was very interested in was the G35 coupe, Lexus SC430, and a Z roadster.

Having owned a 3000gt, GST eclipse, and driven a GSX, I thought about an Evo, but I think i'd get tired of the looks. Never wanted to go WRX.

I've driven a G, Rx8, Miata, ridden in an S2000. The S2000 seems cramped compared to the Z roadster. Rx8, just isn't for me. Miata's are too tiny, quick little buggers though. Fun as hell.

What is basically came down to is the G, Lexus, and Z Roadster.

As for the american muscle, I just don't care for american cars. Shame shame I know. The camaro is a striking vehicle, but the Z is more for me. It does impress me that the V6 camaros, I believe, rev to 7 grand.

There's too many mustangs around me. To me they are the poor people's rich car. The new '10 style is pretty aggressive looking.

I guess overall it was time for a bit more luxury. The other cars didn't seem to have that "wow" factor that the Z or even the G gives to me. They're just solid cars in general. I'll shut up now.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:21 AM
nismonian

well before i bought my z i was debating between z,m3,sti,i really wanted a two door so i was leaning for the z and m3 more so i began to do alot more reasearch towards those two cars and figured i didnt want to spend over 25k so i saw that 02 and 03 m3's in real good shape were going for 22-27k plus i didnt want to have to worry about very expensive maintenance and the fact that 07-08 z's were very similar in performance and that most people would think its another 3 series anyway. So i went to nissan and they had a brand new 08 on the lot (last one btw) and i went out for a test drive negotiated down to 23k otd and brought the car home that night and i been loving it ever since.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I test drove a WRX (didn't bother with the STI after), evo, rx8, rsx s, civic si, c5, mudstain gt, s2k. I wish I would have driven a G8 / GTO as I wouldn't mind being in a v8 but didn't think of them at the time. I was also considering waiting for the Camaro, but the entry point for the SS was too high and I didn't feel like saving and waiting.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you add the Camaro to a sports car list when it is the heir to the muscle car family?

All the category American cars are pretty quick, but they sacrifice handling for that 1/4 mile thrill.

The Euro Cars are more geared toward luxury with that sport feel.

The Asian Cars are geared toward all out performance with speed and handling with the potential to increase the outcome on both ends.

More or less they usually categorize vehicles these days from the price range that they are in rather then anything else.

Personally i go for handling and speed in one vehcile that i can work on to make a tad better then what factory specs allow.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 05-12-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 PM
ZBigDog

No comparo for me...I've been in love with Z's since I was a little guy and saw my first 280, when I realized I could afford a 350 the only comparison shopping was between colors and trim.....

If I were to compare today that is, I would drive an S2000, G and 370.......

And I guess I'll be the first to say, you may wanna compare to that Hynduai Genesis coupe, sue me
Old 05-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Z04

never considered another car. a Z is a Z and went with its history as a deciding factor

Last edited by Z04; 05-12-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:45 PM
JohnnyB350Z

+1
Old 05-12-2009, 01:15 PM
zettahertz

no lotus fans?
Sometimes i wish i got a lotus elise.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ go with a go cart its cheaper!
Old 05-12-2009, 02:38 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only other car i shopped was a Cayman. I liked it, but for the price of the Cayman, I could have bought a 350Z coupe AND a 350Z roadster.

The Cayman is great, but it ain't worth twice as much as a Z.

bill
Old 05-12-2009, 02:45 PM
richiesaurusrex

i was actually wanted to buy and fix up a muscle car of some sort but never got too far into the idea. instead got the z and modding it seemed more fun for now.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:08 PM
driver350

The only other car I cross shopped the Z was a mini-van.... and I choose the Z... before the 350z it was 300zx, before the 300zx it was a Z31... so I'm still in the market for a mini van
Old 05-12-2009, 06:25 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

GTO and RX-8, but that was back in 06 when they still built the GTO. I care less about looks and more about performance and sophistication. it just so HAPPENS that the car with the best mix of qualities i desired was also extremely good looking.

I get the feeling that a lot of people who buy Z's put looks pretty far up on their list of qualities they look for in a vehicle. That's probably why fewer people cross shopped WRX's, EVO's GTO's and sedany looking BMW's than perhaps expected.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Adrians07Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was looking it was between a s2000, c5 corvette, z4, or the Z

s2000 - to small, not enough power, annoying high revving engine (cool at first but just annoying after 5 minutes)

c5 vette - too expensive / too many miles on used one in my price range / insurance ( I did want the LS1 and 6 speed though BAD )

z4 - thought they looked awesome, but saw some around town and they begin to look gay or a little snobby ..also high maintenance price for a beamer

350z - pretty much brand new (3000 miles), fully loaded (except nav), looks sexy as hell, and is pretty quick .. so it wins

Quick Reply: What other sports cars get cross-shopped with Zs?