Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Destoyed Z...with a horrible twist.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:12 PM
lugrug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure it is reported to the police as unauthorized use. Depending on the State, the insurance implications can be tremendous between authorized and unauthorized.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Krux

Wouldn't the simple fix be, "I didn't give him permission to take the car, he stole it" and the insurance pays? and they go after him instead of you? Friend or not you don't take some one's car DRUNK then wreck the **** and not have to pay for it.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:11 PM
TheOrteganator

He was an unauthorized driver of the car and as a result your insurance may now cover it- but his insurance will have to step in if that's the case and cover him as a driver. It's a tough situation because it's your car, but you weren't there. An authorized driver of your car let the person have the keys to the car to hold but not drive, and then they drove it anyway and wrecked it. It's obvious what happened but I'm just playing the devil's advocate here saying that it's likely to be argued that your girlfriend gave him permission or something ridiculous like that to try and put it back on your insurance. The fact that he was over the legal limit will definitely not help things though.

I haven't read through everything on here yet but have you been in contact with your insurance directly yet? They'll be glad to walk you through the steps that are likely to happen and give you some peace of mind knowing how it's all going to be handled.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Swimminggerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xzotklr
No way!!!! Who's going drive the car harder than an "enthusiast friend"!!!!!???
the enthusiast who respects you as a friend and your vehicle for being a cherished work or machinery.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:15 PM
DeUceZ

DANG bro this sucks, best of luck with the insurance.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:42 PM
bluevelvet

hope you sort this out man.. and as for your girl she seems to be a smart person just a bit careless and a bit too trustful.. i dont blame you for letting your girl drive your car if i was out or not at home and my girl needed a car for what ever reason i wouldnt hesitate to tell her to take my car.. i love my car have quite a bit money in it.. and sometimes when i feel lazy she drives and i ride shot gun.. its just a bad choice your girl made.. but atleast now you know how your neighbor gets when he i drunk... plain retarded.. lol..

GL with the ordeal.. my cuzn is in japan with the marines.. and will be going to afgan soon.. so i know its hard being away from your girl.. he is married.. so its sucks a bit more..
Old 08-05-2009, 12:55 AM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by bluevelvet
hope you sort this out man.. and as for your girl she seems to be a smart person just a bit careless and a bit too trustful.. i dont blame you for letting your girl drive your car if i was out or not at home and my girl needed a car for what ever reason i wouldnt hesitate to tell her to take my car.. i love my car have quite a bit money in it.. and sometimes when i feel lazy she drives and i ride shot gun.. its just a bad choice your girl made.. but atleast now you know how your neighbor gets when he i drunk... plain retarded.. lol..

GL with the ordeal.. my cuzn is in japan with the marines.. and will be going to afgan soon.. so i know its hard being away from your girl.. he is married.. so its sucks a bit more..
He already said she has her own car, a Cobalt too, so if it got wrecked, no big deal.

Oh and punctuation can be your friend.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Boogshag

That's a lot of sentences that trail off with ellipses! Anyway, good luck getting this sorted out. Update us on the progress. I would feel sick if that happened to me...(ellipsis)
Old 08-06-2009, 05:46 PM
CancerJCCz

Originally Posted by Enron Exec
Cars are easier to fix then relationships. You sound like a nice guy, and your girl just needs to learn to think a bit more i suppose. Hopefully shes learned to be more responsible form this experience. I hope everything works out for you.
Thank you. Yes she is very remorseful about the situation. You never think something as simple as an idiot holding the keys could turn so wrong in an instant.

Originally Posted by lugrug
Make sure it is reported to the police as unauthorized use. Depending on the State, the insurance implications can be tremendous between authorized and unauthorized.
Definitely was. I am awaiting word from my insurance as to what Trenton told them. If he admits what happened then it should be cut and dry his insurance covers.

Originally Posted by Krux
Wouldn't the simple fix be, "I didn't give him permission to take the car, he stole it" and the insurance pays? and they go after him instead of you? Friend or not you don't take some one's car DRUNK then wreck the **** and not have to pay for it.
It is just a BIT more complicated than he stole it. If the keys had been lying on the table for instance no problem the report would read stolen vehicle but because of the aforementioned key exchange, who knows.

Originally Posted by TheOrteganator
He was an unauthorized driver of the car and as a result your insurance may now cover it- but his insurance will have to step in if that's the case and cover him as a driver. It's a tough situation because it's your car, but you weren't there. An authorized driver of your car let the person have the keys to the car to hold but not drive, and then they drove it anyway and wrecked it. It's obvious what happened but I'm just playing the devil's advocate here saying that it's likely to be argued that your girlfriend gave him permission or something ridiculous like that to try and put it back on your insurance. The fact that he was over the legal limit will definitely not help things though.

I haven't read through everything on here yet but have you been in contact with your insurance directly yet? They'll be glad to walk you through the steps that are likely to happen and give you some peace of mind knowing how it's all going to be handled.
Yes basically I am awaiting to here what he had to say to my insurance. That is also basically the pivot point to the case. We will have to see in a few more days.
Originally Posted by DeUceZ
DANG bro this sucks, best of luck with the insurance.
Thank you.

Thank you for the kind words. She admits fuking up and is very sick about it all. You just never think something like this will happen. I guess you can't be to careful.

(See update on page one)
Old 08-27-2009, 04:22 PM
CancerJCCz

Update: Not sure if anyone even cares but the update is that USAA came through and paid for my car and upgrades. Although my rates will increase a bit I was happy with the number they gave me and have purchased an 04 CTS-V! I won't pick it up until next weekend but am very excited and can't wait. Thank you all who offered sympathy or advice during the crazy time that was the car wreck!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:31 PM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Congrats man, nice pick up! Now, don't let a woman touch this one, k?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:53 PM
angelzhope720

Army hooah!

this is a reason i would never let someone drive my car without me there. gluck with everything.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:49 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad everything worked out. USAA is a great insurance company and really take good care of there customers. Nice pick up by the way. My pops shop specializes in Caddys, so if you every need anything let me know.

-Chris
Old 08-28-2009, 10:13 AM
jerZey 350

Good to hear everything turned out good. the cts-v is a great buy, i had one for a few months awesome and crazy fast. enjoy and be safe
Old 08-28-2009, 11:44 AM
gmueip
Hi Kids!

Nice pick up. Pics are a must.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:48 AM
michaeljr6

damn a mutual friend was with you gf in your car....something doesn't sound right. dump your gf and get a new car.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:16 PM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my rates went up, I would expect my friend to cover the difference until they leveled off again. Sucks you are in this situation, but at least it sounds like it is getting handled.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 AM
garytucker

Originally Posted by imonlykidden
my wife drives the Z better than me. Since I learned how to drive manual on the Z and she been driving manual since she was young (of driving age).
I'm glad to see that there are some reasonable people here when it comes to women driving cars!

My wife learned to drive in a 1949 Chevy pickup with a three-on-the-tree and was driving an SD 455 Firebird when I met her. She has an incredible reaction time at the drag strip and I'd let her drive ANY car we own. Her daily driver is our '09 Corvette with a manual transmission. SHE ordered the car like she wanted it...so I guess not all ladies are unworthy of driving sports cars?!

I love to correct the "vette guys" that the corvette is the wife's car!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 AM
garytucker

Originally Posted by CancerJCCz
Update: Not sure if anyone even cares but the update is that USAA came through and paid for my car and upgrades. Although my rates will increase a bit I was happy with the number they gave me and have purchased an 04 CTS-V! I won't pick it up until next weekend but am very excited and can't wait. Thank you all who offered sympathy or advice during the crazy time that was the car wreck!
Glad to hear it worked out. You'll love the V...very good car.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:46 PM
ezpotato

Pics of the cts-v!

Quick Reply: Destoyed Z...with a horrible twist.