2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does this mean?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

here is my idea. Go take your car back. Drive it hard a day or 2. Take it to another shop and just tell them another shop said there was a clanging sound. Let them diagnose it and if it is the same diagnosis then get it done. If it's not and or not even an issue to worry about then just shut up and drive.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 AM
LehighGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me clear a few things up that I suppose I should have mentioned previously...

1) It is NOT the normal Z clutch noise because it only started making this sound recently, after being "worked on" by this shop.

2) I cannot take the car to another shop because this shop did the initial work on the car that seems to have caused the problem. Thus, they feel responsible (as they should) and are required to fix it - as per the warranty company's feelings.

3) The exact sound is extreme clutch chatter starting in 1st from a stop. Each time the clutch is in the act of engaging/disengaging, the noise comes out. But NOT while driving, only starting in first.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How about you also mention what kind of work that it had previously before making the noise. That would narrow it down a lil further.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:51 PM
LehighGuy

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
How about you also mention what kind of work that it had previously before making the noise. That would narrow it down a lil further.
Previously, the same trans shop replaced the clutch, bearings and syncros in an effort to fix a grinding 5th gear (which has been cured).

Just this afternoon I spoke to a technician and he said they think it is a throwout bearing. They are replacing it this weekend. Does this sound right?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Fletch69z

Are you talking about the rear end?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:46 AM
LehighGuy

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
Are you talking about the rear end?
I wish I knew. Clutch feels weird as hell, almost like it is about to stick to the floor and not come up.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:49 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wonder if they properly bled the clutch? Air in the line could contribute to your problem, especially if the clutch feels sticky coming back up. Just a thought...
Old 07-22-2009, 05:57 PM
LehighGuy

They called me today saying they replaced the throwout bearing, and it didn't help the noise. Eff this place, they have had my car for so long. They now claim that Z's just have noisy transmissions, and that the noise is "normal". Yeah right, my car ran PERFECT until the day I got it back from Cottman Trans when this noise started. F*** them.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 PM
B WoolZ

Dude... I feel bad for you. There's not much worse than feeling helplessly F'd by someone who you're paying (or your warranty company is) to help you. Kinda how i feel about police (sorry if youre a cop).
Anyhow... Moving on... What kind of warranty? I ask because i have an 03 track model with Nissan warranty. They require the warranty service to be done at nissan. Furthermore, because of this, they don't fix transmissions- at all... they REPLACE them with NEW transmissions. Ask me if its true. tomorrow, they are replacing mine for the second time. the first time I thought it needed it. This time, they told me it needed it. So... WTH... Let them. I get a new transmission and they get to pay their tech who gets to feed his family. Its a win win for both of us.
The moral and my advice... take your car to Nissan. Your warranty should cover dealer repairs if its any kind of decent warranty. The sad side is that some warranties have limits to repair costs. Good luck to you. And F Cottman Trans! They obviously dont know Jack from Isht.