Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket parts and insurance company

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Mitsuomi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket parts and insurance company

I've been told several times by a few people i should goto the insurance company and show them receipts of all the aftermarket parts i've bought/installed on car so they cover them incase i have an accident.

How does the insurance works with aftermarket parts? I have full coverage, my monthly fee is already kind of high, and it would kind of suck if they increased it because of the upgrades. Don't get me wrong, if i have to pay extra ill pay.
But i just want to know if i should show them receipts of everything i've bought so far, or if i can just keep copies at home and show them if i ever have an accident.

Oh also.. I don't have original invoices for some of the peices, i just have the print out papers i got online. do they accept those or do i need to contact the seller to send me original invoice?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:07 AM
xben9x

Consider me ignorant, but why don't you just call your insurance company???

Don't tell them who you are and just say I'm looking to get a xxxx that has aftermarket parts and you wondered if that affected the rates? Or what there policy is regarding aftermarket parts...That's what I'd do, but mines still stock = )

I've heard there is a "special insurance" probably an add on for aftermarket parts. But again, that's what I'VE heard.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

From what my State Farms agent to me in Texas. Any part that is in a stock location is covered. However, she then went on to say that they offer special insurance policies for high dollar items like fancy rims and BBKs...ect...
Old 07-29-2009, 12:06 PM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to purchase custom/additional equipment add on, if you want those parts covered. If you are in an accident the ins company will return your car to stock form(that is what you are paying for).

<----Insurance Agent/Manager
Old 07-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have all state and my rep told me that it will be up to the case reviewers discretion if they want to cover aftermarket parts or not.. told me to keep receipts and hope for the best, lol!

thankfully OEM prices usually are pretty par with the aftermarket **** and you can get a check cut big enough to cover it. I know the oem wheels are given some pretty ******** pricing if they go through the proper channels like dealerships.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CRIDDA
You have to purchase custom/additional equipment add on, if you want those parts covered. If you are in an accident the ins company will return your car to stock form(that is what you are paying for).

<----Insurance Agent/Manager
I like you less now. Should have kept your job to yourself
Old 07-29-2009, 12:13 PM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille
I like you less now. Should have kept your job to yourself
I am your best friend, trust me(I help in ways that I should never help)

So if you ever have a question or feel you are being screwed, drop me a PM and I will see what I can do to help.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:21 PM
keniff536

If you have a good insurance company, aftermarket parts should be covered. If you have renters or home owners insurance, even things in you car are covered. No need for receipts for parts if your car is wrecked, the proof is right there on the car. If the car is stolen you made need to prove what you bought. Something flew up and dented my hood and front quarter panel a while back. My company fixed all that and paid for a new clear bra because it was damaged and had to be removed for the repairs.