Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Keep or Drop Warranty - 6 Months Later w/Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 02:36 AM
djcetra

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keep or Drop Warranty - 6 Months Later w/Mods

I need some opinions here on what I should do. I bought my 06 AT Enth Z about 6 months ago (Currently at 37,000 Miles) and with it decided to take the 100K/7Year Extended Warranty which ran me a little over 2K. I thought about keeping the warranty to be safe but since buying the car have added a Kinetix Upper Plenum, Greddy Evo2 Exhaust, & A JWT Popcharger so far..

A couple of friends have been advising to drop the warranty because they claim that if I DO have a problem with the car Nissan is going to end up telling me whatever goes wrong has been caused by my aftermarket parts. Wouldn't they have to prove that it was caused by the parts? Or are they going to shoot back and me and tell me to prove it wasn't?

The question here isn't whether or not the car will break down but rather if it does will they more then likely screw me and weasle out of the warranty? In the next year I plan on adding HFC and then Reflashing/Tuning the ECU which will probably at that point deffinately void my warranty but until then? Should I just drop the warranty now or am I safe? I don't feel so safe about it, I don't trust the dealership... I haven't been having any problems with the car or anything but would like to knock off money from the price I'm paying if it's not even going to protect my ride.

Some nice advise would highly be appreciated, any others with run ins with the dealerships in this type of situation? Thanks again.

Last edited by djcetra; 05-24-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:11 AM
Smackin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my Nissan extended warranty, they only allowed you to cancel within 30 days or purchasing it. Hopefully its different with yours.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:51 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you drop the warranty you will need a new transmission.
If you keep the warranty you will have 150,000 problem free miles.
Life is funny that way.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Dsmashin

Originally Posted by davidv
Life is funny that way.
+1
Old 05-24-2009, 10:59 PM
djcetra

Originally Posted by Smackin
With my Nissan extended warranty, they only allowed you to cancel within 30 days or purchasing it. Hopefully its different with yours.
Mine is different, I couldn't cancel until after 6 months so I'm eligable in June.

Originally Posted by davidv
Life is funny that way.
So true..
Old 05-25-2009, 05:39 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn it opps sorry.

Last edited by Chad68; 05-25-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:41 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL was reading this thread as he was listing his mods and I was like wow I know those people make parts for the Z, had no idea they made them for Tacomas as well, then when I got to the popcharger, realized I wasn't on the Tacoma board anymore. Damn I'm tired.

I would get your money back on the warranty if I was you. Had a 100,000 mile ext. warranty on my truck I bought new. Long story short Nissan told me to take a hike on my Transmission noise and when it broke down in the middle of a busy intersection 2 weeks later, I paid a grand (not including the tow) to get it fixed by a trans shop out of my pocket.

Cost me over a grand to fix it plus the grand I wasted on the warranty. 2 G's down the sh!tter. Said it before, say it again, the only thing I buy extended warranties on is cell phones and that's it.

That was the main reason why I didn't want to buy my Z or any Nissan again but the Z is well bad ***, despite it's stupid issues and quirks.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:47 AM
Z04

tell your friends they are full of crap for insisting those mods you listed will void your warranty.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2008-n...estions-2.html

Q: Will mods void my warranty?

A: A dealership cannot "void the warranty on the whole car" just because you have a JWT popcharger or aftermarket wheels. If they are trying to deny warranty service, they must prove that the mod caused the problem.

Of course, adding a turbo kit (for example) can put a lot of stress on the engine itself, as well as to the drivetrain. Don't be surprised if the dealer refuses to perform warranty service on a heavily modified car, that's just common sense.

This is all part of the "Magnuson-Moss" Warranty Act, which protects consumers against shady business practice by:

Quote:
The Act makes it easier for purchasers to sue for breach of warranty by making breach of warranty a violation of federal law, and by allowing consumers to recover court costs and reasonable attorneys' fees.

(In short, if they try to void your warranty and your mod could not have caused the problem, sue the bastards...)

More info can be found here
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm

THAT SAID, if your mod *did* cause the problem, then it's your problem and you have to deal with it.

Last edited by Z04; 05-25-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:01 PM
costilla

Originally Posted by Z04
tell your friends they are full of crap for insisting those mods you listed will void your warranty.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2008-n...estions-2.html
Nice!