Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

VW guy getting ready to buy a Z... maybe...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Shifty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VW guy getting ready to buy a Z... maybe...

My name is Rob, better known to some as "Shifty". I've been a VW enthusiast for over ten years now but I've always had a soft spot for all Z-cars. I own a custom paint and body shop called Shifty's Spraywerkz near downtown OKC where I have built quite a few custom watercooled VWs, one of which is my diesel New Beetle.

As you can see I race the bug in SCCA events (with pretty good success I might add!). Even though I LOVE this car, I am sick and tired of FWD. I find myself being complely envious of you guys hanging the tail out in your RWD cars, and I'm ready for the new challenge of a different platform. SO the Bug is for sale! Now here's my dilemma:

I have basically narrowed the search to two cars - the 350Z and the Mazda RX8. Please don't post a bunch of fanboy bashing against the RX8. The reason I have considered the RX is, of course, it's 50/50 weight dist and great performance, but also the fact that it has a rear seat and is more comfy to drive around town than a Z. Being married with two kids makes this a big deal. Having said that, this vehicle would be our third car and would be more of a weekend warrior than anything. Also, the Z looks 1,000x better and is one of my top 3 "Cars I Will Own Someday".

I have also considered the G35 Coupe, but it's a little more money and heft than I would like. Because I intend on racing this car in it's Stock SCCA class, I want the best possible package for racing. Another consideration is I'm looking at spending no more than $14k, so my choices are pretty limited.

Tonight I had a bit of a nibble from someone who may be interested in trading a 350Z for my bug. The Z is an '03, 6sp manual with about 160k on it. They are asking $9100 for it. I have not heard reports of how these cars handle high miles, so hopefully someone here can chime in.

I apologize for the long first post but I'm very excited about possibly getting into a Z car (finally)! Looking forward to talking with you all!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:17 PM
freshlettuce

I used to own an rx-8, it was amazing. If you're looking to race, the rx8 is an amazing track car. you're just gonna have to lob in a lot of money to make it quick.

and 160k is a ton of miles for the z's engine and transmission.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 PM
henry j

gl to your new change but i think its going to be hard to adjust from german built cars
Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Shifty

Originally Posted by henry j
gl to your new change but i think its going to be hard to adjust from german built cars
How so? I know what to expect from Japanese cars, I've owned a few. In fact we have an '02 Mitsubishi Montero for truckster duty! Sure it sounds like it's falling to pieces but it's dead reliable!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:39 PM
neox

Avoid the 2003s, weak trannys, window motor problems, and tire feathering. I test drove 2 2003 Zs with < 50k miles and both grinded gears when I shifted them hard, I can only imagine the problems a 2003 with 160k would have. Get a 2004.5-2005(non 50th-anniversary edition), or a 2007-2009 if you want to avoid major drivetrain issues.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:09 PM
CircleHeartX

i personally think you will be a very happy man with the Z coming from a bug.if your looking for a track car then that Z might not be that bad of a choice?..
rx8 handle like a dream so ive herd?but lack lots of performance..so i think the Z would be a better choice all around.
Dont have much knowledge for you but hope it helps.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Zian

Originally Posted by henry j
Fairly sure the entire world knows that japanese cars are built better than most german cars. He's a VW guy so he knows how to fix a damn car!

As for the actual questions, I was down to a 350 or RX-8 and I damn near bought the RX. Here is what I will say. First, test drive em both. I LOVED the rx-8...but then I drove the Z and the RX-8 felt like a toy. You talked about really feeling RWD and hanging the tail out a bit...that will all come easier with TORQUE...which the Z has plenty and the RX-8 has extremely little.

As for tracking: The RX-8 is a dream around an autocross course...and I was MORE than impressed with my Z on a road course. Unfortunately I have not autocrossed the Z (yet) or had the pleasure of driving an RX-8 on a road course. If you plan to do any drag racing, the Z is your car (between the two).

Can't go wrong with either...but the drive should tell you all you need to know.

Good luck and nice choices!!
Old 07-30-2009, 12:19 AM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by neox
Avoid the 2003s, weak trannys, window motor problems, and tire feathering. I test drove 2 2003 Zs with < 50k miles and both grinded gears when I shifted them hard, I can only imagine the problems a 2003 with 160k would have. Get a 2004.5-2005(non 50th-anniversary edition), or a 2007-2009 if you want to avoid major drivetrain issues.
Yea because the 06's have drivetrain issues. Most 06's now either don't have the oil consumption or have had the engine replaced. The 06's also have the best trans between the 03-05 the CD009 so you can honestly buy an 06 with confidence.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:16 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome. A guy a used to work with said my Z looked like a Beetle, so I guess you're not making a big change.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:21 AM
aRYip

why dun u think about the s2k if you are only want a track car?
Old 07-30-2009, 05:10 AM
Shifty

Originally Posted by aRYip
why dun u think about the s2k if you are only want a track car?
I had acually thought about that one too but it doesn't get me all aroused like the Z and RX.

Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:50 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So go buy one. Its been 9 months. What’s the hold up.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

since my z is a dd/fun car gas mileage was of concern. I test drove an rx8 before the Z, and the mileage had me reluctant. it handled really well and the ride was smooth and a bit lux which kind of made me feel disconnected from the car. the lack of torque was definitely present, but it moved alright.

the z made me feel a lot more connected and had the torque and the mileage that made the car a better all around pick for me.

drive them both. your opinion may vary. side note, you know that cash for clunkers deal where you can trade in inefficient vehicles and get a credit on the purchase price? yeah, the rx8 qualifies for that, along with all the much older cars lol. laughed when I saw that on the list.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:58 AM
racerx300zx

The RX-8, at least to me, was a terrible Auto-X car. The power band just doesn't lend itself to being cone chase friendly. The handling is amazing on the RX-8, but, at least to me, it doesn't make up for the fact that the rotary just doesn't have any grunt power. If you want daily driving comfort and a semi family car, hold out for the G35. Or honestly, get an EVO or a STi. Both cars excel as track/autocross/family cars.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Shifty

Originally Posted by davidv

So go buy one. Its been 9 months. What’s the hold up.

We are just finishing up my wife's Jetta project, which means we'll have 3 cars: an SUV, my bug, and the Jetta. So I can buy a 2-seater and use it on days I won't be hauling kids.

The G35, STI, and Evo are all great cars and on my short list, but they command a little more money and are harder to find.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:17 PM
xNeo

Originally Posted by Shifty
We are just finishing up my wife's Jetta project, which means we'll have 3 cars: an SUV, my bug, and the Jetta. So I can buy a 2-seater and use it on days I won't be hauling kids.

The G35, STI, and Evo are all great cars and on my short list, but they command a little more money and are harder to find.
Dude, get an 05 Z you won't regret it. It's a fun, sexy, trackable car!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:55 PM
mk3vento96

Originally Posted by xNeo
Dude, get an 05 Z you won't regret it. It's a fun, sexy, trackable car!
I was in the VW scene for 8 years and i must say there is nothing more sexy then a VW mk2 or mk3 dropped with RS's and a shaved bay. hence my screenname. So to come over because your looking for sexiness is not the reason

I must say the Z scene has nothing on the VW scene. The vdub scene is one of its own and the "chill ,good time atmosphere" is like no other. Vdub people help each other, i notice the "Z" scene you have alot of hard a$$e$, with the whole "my z is better then ur z" attitude. gets old...

As far as the Car's itself, if your looking for power and handling with a great look, the 350z is the car. Its not a secret the 350z and 370z is probably one of the best built cars for its dollar ever. In that aspect, the vdubs come no where near in enigeering and handling.

so if your looking for a fun time, and some real power to the wheel do it, one thing for sure is that if you do buy a 350z you will not be dissapointed. As for me, i do miss the vw scene but i love my 350z

heres my vdub

heres what i have now
Old 07-30-2009, 03:06 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly. The RX8 is great on a autox but that is all. The Z is better on a road course and it has the power to go with it. The RX8 just doesn't have the gerbils to go fast.

Originally Posted by Zian
Fairly sure the entire world knows that japanese cars are built better than most german cars. He's a VW guy so he knows how to fix a damn car!

As for the actual questions, I was down to a 350 or RX-8 and I damn near bought the RX. Here is what I will say. First, test drive em both. I LOVED the rx-8...but then I drove the Z and the RX-8 felt like a toy. You talked about really feeling RWD and hanging the tail out a bit...that will all come easier with TORQUE...which the Z has plenty and the RX-8 has extremely little.

As for tracking: The RX-8 is a dream around an autocross course...and I was MORE than impressed with my Z on a road course. Unfortunately I have not autocrossed the Z (yet) or had the pleasure of driving an RX-8 on a road course. If you plan to do any drag racing, the Z is your car (between the two).

Can't go wrong with either...but the drive should tell you all you need to know.

Good luck and nice choices!!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Shifty

Nice Vento... vento.

Well I went tonight and drove the 165k mile Z car. I gotta say, I expected the worst and although the car had some cosmetic issues (interior plastic wear, a gnarled drivers seat bolster, faded headlamps and some rock chips) it drove incredibly well! I really wanted to drive it just to see what to expect from a Z with that many miles, and I was impressed! The car felt planted and solid, pulled hard and made no funny noises or rattles. The only mechanical flaw I could find was warped rotors, and the sidewalls of the front tires were scrubbed about halfway up. Brand new ones on the rear... kinda fishy...

But anyway, no deal was struck and in the end I walked away. It's still on my list I suppose, but I figure I'll need to put $2000 in it to make it perfect again, and for that kind of money I might as well get one that's already where I want it to be.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:45 PM
tirekicker

I've had my 05 for about a week. Its ther perfect balance between newness and affordability. The yaer I mean not the car. I know you'll probably be fine with an 06... but for me PROBABLY wasn't good enough. The oil consumption isue is just to big a risk in those 06's (for me anyway) I waited it out and got a great deal on an 05 with low km's..... could not be happier.

Oh... I also almost bought a RX8 but I just couldn't after driving the Z. It really didn't feel like a true sports car to me. Disconnected, and airy.... best I can describe it... not enough growl and grit, too soft and light. Plus, from what I have read the RX*'s seem to need alot more maintenance and $$$$ to keep them tip top.

Quick Reply: VW guy getting ready to buy a Z... maybe...