2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

The ding, scratch, etc question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 06:41 PM
perucho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The ding, scratch, etc question

Ok guys and gals, I'm sure this has happened to you one day:

You walk up to you your car and notice either a (noticeable) ding or scratch that was not there before. The question is, how long did it take until your nightmare because a reality?

My answer:
It took me about a complete year until I finally noticed a 1 inch in diameter ding on the driver side door My Z is Chrome silver so it doesn't look too bad. I'm just waiting until some other idiot makes a bigger ding by opening their door against mine and finally get all those dings and scratches repaired.

So....how about you?
Old 10-05-2003, 06:54 PM
Dissolved

been a couple months. Don't have any dings. Have one scratch on hood from my cat. Dealer is fixing on Tuesday. Also have chips in front from rocks. That's unavoidable.

About the dings....

Do the usual. Double park far away. I used to just single park until morons started PURPOSELY parking right next to me. If you DO have to park near other cars, write down the make,model and license plate of the cars on either side of you. Just in case something happens and they decide to take off
Old 10-05-2003, 08:04 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

It took almost a year, and then I drove into a bucket in the garage with a pipe sticking out, and got a 4 inch gash.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:19 PM
mooch

I'm not sure taking up two spots is the way to go. That can cause some people to view you as being an elitist that feels you need two spots instead of one like everyone else. When some people start thinking that way you might get keyed. I say just park away from everyone if possible and take a normal space.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:39 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

double park your car and Ill key the damn thing(not really but it pisses me off), unless you mean like LAST spot, in which case still not smart cause people are all alone to mess with it.

the Z is nice, but its a car and no one is entitled to 2 spots IMO.

anyway... I am quite bummed, cause in my way over reacting opinion my car looks horrible, I have dings that Ive touched up, and now big scratches that I have no clue where they came from, as well as spots that dont seem to go away. dont even get me started on bugs, they seem to be baked on, clay did a good job, but not perfect, and it caused some nasty marks of its own...

yeah, needless to say, after a year of ownership and only 8000miles my car LOOKs a year old regaurdless of my ever present attempts to avoid it.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:40 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by ares
double park your car and Ill key the damn thing(not really but it pisses me off), unless you mean like LAST spot, in which case still not smart cause people are all alone to mess with it.

the Z is nice, but its a car and no one is entitled to 2 spots IMO.

anyway... I am quite bummed, cause in my way over reacting opinion my car looks horrible, I have dings that Ive touched up, and now big scratches that I have no clue where they came from, as well as spots that dont seem to go away. dont even get me started on bugs, they seem to be baked on, clay did a good job, but not perfect, and it caused some nasty marks of its own...

yeah, needless to say, after a year of ownership and only 8000miles my car LOOKs a year old regaurdless of my ever present attempts to avoid it.
Which is why my car doesnt have all those things and yours does When I double park, I always ask for a seat near the window so I can watch the Z. If it's a crowded restaurant and I know I can't be near the window, I'll park in the back near employee parking. That way they just think you work there
About the clay marks.....try buffing them out. If that doesnt work, use Meguiars Step1. Sometimes the clay, if not lubricated enough, WILL leave marks. Comes right off, don't worry. PM me if you need help ares

Originally posted by mooch I'm not sure taking up two spots is the way to go. That can cause some people to view you as being an elitist that feels you need two spots instead of one like everyone else. When some people start thinking that way you might get keyed. I say just park away from everyone if possible and take a normal space.
When I say 2 spots, I mean in an empty parking lot. Near the back. I thought I made that clear when I said "double park far away." Of course it's not something you want to do when there is a limited amount of parking available, that's common sense.

To each his own. But I learned my lesson

Last edited by Dissolved; 10-05-2003 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:27 AM
ares
Veteran

yeah tho it pisses me off, on the other hand Im happy. the first-20th scratch was painful, but now... I donno, I can relax a little, dont have to sit by the window, or any of that.

owell, I do what I can and in a year or 2 Ill bring it in to be touched up.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:50 AM
vancitydude

Unhappy

took me two days and 248km on the odometer before some kid drove into my driver side door with his bicycle... had my roadster parallel parked at the side of the road... two massive scratches and dents from his pedal and forks... almost cried... Me, not the kid.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:24 AM
350zSpeedRacer

It took about 4 months and 6000 miles before some jagoff dented my car. Had to have been done by someone leaning on it because the dent was way to weird to have been done by a door. So now, if I ever see anyone leaning on my car, they better be prepared to have a 5'2" girl kick their ***. That's just rude no matter what car it is.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:11 AM
WayneTN

Originally posted by vancitydude
... almost cried... Me, not the kid.
LOL.

Wayne
Old 10-06-2003, 10:12 AM
jmark

Try PDR Paintless Dent Removal. It works.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:31 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by ares
Take up two spaces at the mall during the Christmas shopping season if you really hate yourself.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:43 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Originally posted by yobri
Take up two spaces at the mall during the Christmas shopping season if you really hate yourself.
Yikes! Talk about getting lynched if you tried that one! lol Those moms in mini vans are scary during Christmas shopping.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:21 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my first "owie" yesterday.....minor though it may be. I was making a uturn on a residential street with low rolled curbs. Heard this "bang" & said "what the m&%#*&^% f&*%#&@ is that?". Turns out there was a storm inlet with steel grade in the curb that was vertical & caught it with the very lower tip of the bumper on the right side. inch & half gash down to the white stuff.

its a jungle out there!
Old 10-06-2003, 03:36 PM
Montez

Got mine on the 350 a few months ago, I was backing in our 89 Bad weather Maxima to put something heavy in the trunk and I didnt judge to well and scrapped the fender/ rear tire area and scrapped the splash guard. My wife was pissed off but got over it and while she was in my 03 Maxima she got a scratch put on it by a basket its small but their. I think she did it on purpose!
Old 10-06-2003, 04:03 PM
ILust4Z

Originally posted by jmark
Try PDR Paintless Dent Removal. It works.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is PDR, and where can I get it?
Old 10-06-2003, 05:36 PM
Beamm

3 weeks, 400 miles and some jack*** at my apartment complex whacks my door. What's sad is the fact that the parking spaces at my place are HUGE and i was parked in the center and he still hit me while the parking spaces at school are tiny (Z is wide enough that there is only maybe 4 inches on either side before the stripe) and I haven't gotten hit there. Go figure
Old 10-06-2003, 09:44 PM
edubbzzz

Ok, im going to top it off, first 2500 miles parked at a bar having drinks with some chic i just met(god i love my car) come outside after having a GREAT time to find some jerk&*^% side swipped my front fenter and some how managed to hit the pass mirror and break the glass, i wanted to cry, the chic i was with did! I'm left to pay for the damages cause NOBODY saw anything! Next, 4th of july 3250 miles little kid, bottle rockets, need i say more minor ding on my roof kid didnt kow when to throw them in the air so they go UP and NOT up then DOWN with more force, DAMN idiot! AND, That storm Damn Beeotch ISABEL, ripped a tree branch of a tree,.... i wasnt parked near a tree.... on the roof another minor ding, Then this girl i met which i REALLY REALLY like until BAM she swings her door open like the mindless "blonde" she is WHAM right into my drivers door nice crease, and all i said was Thanks HUNNY! I'm such a sucker, anyway i got rid of her her damages where costing me more then she was, well thats about it beside the two little scratches in the drivers door from the same girl and her Coach bag left me, im done waiting till the summer to fix!!! body kit and new paint..... two tone maybe silverstone to super black what do you think????

LaterZ,
Erich
Old 10-07-2003, 07:31 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by The Rat's Z
Got my first "owie" yesterday.....minor though it may be. I was making a uturn on a residential street with low rolled curbs. Heard this "bang" & said "what the m&%#*&^% f&*%#&@ is that?". Turns out there was a storm inlet with steel grade in the curb that was vertical & caught it with the very lower tip of the bumper on the right side. inch & half gash down to the white stuff.

its a jungle out there!
Whoa Rats... first time I ever heard you angry.

Sorry to hear man...
Old 06-21-2005, 10:51 PM
NTRIGUE

17,800 MILES - NO DINGS - NO SCRATCHES - 1 MM Removed on Bumper - Bullseye in Windshield

Quick Reply: The ding, scratch, etc question